“Family Weekend Visit”

Ranked #5 of 1,444 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$7 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Family Weekend Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Haven't been to Big Ed's in years; forgot how really good it is. Got there around 9:00 on a Saturday morning thinking we would have a wait but surprisingly we were seated right away even though they were busy. We all got something different and all 4 meals were wonderful. My western omelet was full of peppers, sausage and lots of cheese. The potatoes were out of this world. Biscuits were hot out of the oven. Will be going back again very soon.

• Visited August 2013

North Carolina
“Good Food...Good Service...Fun Atmosphere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Though known for its breakfasts, we chose to have lunch at our first visit. It just so happened their blue plate special for the day was one of my favorite meals: chicken & dumplings. It was delicious...and my serving covered the entire plate! The sides were yummy and the iced tea was fresh. Service was prompt and friendly and the décor sort of put the "fun" in country "funk." We felt the prices were reasonable, too. We can't wait to return and try their breakfasts!

• Visited July 2013
Cary, North Carolina, United States
“Best Country Breakfeast You'll find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Big Ed's consistently serves top-tier southern breakfasts. I've been eating there for 15 years and have never been dissapointed (even through their change of ownership). You will not find better red-eye gravy anywhere. The link sausage and country ham are awesome. Eggs done correctly and grits are great. This is the epitome of the Southern Breakfast. Do not pass this up. Can get crowded on Sat/Sun mornings, but the line moves. Don't get discouraged, stay and feast.

• Visited June 2013
Atlanta
“Worth Planning a Trip Just to Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

I lived in Raleigh 20+ years ago and loved this place (and its earlier incarnation). My husband was reading places for breakfast last weekend during a visit and when he mentioned Big Ed's, I jumped on it. The food was as good as I remembered. The biscuits are the only ones I have ever liked and still are. The catfish breakfast was memorable. We took our niece and nephew the following morning and they both ordered the biggest pancakes ever. Often that size precludes flavor, but my husband assured me it was pretty tasty, almost like cake. So now, family visits will always include breakfast.

• Visited June 2013
“2nd best biscuits ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

I'm prejudice. My grandmother's were the best. But in The South, we all compare biscuits. Big Ed's are light. Not the concrete bricks that others call biscuits. Tender and moist, but not dense. Get the gravy on the side (it's has a bit too much sage for me), but you can't go wrong eating these biscuits with butter, jelly, honey, molasses, gravy or just plain. Don't let the line out the door scare you. It moves quickly and the biscuits are worth the short wait.

Did I mention how delightfully scrumptious the biscuits were? Very friendly and attentive service.

Visited June 2013