“Very nice looking, but the food was very plain.”
Review of Piccola Italia

Piccola Italia
Ranked #230 of 1,520 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Locally family owned and operated since 1982. Serving traditional Italian dishes, along with fresh salads, soups, sandwiches and hand-tossed NY Style pizza. We have an extensive wine list and a selection of beers and hard cider. Offering a cozy, relaxed atmosphere for dinner with the family, date night or a business luncheon.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This place fits right in with the upscale environment of Cameron Village. It's got really nice decor, smells great when you walk in, the staff was relatively friendly, all good signs... Although, we should have taken it as a sign the fact that there were only 4 tables of people here at noon on a Saturday and the other restaurants around were packed inside and out.

I got the chicken Provolone sandwich, which came with homemade chips. The chips were so unevenly cooked, it was amazing. Some were perfectly crunchy, some were so underdone they were still white in the center. I don't believe they had any salt on them, either. The sandwich was equally as dull. It was grilled chicken with some Provolone cheese, lettuce, and tomato on ciabatta. There was seemingly no seasoning on the chicken, either, and no sauce to give it any flavor. When I eat a meal, I usually save the best bite for last. Sadly, I saved the pickle for last, because it was the best part of the meal.

My wife got a slice of cheese pizza and a salad. The crust of the pizza was actually quite good, but the sauce (which I assume is housemade) had really strong tomato flavor, but no other herbs or seasoning.

It was a real disappointment and not somewhere I would go again or recommend. The one GOOD thing about it was for two meals and one soda, it was only $16. Not bad, given the area.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I visited this restaurant for the first time last week and the food was very good. The portions were much larger than I expected and the service was very good. It was reasonable priced. I will be returning soon

2  Thank Tina Z
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

This is my first time to this restaurant. The people here were so warm and friendly and the waitstaff was very attentive. The food is solid Italian-in terms of quality. I would recommend to the chef to go easy on the pesto sauce over the mushroom ravioli-- it was like ravioli soup. And it was pretty dark as well so the management should turn up the lights just a pinch so we can at least see what we were eating.

The food was good and all the ingredients in the salad or fresh. I would return.

1  Thank LightQueen
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We went here for Cameron Villages Open House. It was delicious!!

The portions were very large and I asked for extra marinara sauce and got it!

The salad was wonderful and the meal was piping hot! Service, great!

I had a really good experience here, as did everyone else at our table!

5 stars! Thank you for a memorable meal. Can't wait to go back sometime.

1  Thank Beth W
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I'm fairly new to Raleigh and found Piccola Italia while musing through Cameron Village. Even without the name, you could tell from the exterior of the restaurant and the ambience within that this was an italian kitchen. Decided to sit outside for the meal and was greeted by the waiter in very little time. He was quite friendly and gave some assistance with the wine menu. I got the lasagna, which was a huge portion and tasted great! While waiting for the food to come out, I did witness several people roll up to pick up pizzas, so I'll have to try one from here soon. Throughout the meal the waiter and manager were quite attentive ensure adequate water and bread were available along with making sure the wine glass was not empty. There is a ton of value at this place as I was pretty surprised the final bill was so low.

At the end of the meal when considering dessert, the waiter had suggested a short walk over to a cupcake bakery just around the way (Sugarland of Raleigh). A great suggestion for a little something sweet without over-doing it (although the lasagna was huge...). I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for good italian food and great service. Ciao!