“Great food, good atmosphere”
Review of The Angus Barn

The Angus Barn
Ranked #14 of 1,520 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$41 - US$80
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The only reason I did not give this restaurant 5 stars is because I think it is too pricey for the atmosphere and food. My husband and I can eat for the same amount of money at another local steak house(Sullivans, Reys, Ruth Chris) and get much better food, service and atmosphere. If you choose to go here, good the food is good but just know their is much better in the raleigh area for the price.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,194)

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Angus Barn, close to Raleigh-Durham International Airport, and really between Durham and Raleigh despite the Raleigh address, has a way of repeatedly making lists of best restaurants in the US and the world. It's a larger-than-life place somehow, and customers really have a "dining experience" because of the ambience and the highly-committed staff. I have had many meals here over the years. My favorite place to eat here is in the downstairs wine cellars, as they are away from the throng and have an air of mystery. Regardless of where in the restaurant you eat, however, you will feel like a noble. All the steaks I have had here have been succulent and tender. I tend to prefer fish, however, and AB does an excellent job of that also. I have been in many eateries with amazing wine lists, but none is more thoroughgoing, nuanced and comprehensive than AB's list; if you really are in the mood for a rarefied and profound wine, they probably have it (their selection of abstruse, highbrow French wines is astounding!).
It's ALWAYS busy here, so make a reservation. Don't expect a rustic setting because it's called "Barn." AB is elegant.

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

As a child growing up in the Boston area, I was exposed to some amazing cuisine. One place in particular stands out from the rest, Anthony's Pier 4. They have a prime rib that rivals any on this or any planet. After moving south I thought that I would never again have the luxury of dining like a god again without taking an 800 mile journey. Enter The Angus Barn in Raleigh! A good friend informed me that the staff there really cared about the customers and the food they served. I was hesitant, yet curious as well. From the moment we entered the restaurant until we drove away, I could not have been happier! The prime rib was so amazing that it actually transported me back to my youth for a moment dining with my father at a Bo-Sox luncheon. I am truly thankful of the staff of The Angus Barn. Food has a very powerful memory jogging affect. Some foods come close, some even skirt the edges, but very seldom in ones life does a food absolutely hit a 100% BULLSEYE. The Angus Barn scored a Perfect 100!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing back such amazing memories!!!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I gave this an "Average" rating because it really wasn't "Poor", but it was definitely below average. This is the second time I've been to the Angus Barn in the last four months. I come to Raleigh on business frequently and both times attended with groups of 10-15 people. On the first visit, everyone ordered a steak and all were overcooked, but not badly. I wrote it off to being just one of those nights that any restaurant can have and looked forward to returning because of the restaurant's reputation. Tuesday night, I returned with a group and must say that the experience was worse than the first time. I decided to order the Yellowfin Tuna and asked the waiter his opinion. He said it was excellent and his favorite dish. Long story, short, the tuna was cold and just okay. Also, half of our table had their entrees a good five minutes before the rest of the table. For the prices that The Angus Barn charges, every dining experience should be outstanding. I've given them two strikes, but will not give them the opportunity for strike three. It's very unfortunate. I really wanted this to be a great place, but I can't find any way to excuse it. I'm not a food snob, but it's average at best and overpriced. Since both of my occasions were business expenses, it didn't hurt. If it had come out of my own pocket, I would have been really mad. I'll look to see if there is a Morton's or Ruth Chris the next time I'm in the area.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Haven't been to visit the Angus Barn since 2005, and 8 years later I'm pleased to report that it's still the same great experience.

Besides the great food and service, the atmosphere of the Angus Barn is unique. It is of course, in a barn, so has a very down home, rustic feel. The quality of the food, as good as some of the best steakhouses in New York. The steaks certainly are the star on the menu. Cooked to perfection, however you like your steak. The wine list is also quite extensive and some of the cocktails feature some local North Carolina moonshine!

Bottom line: Special occasion or just want some great food, you can't go wrong with the Angus Barn. It's one of Raleigh's best and we can't wait to visit again.

Been to The Angus Barn? Share your experiences!