“The best yet.”

Ranked #35 of 86 Hotels in Raleigh
Louisville, Kentucky
“The best yet.”
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I have been staying in Candlewood Suites hotels for a little over a year now, and they continue to impress me as a hotel chain again and again. The Candles Suites Raleigh-Crabtree is, quite honestly, the best that I have stayed in thus far, surpassing the two CS's I stayed at prior. There is a reason it is ranked as one of Raleigh's top hotels, and you can see it in just about every aspect of this hotel. I have been here since August 2011 on the third floor.

I have, so far, stayed in two different rooms in this particular hotel, once in one of the single bedroom suites, and currently in a studio suite. Most of the major points apply to both rooms. The bathroom areas were both very neat and clean, no paint peeling or mold. The showers have very good water pressure, with a older-style pressure adjuster so you can tweak it to your liking. The bed is soft and comfortable, and the AC's in the rooms are great. I was especially glad that I never had to rig something up to keep tripping the sensor in either of my rooms to get the A/C to kick on. My studio was so nice, I kept my window open most of the time, with my climate control turned off, and even on cooler days, it was veyr comfortable in my room.

The kitchenette is, as always with this chain, a time and money saver. Nothing terribly special to write home about, but useful nonetheless. The big differences, obviously, come with space. I do have to note, one of my two criticisms with this hotel (this one being a rather miniscule issue), is that only the bedroom suites have flat panel TV's. The studios' still have CRT's, which was a bit of a bummer when I went to the studio. Both rooms had enough table real estate to accommodate my desktop, monitor, and Xbox 360. The rooms are fairly quiet, and well sound-proofed. You will only occasionally hear traffic noise, which are usually emergency services vehicles traveling up Lead Mine Rd.

The other complaint I have, which for me is a bit higher due to the nature of my work, is the hotel's internet connection. While it performs fairly for speed, it only does so after you pay a fee for extra bandwidth. The free connection caps out at around 750 kbps, and to get the 2 mbps connection, you have to pay $4.99 for a day, $19.99 for a week, or $59.99 for a month. Your purchase also only applies to a single device, so if you have multiple networked devices, you have to pay for each of them if you want decent speeds.

The staff of this hotel are great. I really can't think of anything else to say. Every one of them is friendly, accommodating, and willing to work with you.

As with all Candlewood Suites, this is an extended stay hotel. You will only get housekeeping services once a week, so plan accordingly. New linens can be requested at the front desk.

The hotel is very easy to locate, just off of I-440, off Glenwood Avenue. It's about 10 minutes from downtown Raleigh, and getting into town is fairly easy. The Crabtree mall is right across the street, offering lots of shopping opportunities. There are also several delivery options if you do not feel like cooking. Free Washer/Dryers are a staple of the CS name, and they also have a fitness and business center.

Overall, I cannot recommend this hotel enough. I will almost be troubled to leave, because I doubt anywhere else I stay will come to this level of quality in a hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 November 2011

This was my second time staying with Candlewood Suites and have to say it was great. The people are great and the establishment was clean like always, I know when I stay at a Candelwood I will be taken care of. I love staying at a Candlewood!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Staff is friendly and hospitable, rooms are clean, next best thing to being home. Bob Carignan

• Stayed October 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This was one of the least expensive hotels I've stayed at on a business trip ($89/night). It was very clean, staff was nice. The room was large with full kitchen and decent work area. Bathroom was good size, very clean. Toiletries were not great but - for the money - at least they had them. Candlewood has free washers/dryers which is great if your trip gets extended like mine did. Also - they have no food per se but their pantry concept - sort of an honor system shop in the lobby - was very handy for snacks, coffee, tea, water, etc. I'd stay there again. The location is great and parking was a breeze.

Candlewood saves money by not having anyone clean the rooms other than once a week. I must say it would have been nice to have my garbage taken out but other than that - who really needs their bed made for them every day and other things regular hotels do? It feels more like your own little home away from home without the service, in my opinion. And the savings gets passed on!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I'm on the road about 175 nights a year. This Candlewood is my home away from home. The management and staff treat you like family and always go the extra mile to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Its great to know you will always check into a clean room with no surprises. The hotel is located for quick and convient travel around the Triangle area. All the extras at the hotel makes like on the road so much more enjoyable. I'd highly recommend this hotel for either a quick visit to the area, or for a long term stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
On The Road
Reviewed 3 October 2011

This hotel has a lot of positives, and very few negatives.

First the positives - the hotel is clean, fresh, and just recently had new carpet installed.
The free laundry room is a great asset to an extended stay hotel.
The hotel is very easy to navigate - the large signs are very helpful in finding your rooms.
There is almost always someone at the desk. I have read a few reviews of Candlewood properties where it is nearly impossible to find a front desk staff member.
The a/c worked very well - and was on a motion sensing thermostat, so when you entered the room it was a little warm, but that didn't last more then 5 minutes or so.

There were plenty of TV channels - I never watch much TV, but with the crazy traffic in the area, I watched the news every morning to make sure I didn't need to leave sooner than I had planned to.

The kitchen is great to have - I made a quick breakfast in my room every morning (Bagels, cream cheese, yogurt, cereal, fruit, juice, etc) which saved me a ton of time and money vs. stopping for breakfast every morning - plus I made dinner a few evenings as well.

The only noise I had during my stay was from carpet installation in the room above me - and that didn't last long, and wasn't during evening or early morning hours.

Plenty of hot water, plenty of water pressure, and the bathrooms are a nice size.

Now for a few negatives -
The lobby is very small. I really like staying at hotels with a much larger lobby, as it always makes me feel batter to come 'home' in the evening and see other people mingling, other guests coming and going, and to have a nice bright welcome upon return. This hotel doesn't offer that - the lobby area is very small, and not really large enough if you were meeting up with folks to head out etc.

The room can be a little dark early in the morning - not much wattage on the bulbs in the lamps.

The cabinets in the kitchenette and bathroom are the white slab laminate with oak trim, very 1990's - so it gives the room a dated look.

The room only had a double bed - pretty small when you're used to hotels with two queen beds, or one king bed. The bedding wasn't exceptional, and the pillows were extremely thin and flat. Not much support there!

Housekeeping only visits every 7 days, so if you have much trash, you have to put it out in the hall - that's a little gross to walk through the hallways and see trash bags.

The TV remote had a serious work ethic issue - it only wanted to work when forced to work. Pushing the power button with all your might got it to step up to action.

Finally - the alarm clock - I have encountered some annoying alarm clocks in my day, but this little sucker takes the cake for the MOST annoying alarm clock. I was there for 5 nights and I never did get the clock figured out completely - two alarms - a weekend cancel button with attitude, the inability to set one alarm, and turn the other off, and a radio tuner than wandered more than the average band of gypsies.

If you can put up with some minor things, as listed above, this hotel isn't bad at all, and available at a pretty fair price.
I wouldn't EXACTLY say that it is VERY GOOD, I would say that it is above average.

If you are used to staying at Homewood Suites (ceiling fan in bedroom, separate sink and bath area with granite vanity top, galley style kitchen, updated or new cabinets, free breakfast and light dinner, you will be a little disappointed with this Candlewood.

Everyone's needs are a little different when it comes to week long stays, or extended stays, so take what I have said into account - and if this property meets your needs, or more importantly your budget - go for it, you won't regret it.

As for the location - it's in a rather odd place - it's tucked away on a side street.
If you are headed downtown, allow for at least a 25-35 minute commute - traffic can get a little snarled, so be careful!

It is close to the Crabtree Mall which is very nice. There are several restaurants around - and the gas station just across from Lead Mine Rd. has just about the lowest gas prices in all of the Raleigh-Durham area, so go to the BP on the south-bound side of the rd!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank admit_it
Philadelphia
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This extended stay was just what the traveler from outside NC needs to feel right at home. From the well stocked kitchenette, once a week maid service (day of cleaning your choice!), free laundry facilities, small workout area, well kept business center, lending library for DVD's, and, most of all, a friendly front desk staff. This really fit the bill for my stay away from my family and friends. Also, it is strategically located off I440 and Rt. 70 which can link you to all parts of Raleigh and beyond. Only fifteen minutes from RDU, which made my commute back to PHL so much easier. This is a gem for any extended stay traveller in the Raleigh area!
P.S. there is a wonderful Greenway at Lake Lynn which provides a wonderful respit from a hectic business day...a must place to visit for a positive exercise hour.

Room Tip: If you need to make a quick dash in the am out the side door, choose the rooms from 335 or beyond...