“Great Food - Excellent Service”
Review of Winston's Grille

Winston's Grille
Ranked #17 of 1,483 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Spring Forest Rd.
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Winston's is one of our favorite Raleigh places to go for special occasions and Sunday Brunch. Last weekend, we went there to celebrate a milestone birthday for my sister-in-law. The food was terrific and beyond that, our wait-person, Hoyt, was fantastic. Hoyt was warm, friendly and very attentive. It was easy to tell he was passionate about what he was doing. Hoyt brought our dining experience over the top. Your dedication to good food and great service makes Winston's shine, Roger & team.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We had a work cocktail reception and dinner here. This is the second time I have done this. the staff were very attentve and quick with drink refills. Meals were pre-selected. I had the almond crusted salmon, a bit dry but very tasty and generous a number of colleagues had the filet and raved about the tenderness and all were cooed to order. This is a big place with a lot of seating areas and has always appeared busy when I am around. Reminds me of a Clydes type restaurant from DC / VA area.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

One of my favorite area restaurants. Great atmosphere, professional staff, food always delicious. Nice menu selection with dishes to suit everyone.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I made a reservation for four at 6:30 p.m. Saturday July 26 at Winston’s Grille on Falls of Neuse Road in Raleigh. We have two couples that will go to a different restaurant every month and we alternate months that each couple picks a restaurant. This was our turn and we picked Winston's Grille this month.
When we got there we were told by our older southern lady waitress that that rolls were "on the way". We went ahead and ordered and hadn't seen the rolls so we reminded our waitress who said “you want MORE rolls”? Explaining we never got any rolls in the first place she gave us a confused non-believing look and walked away. She then several minutes later brought out the rolls and actually threw the plate with the rolls on the table and stomped off (everyone else in the restaurant seemed to have baskets and received them right away when they got there). We then got our appetizer orders but the appetizer my wife and I ordered was incorrect as we ordered spinach dip and received crab dip. No apology was received from the waitress but I could have sworn the she said she would take this incorrect item off the bill if we kept it, but I guess she forgot this promise since she charged us at the end. Worst thing of the night was that I gave a (I thought it was friendly) reminder to the waitress that my wife was drinking unsweet tea and was told to “worry about your Diet Coke over there and let me do my job”, and she finished by saying “I’m sure you’re good at whatever you do"!!! She then proceeded to march off again. We all just sat there shaking our heads.
The other couple, upon all the bad vibes, started asking me questions about my restaurant choice. I told them I hadn’t been to Winston’s in a good while and they commented by saying "Why would you ever come back?" Also, at the end of the night, the other couple was charged for part of our check and we had go through a long process of correcting that. The waitress again never even acknowledged a mistake was made. This ‘Date Night” was probably the worst waitress performance ever and definitely our worst night out since we started doing this last year! It actually ruined the dinner due to all the negativity overtaking everything (conversation, relaxation etc.) that was going on! I’m really sorry that coming to Winston’s was something we looked so forward to, and ultimately wound up being such a disaster.

3  Thank Dale P
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I suppose I should blame myself for ordering a stir fry (The Triple Crown) at a steak house but I guess I assumed that it being on the menu lent itself to being, at least, a decent dish. The beef was tender so I can't complain about that. However I found the chicken dry and the shrimp small and hard to find. The brocolli was old and chewy and the ginger sauce was a simple sweet brown, runny sauce with little to no character. Supposedly it had ginger but I tasted none. Even though it was one of the more reasonably priced entrees on the menu I would avoid it. The best part of the meal, for me, was the generous house salad and delicious blue cheese dressing. The service was good and the atmosphere typical of a "high end" steak house. I'm not saying I wouldn't go back but I would avoid the Triple Crown.

1  Thank JamestownRGW
Laura O, Manager at Winston's Grille, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback on your dining experience at Winston’s Grille. I am very sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with your meal while dining with us. We take great pride in our outstanding reputation and we do not want anyone to feel they didn’t get the best when dining with us. The chef is reviewing the Triple Crown and will take your feedback into consideration when reviewing the dish. We want every item on our menu to please our guests each and every time when dining with us. We would love the opportunity to discuss your concerns further, please feel free to call Wil O’Neal co-owner at 919-790-0700 if you have the opportunity. We can only get better with feedback from our guests. Thanks for your visit and comments and we hope to see you again.