“Miserable Stay”

Extended Stay America - Raleigh - Crabtree Valley
Ranked #61 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
North Carolina
Reviewed 21 January 2006

Upon arriving I was assigned a room after waiting for about twenty minutes. When we proceeded to the room, found the room had not been cleaned for the next guests (us). Went back to the registration desk and advised them the room was not clean. Another twenty minutes later without an apology we were assigned to another room. This room had been cleaned, but very poorly. One of the beds had dirty linen. Reported this to the desk and about an hour later they brought clean linens and changed the bed. The night was horrendous. Will never stay there again. Oh by the way when I went to check out, they said the room would be free since we had so many problems. However, three charges appeared on my credit card bill. It took me three months to get this charge corrected.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 10 October 2005

Check-in was ridiculous. There were two people behind the desk, and neither seemed to have a clue what they were doing. What should have taken maybe 5 minutes took 15. Then the guy, when telling us where our room was, kind of shrugged and said, "It's over there somewhere." Just a tad unprofessional. Anyway, so we found our room and it was okay except there were no pans with which to cook. However we were able to get one from the front desk, but at first they didn't believe us that the pan was missing. There also wasn't any dish soap (I'm not sure whether there is supposed to be any or not) so we couldn't wash our dishes. There's only one pair of everything, so it can be annoying when you can basically only eat in for one meal because you can't wash anything. The motel's location is pretty decent, but we've stayed in better for less in the same area. We'd return only if it's the lowest-priced place, but otherwise... no way.

• Stayed: October 2005, travelled on business
2  Thank VA_Girl
Reviewed 28 September 2005

I wound up staying here through a Priceline bid. I saw the reviews were less than stellar, so I was prepared for the worst. What I encountered was far from the worst, but there were some small flaws.

The main problem was the previous guest smoked in the non-smoking room. One small burn mark on the floor and one on the bed spread. There was a strong hint of cleaning solution in the air, but that dissipated as I opened and reopened the room door to unload the car. With the air cleared, it was a matter of tossing the bed spread aside (I don’t like heavy covers anyway) and simply ignoring the small mark on the carpet. Except for leaving the bed spread, they did OK in making the room acceptable after it had been smoked in.

Everything else was in clean and working condition. Clean sheets, clean bathroom, clean kitchen except for one missed wrapper deep in a cupboard corner, and everything worked. There was no noise coming through the walls, no parties outside, and no hint of the traffic noise on US-70 just up the hill. There are no restaurants within a five minute walk, but plenty within a five minute drive, and there were some grocery stores in the same radius for stocking the fridge. Unlike a lot of other properties, the small clock/radio actually picked up some radio stations, so I got to wake up to music instead of a buzzer. The staff was pleasant and efficient at check in/out.

This property met my admittedly basic standards, and I’d go back if I was in the area.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank MikeBHR
Reviewed 10 September 2005

Clean, comfortable and quiet room at a great price (~$50/night). Close proximity to NC State stadiums and downtown Raleigh. Would stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank Scott B
Southampton, NY
Reviewed 20 August 2005

There is only one reason I return to this facility repeatedly: it is pet-friendly, and I have two small dogs. However, that being said, there isn't a lot to recommend the place. In its defense, I will say that it is conveniently located just off a major road, Glenwood Avenue, very near a lovely shopping mall (Crabtree) and expressway access (I 440).

The motel itself looks fine from the outside, and there is a little kitchenette in the room. However, it is of minimal use when it is so poorly outfitted. A few plates, mugs, some flatware, and two pans. No can opener, no sharp knives, no utensils for cooking. But I like having a refrigerator (full size), and I can prepare my morning hot drink, at least.

One of my complaints is that the rooms are not particularly clean and one must go to the office for new towels (half the time they didn't have what I needed, especially wash cloths and dish towels). There was no mattress pad on the bed, and the bottom sheet wouldn't remain securely on the bed. The sheets were unchanged for my entire ten day visit, as there was no maid service for my room because of the pets. Having stayed there before, I came prepared with my own pillows. There were cigarette burns on the bedspread, as well as the kitchen counter. I had reserved a non-smoking room, but when I arrived, they only had a smoking room available. To a non-smoker, the stench of stale smoke is disgusting.

Another problem is the clientele. Because of the kitchenette and the relatively low cost, there have been times when I've stayed there surrounded by construction crews housed there, I suppose, by whatever company is paying for their services. That's okay until they decide to have evening beer parties in the parking lot, complete with car stereos blaring. It is intimidating to return to the motel at night and to have to wade through a throng of shirtless, beer bottle holding men to get to my room. There is no security guard or late night desk clerk on the premises.

On this most recent visit, there was a huge party (looked like a prom night party judging by the attire, but it's the wrong time of year for that) on the second floor. Loud music and lots of young people partying noisily. I just turned up the volume on my TV. Once again, no one on the premises to whom to complain. The next day, as I walked my dogs, the parking lot was strewn with post-party debris: all manner of food and their containers had apparently been tossed from the second floor balcony, as well as a few personal items. Most disturbing was the shattered glass from what I assume were beer bottles. When I went to the office to report the glass (and debris), other patrons were complaining to the hapless clerk about the party that kept them up half the night. The clerk expressed suprise that a party took place...such activities were not allowed and the security guard should have stopped it. Security guard??? In all my stays (four, total), I have never, ever seen a security guard. It took three days of my going to the office and informing yet another clerk (always a different one on duty) of the shattered glass in the parking lot to get it cleaned up.

I will say that the clerks were uniformly pleasant and cooperative, if not always effective. And everything in the room functioned properly (TV, refrigerator, stove, lights, A/C). It is difficult for someone to phone you in your room because the incoming caller doesn't get a real person, only a recording. Even if the incoming caller knows the patron's room number, he cannot make contact: one must know the extension number of the room. One cannot blame the facility for lousy cell phone reception, but it was amusing to see everyone outside on their cell phones in the parking lot or on the balcony. As with the land line, it makes receiving a call problematic.

Will I stay at Homestead Raleigh Crabtree again? Probably. All things considered, it is convenient for my purposes, it's relatively inexpensive (there is a per pet fee which makes it a little pricier), and they don't hassle me about my dogs. There's something to be said for that. But as a woman traveling alone, it does not feel very secure, especially with the kind of partying I've witnessed on several of my visits. A visible and effective security force would go a long way towards solving my major complaints about Homestead.

• Stayed: August 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 October 2003

This hotel is located in a secluded area off of the main road. There are many trees and a few picnic tables, so the setting is quite pleasant. The weekend was very quiet, but on Monday things changed. The parking lot got LOUD late at night , and because the room walls are very thin it was difficult to sleep. Also I don't enjoy waking up when my neighbor's alarm goes off. The room does have a full size refrigerator,microwave and a two-burner cooktop. It has a recliner and an eating area. I paid about $50 a night using the internet. I'm sure there are nicer suites available for about the same price(Candlewood Suites for one). No, I wouldn't stay there again.

1  Thank Hiranyaloka
Reviewed 16 August 2002

My husband and I stayed at the Homestead in San Antonio Texas, near the airport. I made my reservations on the internet. We were given a suite at the back of the hotel. The suite smelt of pesticide. On the side of the bed was a dying roach. The suite is smaller than a room at Motel 6.

If staying in a very small room is not your taste, when booking a suite at the Homestead Suites, make sure you ask for a double suite.

I must say when I asked for another suite, the after hours front desk clerk assisted me without any problem. We were moved to another suite, the same size and a lot cleaner with no bugs.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member