“Excellent Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Raleigh
Oakwood Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 4 Raleigh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We have stayed at the Oakwood Inn 5-6 times in the past years when we have visited Raleigh, the most recent stay was after Christmas 2012, and have always had a very enjoyable time there. The rooms are always immaculate and each one has it's own particular charm. The breakfasts there are always delicious as well as filling.The owners there are always eager to supply information on the sites to see and where the best places to eat are. If you can catch them when they are not attending to the needs of their guests, they are wonderful people to talk to, and we have, on more than one occasion, enjoyed their company on the front porch watching the beautiful sunset.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Oakwood Inn Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 22 February 2013

This was great. The room was for the most part very period and the whole house was beautiful. The breakfast was simply awesome and much care was taken to avoid allergies and accommodate different palates. There was surprisingly not much noise given its urban location save the birds in the morning that were great to wake up to.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2013

Great place to stay. Our first stay at a B&B. We were very pleased with the accommodations and the excellent breakfast. Very well located. Close to several fine restaurants. Easy parking. We would stay here again when we return to Raleigh.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2012

The rooms are beautiful. The breakfast is good traditional "American" fare. The neighborhood is safe and lovely, and you can easily walk to the downtown area.

The last time I was there (2009) I would have given it 5 stars. However, on my most recent stay, I was disappointed with the service. They didn't replace any of the toiletries or washcloths during the 5 nights I was there. The woman working there acted annoyed when I asked for a fresh towel. The bedspread and rug in the room seemed worn and in need of TLC. It seems like the hotel is in need of some revitalization and attention to detail, which could bring it back to 5-stars.

Another reviewer mentioned it smelling like dogs... I didn't notice that at all. The dogs stayed in a private part of the house, shut off from the public areas and guest rooms. I didn't see any dog hair, nor did I smell the dogs except when the innkeeper invited me into her office for 30 seconds to pay my bill.

Room Tip: The Polk room is the prettiest IMO.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2012 via mobile

We had a good sized and diverse group, and Doris went out of her way toake everyone comfortable. Lovely accmodations, terrific
beds, good breakfasts, and
welcomg atmosphere. Plus walking
distance to
soany downtown
attractions.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank CateNC
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I went by the ratings on one site and missed that one mentioned Doris' lack of hospitality. Also, the main page does not mention the dogs. The dogs are mentioned but only on the Innkeepers tab (which I did not review). I have stayed at more than 20 B&Bs over the years. I understand that they are not always perfect.

Upon arriving, Doris opened the door with a unpleasant look on her face. We overlooked her manner but could not avoid the stench of the dogs. My wife is very sensitive (allergic) to dog smells and, had I known of the dogs, I would not have made a reservation here. We tried to overlook it and the dogs jumping and barking behind the dutch door to the private quarters. Once in our room, we looked in the bathroom and found the shower liner to be torn and stained. We tried to take a look at another room in case we felt better about the situation. Doris pointed out that she had an inoperative smoke detector in the room and that she had not gotten around to replacing it. I am a safety engineer and this did not sit well with me. However, the bottom line was that the pervasive smell and the incessant barking (once Doris put the dogs in the backyard), led us to decide to cancel our stay.

I walked out to Doris and explained the situation. Mind you, we had a reservation in 30 minutes at a restaurant and a show at 8:30. It was not our plan to start our 6th anniversary celebration in this way. She went from simply unpleasant to foul in an instant. She said, "I sent you the cancellation policy. I can't stop you from leaving." I questioned whether this was a wise business decision. She refused to consider refunding our money and accused me of lying. She said she did not smell the dogs and had had no complaints about them. I understand she might not smell them since she lives there. I repeated that I thought it was unwise and that I now had to find a place to stay with no notice. She said "I will refund part of your payment." and stomped out of the room. She went into the backyard and starting screaming at the dogs and slamming doors. When she came back in, I asked what portion she would refund. She said 80% since she was going to have to spend time "making up" the room since we had entered it.

I took my credit card and handed me the receipt. She then stood in the hall while we hastily grabbed our bags and walked out. She said something to the effect that she had had a lousy day. I responded that I hoped it would improve.

In summary, I do not know what was going on with Doris on the day we visited. I have never encountered such behavior in any B&B. The onus is always on the innkeeper to provide well kept accommodations and good service to guests. That Doris refused to refund our payment and then, after a legthy and heated discussion, decided she was going to get what she could ($40) and bear the long-term cost of a poor review, speaks to whether it is prudent to stay at this B&B. Often, what you see is an indicator of what you cannot see. We hope that this review will be helpful to you. Had our experience been pleasant, we would have submitted a positive review. I certainly would have preferred that. By the way, we ended up at the Marriott, were treated to great service (including them setting us up at Second Empire, one of the best restaurants I have dined in) and we salvaged the weekend. We could not let this rough start to our celebration overshadow our time together.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Jim27587
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The location was convenient for walking around in the historic district as well as in and around the downtown area. The room was nice and comfortable. Would probably return.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple