“Nice place, but...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 84 Hotels in Raleigh
South Carolina
“Nice place, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I was really torn when writing this review. The things I liked about the Hampton Inn were really great, but the things I didn't like were rather disappointing. As with any review, just take my review under advisement :)

Pros:
1. a. Nice, modern hotel, with attractive décor. Amenities include an indoor pool, a work out room, and one of the best free breakfasts I've had at a hotel. Offerings included omelets, fresh fruit, various breads/rolls, fresh waffles, yogurt, hot oatmeal and more.The whole place was clean, but...
2.a. Parking is free, but...
3.a. Great location in the Glenwood South area. There are 2 stops nearby for the free R bus line that runs a loop continuously around the city. Within walking distance are several great shops, restaurants and bars, but...
4. Really friendly staff! Everyone we encountered from the housekeeping staff to the front desk staff were very nice and always had a genuine "good morning" for us. Southern hospitality at its finest!

Cons:
1.b. Either my expectations are off or their housekeeping schedule is. Our room had not been cleaned by 1:00 pm for 2 days in a row.
2.b. the parking garage was 2 buildings over. Not terrible, but when you are toting luggage or small children, it was inconvenient and there isn't a valet.
3.b. It was loud! On the East side of the building is a railroad track and a dumpster. On the West side of the building is a busy street and a few bars. After a night of the train and garbage truck we requested to be moved, only to find that the bars across the street are active until after 2:00 am. My husband is not a light sleeper and it was all too much for him, even from our 5th floor room.

IMO it is a nice place, but the noise was so disruptive, I would not stay here again until they do some soundproofing.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank wndrwmn
HamptonRaleighDwntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown, responded to this review, 18 November 2014
Dear wndrwmn,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this review. We are always looking to our guest's reviews for any feedback to could help us.
I completely understand your frustration with our parking situation. It is located right across the street in the parking garage. Since your visit, we have added a part time valet to help make our parking more convenient for our guests.
One of the greatest aspects of our hotel is our location. We are located in the hospitality/entertainment district of downtown Raleigh. There are numerous local restaurants and entertainment venues located within walking distance of our property. Being a downtown location near all of these venues, sometimes they can be heard within the guest rooms, as you experienced. We are working with the local merchants and residents in the neighborhood to implement a noise ordinance. Since we have been working with these individuals, we feel it has gotten much better for our guests and will continue to do so.
Thank you again for all of your wonderful feedback!

Maddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Charlotte, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

This Hampton Inn was great. It is centrally located so that you can get anywhere in town in a short amount of time. The hotel staff is super and are there to really help you. Made you feel at home and took care of you. I am now a very satisfied Hampton Inn Fan!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Bertha H
Dear Bertha H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property! I am so happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us!
One great aspect of our property that you mentioned is out location. We are located in the Glenwood South District, AKA Hospitality District, in downtown Raleigh. There are multiple local restaurants and entertainment venues just within walking distance to our hotel. If you wanted to go to any of the other districts of downtown Raleigh, you can always hop in the R-Line, which is a free city shuttle that takes you all through downtown Raleigh.
Thank you again for your wonderful review!

Newport Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Can't beat the Hampton Inns while road tripping with the kids!!! Always been a great experience! I have stayed in many hotels along our family road trip routes and have found that we love the comfort, consistency of service and cleanliness of the Hampton Inns. Very clean and fresh smelling. Comfortable beds & pillows are alway important to me. Nice staff and you can't beat the breakfast. TWO THUMBS UP!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

HamptonRaleighDwntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown, responded to this review, 11 November 2014
Dear Jaime W,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review about our hotel! I am so happy to read that you had an enjoyable experience with us. I do believe that our Hampton Inn is great for kids considering we have our indoor, heated, salt water pool that most kids really enjoy. We are also very close to the Marble Kids Museum in downtown Raleigh and Pullen Park, which are great attractions for families with kids visiting.
Thank you again for the wonderful review! We to that we will see you all on your next road trip!

chapmanville, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We arrived early but the staff was very helpful. They took my luggage and parked my truck, all while I went to have brunch. My room was so clean, you could smell the cleanliness as you walked into the room. It was like being at home, only a lot quieter.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jennifer R,

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience with us and for taking the time to do so. It sounds like you had a wonderful experience and I am delighted to read about it! We are always trying our best to make sure our guests are well accommodated and the story you shared is a great example of that.
I loved your comment about how clean your room was, that you could smell it once you walked into your room. I very much look forward to sharing this with our housekeeping staff. They work very hard to ensure our guest rooms are fresh and clean for every guest.
Thank you again for your review! We always appreciate any feedback our guests can give us.

Tampa, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a little off beat from direct downtown, but there are plenty of bars and restaurants within two blocks of the hotel. Parking is an extra $6.00 per day. The hotel is very clean, the staff are very friendly. They have a 24 hr fitness center if your into that, indoor pool, small but works. The only negative is that if you get a room facing glen wood then the bar across the street has an outdoor patio and from about midnight until two am they have loud music and very loud customers, they woke us up every night between those hours. The hotel did provide earplugs but was just an annoyance we didn't want to have to deal with. If the hotel would have warned us at check in I would have asked for a quiet room. Overall very nice hotel for two star. The price is high but that Is what you pay for a clean place and new.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
HamptonRaleighDwntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear crhallis,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with others! I greatly apologize about the noise disturbances that you experienced during your stay with us. I totally understand your disappointment. We are currently working with the merchants in the area, as well as, our owners to resolve the noise disturbances that occur. Other than the noise, I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. Our team dedicates all of their time to ensuring that our guests have anything they may need.

Thank you again for the lovely review!

Burlington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have come to expect great service from booking reservations, reception at front desk when I check in, clean rooms, comfortable bed, nice rooms, free Wi-Fi, access to a business room if I don't bring my computer with me, great breakfast, and finally easy check out!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Marianne H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with others! I am so excited to read that you experience was so smooth and enjoyable from the time of booking to check out. Our team dedicates all of their time to ensuring our guest have this type of an experience. We hope that we will get to see you again during your next visit to the Raleigh area!

Columbia, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

While the staff is very nice,the street sounds are very noisy as motorcycles raced up ad down this one block long street. The parking is alos not very accommodating for the handicapped. Across the street, the elevator directional signs weren't visible to me. When I asked the next morning, how to find the elevator in the garage,I followed the directions, and had to walk down a very dark construction hallway. (This was 6 am in July). Once again, no elevator to be found, so once again, 3 flights of stairs using my cane. When I went inside to get my luggage by the front desk, I noticed someone sleeping on one of the benches out front. These problems are not typical of other Hampton Inns where I've stayed, but I'll make sure that I won't stay at this one again!

Room Tip: Make sure you're not facing the street. So noisy that the hotel supplies earplugs.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HamptonRaleighDwntwn, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh Downtown, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Imaginen,

I greatly apologize that you did not have a pleasant experience with our parking and can understand your disappointment. We do offer valet service and I will be talking with our staff about why they did not offer to go get your car for you or park it for you. Thank you for informing us of this. There is an elevator in the parking structure that near the stairs. Since we are a downtown location, we offer the parking deck as our parking structure since we are unable to put a lot anywhere near us and we also share it with others in the neighborhood. However, I am happy to read that the staff was nice.

I also apologize that there was someone sleeping outside when you came in. Thank you for letting us know about this, as well. Since we are a downtown location, we do have to keep an eye on situations like that and we always call the authorities if that does occur. Situations like someone sleeping outside is not a common occurrence, especially since downtown Raleigh is actually a very safe area.

Again, I greatly apologize about your experience. Thank you for informing us of this so we can address your it with our team.