“Beautiful Sushi”

Chopstix Gormet Asian and Sushi Bar
Ranked #551 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I love sushi so when I saw the word Sushi in this restaurant's name I decided to give it a try. My wife and I went on a Saturday night and ordered the sushi for 2 at $39.99. After our order was placed the wife of the owner asked us if we would like to try the scallop sushi appetizer. I'm glad we did. She promised the scallops were live. Judging by the flavor I'm sure she told the truth. The scallops were served on two shells put on a bed of shaved ice with a blinking multicolored led light under the ice. On one shell the scallops were sliced extremely thin and put on lemon slices. On the other, the scallop was cut into strips and served with some spiced vegetable. A small pitcher of poxu (sp?) sauce came along with the appetizer. The price turned out to be $13.95. I thought the adventure was worth the price.

For the main course a large platter was used. It was covered by some of the most attractive sushi I have seen. There was even a little fake bonsai tree on the platter. Everything was formed perfectly and sliced cleanly. The rolls were particularly impressive. The flavors were fresh and crisp. One roll had been fried in tempura batter with a large shrimp sticking out of each end. The tempura was dusted with sea urchin eggs.

We had hot tea ($2.00 each). Our young waitress who looked like she may well have been the the owner's daughter kept kept our teapot full and changed out the tea bags with each fill. It was a kind of informal but very prompt service.

My wife got full before I did so she left me with several pieces of sushi to finish off. I was very full by the time I finished off her portion. A grapefruit dessert came at the end along with the expected fortune cookies. The grapefruit was sweet - the fortune cookies were nothing special - The harder you work the luckier you get.

I will go to this restaurant again. While there I noted a number of people came in for takeout. I may try takeout next time.

1  Thank Mark B

Been to Chopstix Gormet Asian and Sushi Bar? Share your experiences!