“Interesting to find a dutch cafe in Raleigh”
Review of Benelux Coffee

Benelux Coffee
Ranked #6 of 50 Coffee & Tea in Raleigh
Price range: US$2 - US$7
Cuisines: Belgian, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Benelux Coffee is Raleigh Roasted. We started roasting our beans in small batches specifically for our cafes. The original Benelux opened on the East Side of Downtown Raleigh in 2010 with just coffee and tea on the menu. By early 2011, Belgian Wafels were added and became a huge success. We started baking most of our baked goods and creating sandwiches at our Alexander Family Y.M.C.A. Location in 2012. Now we're preparing to open our Cameron Village location for this December. Our passion is to bring a little piece of the Benelux countries to Raleigh, NC. Fresh Coffee, made to order Belgian Wafels, Belgian-style Biers, and a gathering for Cyclists is what we love. Cheers!
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had an iced tea that was very good, but what surprised me was the range of dutch products they had on offer. We had no problems whatsoever with the service. The cafe wasn't busy when we arrived (saturday early pm) so the attendant took his time to help and serve us and that was very nice. Good products, good variety, but the cafe needs a bit of a makeover, some new paint on the walls to make them the same colour all over would make it look nicer.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I went to Benelux Cafe with my friend, who happens to be Dutch and grew up in Aruba. She was ecstatic to find the menu was written in Dutch and that there were many Dutch foods including Booterkoek. They also have Belgium waffles which were perfectly crispy on the edges with a soft, light middle. The coffee and hot chocolate were delicious and the aura of the shop was perfect for relaxing and conversation. There was also very cool art lining the walls. If I lived in raleigh I would come here all the time!

2  Thank treegirl85
Reviewed 9 March 2014

This place was a great find from Yelp for a brunch alternative to our hotel. We found this quaint place conveniently located right off the square in the Market Center. They open a little late on weekends for a coffee place but it was worth the wait. First, the coffee is awesome. I had the kings special and it was so rich. Second, the waffles. Homemade and not like if YOU made them at home. My son got one with strawberries and whipped cream. His 8 year old assessment: "It was like an angel came down from heaven and made it". The whipped cream was generous and freshly made, not out of a can. Now we get to the savory waffle. Well I still wouldn't call it savory because it has syrup and powdered sugar but, get this, it has BACON, in the batter. YES BACON. It was so yummy and the coffee was a great match to it. This place reminds me of street food in Berlin, waffles and crepes with Nutello on corners. There were three staff there on a Saturday morning with a brisk traffic. It does take a bit longer even to get coffee but it is all made to order and better than Starbucks. The building is rustic and preserving the historical significance. One staff seemed like the manager, he was very friendly and welcoming. Another staff was our cashier and he seemed detached, although totally competent with order. I think maybe he hadn't had his first cup yet. The last was a friendly female. This place looks like a neighborhood favorite with European soccer on the TV and lots of couples. It is a nice blend of old world, old and new, as we checked out on a mounted iPad. Prices were very reasonable, especially given the superiority of the product. My husband's assessment really sums this place up. He said "I'm so glad this place isn't in our town, because I would have to eat / get coffee here at least every other day".

1  Thank WordlyWannabe
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

The coffee was awesome, tried the king and queen favorites and it was more than satisfying. Unfortunately we came at 6ish and we couldn't try the waffles... Sadness. The place is cozy but a makeover is necessary to at least portrait the great coffee that is served here.

1  Thank Mita05
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Best coffee in Raleigh. Benelux roasts their own coffee and serves it up w/ some great pastries, muffins and waffles! In historic downtown city market, be sure to check them out!

1  Thank stevenkbutler76