“A favorite for a mighty long time!”
Review of Cafe Tiramisu - MOVED

Cafe Tiramisu
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Raleigh, North Carolina
“A favorite for a mighty long time!”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We have been going to Tiramisu for many years. We find the food delicious and reasonable. Great atmosphere, small and cozy not stuffy, friendly, helpful service. Under the original ownership, they remain the most consistent of any restaurant we've ever visited. This is my first choice for celebrations. Half price wine night is Wednesday. Favorites are the chicken or veal saltimbocca, chicken marsala, the lasagna is always fresh and takes a while to get because of that. Pollo au Paulo is another. The wait staff has been there many years. Our server Scott is very knowledgable about the multitude of wine selections. Great adult restaurant.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Bruce G

charlotte
“Average at best”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

First, our "table" wasn't much bigger than the nightstand next to my bed; it bordered on absurd to think you could set it up as a 2-top, much less as a 4-top (which we were). Our entrée plates were half on/half off the "table" and there was virtually no room for the wine bottle (which SHOULD have been tableside in a wine cooler anyway) plus bread, etc. Really ridiculous. Our server was relatively pleasant but certainly not outstanding, perhaps because it was a Saturday night and business was booming and he was clearly swamped--therefore his service to us was "spotty' and not by any means above average. The food---Caesar salads were pitiful for an Italian restaurant of this reputation--looked like something you'd buy prepackaged at the local supermarket (maybe they were); entrees were quite good, but nothing to get excited about---I can get very good Italian food at our neighborhood cucina for much cheaper prices. Oh, and when I reviewed the wine list and made a selection, I was then told the wine list was outdated and they didn't carry my selection any longer. Really?? Similar experience with dessert---my wife ordered an item and was told they were sold out, and the best part----the tiramisu was NOT made on site (at least that day). Overall, I debated whether this really rated 3 stars, but decided not to be TOO hypercritical! I seriously doubt we'll return.

• Visited February 2014
North Carolina
“Good Italian restaurant”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We dine here often and the food and service are always good. My only complaint on this visit was that my pasta was rinsed after cooking (horrors!) so was slippery and could not be twisted on a fork. My triggerfish was perfectly cooked and delicious. My dining companions were all happy with their entrees.

• Visited January 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“My Wife's Favorite Place”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is my wife's favorite place for a perfect dinner. We have been there numerous times and have never been disappointed in any way. The bread with olive oil is superb. Always listen to their daily specials, they often are really interesting. Their lobster bisque is unbelievable, get if they offer it, you won't be disappointed. I have tried many menu items and have liked some more than others, but all were excellent, just personal tastes. Nice wine list as well. Good variety. We go here as often as we can. Also, Ken's meatballs are really as good as they say on the menu, try them.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank David D
Jamestown, NC
“High End (Pricey) For Pasta-Based Italian”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

If you don't mind paying for ambiance at a high-end location then this bistro could work for you. I could have given this restaurant 4 stars if the price had been somewhat more reasonable for what we got. I ordered the house meatballs with Angel Hair pasta and fra diavolo sauce ($15) and had to pay extra for the house salad ($6). Twenty-one dollars for salad, pasta and three meatballs? Either I am just out of touch with the current economy or this is a little too expensive. My friend got the veal saltimbocca ($19) with a small portion of spinach pasta. He said the veal was good but not great. They did bring bread to the table and it seemed fresh but I am not sure if the basil-oil that came with it was supposed to be pesto. If it was supposed to be pesto, it was not very good. We did, however, enjoy the pleasant service we got from Binh so I should give her a half-star for her service and attitude. It is unlikely we will go there again. No offense C.T. but we could have gotten more for less at Olive Garden. When it comes to pasta, I don't consider fancy an excuse to overprice it. I would recommend this place for a nice glass of wine and dessert with your date after dinner or a movie but not for a pasta-based dinner unless you are just trying to impress your date that you are big spender.

• Visited July 2013