“Plesant Surprise”

Ranked #34 of 86 Hotels in Raleigh
Montego Bay, Jamaica
“Plesant Surprise”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I spent 2 nights in Raleigh and decided to stay at the Candlewood suites, It is located just a few seconds off the busy Glenwood Avenue. I had a standard studio and I was very pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, had a cute in room efficiency style kitchen and large refrigerator. Simple room but was perfect for 1-2 people. The staff were very friendly and the hotel has a small gym, laundry facilities and a small 'convenience store' in the lobby.

The ONLY reason I didn't give this a 5 star rating is because the room was fully carpeted and the carpet smelled a little musty. Maybe the windows need to be opened when the room is empty so that it can air out a bit. (Was on the first floor so I didn't want to have the windows opened).

Oh and FREE Wifi!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Generation42, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Raleigh - Crabtree, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
We greatly appreciate your nice review of your stay with us. I apologize if you felt the carpet had a slight musty smell. We have our guest room carpets shampooed by an outside professional service regularily so maybe your room carpet had not fully dried before you occupying it. It sounds like you fully enjoyed all other aspects of your visit with us and I greatly appreciate your great review. We look forward to your return!

Best regards,

Darren Sheehan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
nc
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I was moved here through my company; after a bad experience with th Extended Stay franchise (I don't recommend them AT ALL)
I was impressed the moment I walked in! The staff was professional and courteous. I was there 3 weeks; and had a chance to deal with several of them. They were ALWAYS pleasant and helpful.
The rooms are nice; fresh; clean. Housekeeping staff was awesome.
Laundry is free; very nice workout area.
I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. Even with rooms being renovated around me; the lack of excessive noise was impressive. I would gladly recommend this hotel again; and again.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank nursj
Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel and team! We pride ourselves in making every guest contact experience a positive one and it sounds like we "hit the mark" 100% during your stay! I also greatly appreciate you complementing our Housekeeping Team...they work very hard and deserve the recognition.

Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Very friendly staff - we interacted with 3 receptionists and all were happy and helpful. We'd cocked up the booking but they helped us out. Room very clean and spacious. Ideal location as easy to get to from airport and ideal for the mall opposite - which is a good one. Would use again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Generation42, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Raleigh - Crabtree, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
I am glad you enjoyed the team and clean accommodations we strive everyday to provide to our guests. We greatly appreciate your taking time to give us such a nice review and look forward to your return when Raleigh is in your travel plans in the future!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is in a good location adjacent to Crabtree Valley Mall. I guess it is considered an extended stay hotel, but I only stayed for 3 nights. My room was spacious, the woman at check in said I got the good big one, so I assume the other rooms are smaller. The room had everything you need for an extended stay including full size fridge, stove and microwave. They have a great little honor system pantry which came in handy when my girlfriend needed some advil. They've got some of everything in there so if you're craving ice cream at 2am, you're in luck. The toilet was stopped up a little when I checked into the room. I didn't think much of it until it overflowed (my fault because i tried to fix it by flushing it more.) I spoke with the front desk and after about 15 minutes the maintenance man arrived and fixed it. The hotel was quiet and the room was clean. this was my 2nd time staying here. I didn't use the gym or laundry this time around but they are there if you need them. I had a good stay here and would stay again. While my girlfriend was with me this time, I'd say this would be more of a hotel for business trips or a place to crash while your house is being renovated or something like that.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Generation42, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Raleigh - Crabtree, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you very much for taking time to complete such a nice survey on your stay with us! Sorry you had a small issue with your toilet however; I am happy to hear our response time for correcting the situation was a short 15 minutes. We look forward to seeing you return for your 3rd stay with us...and so on...

Virginia
Reviewed 6 July 2014

It's location was convenient to the things we wanted to do visiting Raleigh -- museums, golf, and eating out. It was clean with a small kitchen with everything we needed for making our own breakfast. This hotel doesn't have a free breakfast but an "honor" system of things you can purchase in their Pantry room of refrigerated and freezer cases and dry goods. For the weekend (4 days) we were staying, there isn't any maid service as they are considered an extended stay hotel. We simply brought our towels to the front desk to exchange for new ones. This process was explained at check-in. They also have a "lending locker" of items such as blenders, waffle makers, and DVDs you can check out for free.

Now, we know the fire alarm works as it woke me up my first night and we had to wait outside until the fire department cleared everything. Luckily, it was a nice night and only around 1130 pm. The culprit was someone who burned something cooking in their room on our floor a few doors down. We never smelled anything before or after.

Staff interaction has been minimal but Ken has a great sense of humor.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Generation42, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Raleigh - Crabtree, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
I certainly apologize for the inconvenience of our fire alarm sounding however; as you stated "it works" which is always "safer" than the alternative. :) I received a "personal" phone call at 11:30pm from our Fire Alarm Company too that evening. Thank you very much for your very kind review of our hotel and also recognizing a member of our team for his extremely humorous personality. We appreciate your pointing out our amenities in detail.
We certainly look forward to your return and certainly hope the only alarm that wakes you next time is the one alarm clock you "personally" set.

Thank you again!

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here for just one night, as I had a meeting the next day at North Carolina State University. The room was quite small, but had a full kitchen and small dinning table in it. The facilities were excellent and there is a supermarket very close, where we bought ingredients to cook our evening meal. This was a nice plus after 3 weeks of travelling from Chicago and eating in restaurants. The room itself was clean and very quiet. We also took advantage of the laundry facilities on site, which was yet another plus after a long road trip. Overall this is a nice hotel and I would be very happy to return.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Chris_Cotton
Thank you very much for your nice review! I am certainly glad you were able to utilize our fully equipped kitchens because eating out "can" get both expensive & tiresome. We certainly look forward to your return!

Best Regards,

Pittsburgh
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We picked this place as was close to where we were visiting, the price was right and the reviews were good.

The gentleman that checked us in was very friendly and helpful so that gave us a good first impression. Our room was on the second floor and had a queen size bed, two burner cook top, full size refrigerator, microwave and basic set of dishes. Since we were only there one night we did not use the kitchen. Bathroom was clean and shower worked well. Bed was comfortable. Generally it was quiet other than hearing some folks outside the hotel talking loudly at one point.Not a fancy place by any means but was good for one night.

There is a outside gazebo area where we sat at night and enjoyed some wine. The area also had two grills but we did not use them.

Overall this was a good value and we would return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Generation42, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Raleigh - Crabtree, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our property and it's amenities. We greatly appreciate your choosing our location based on past reviews from other guest experiences.

Best Regards,