“Good food; bad service”

Ranked #332 of 1,483 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Our food was good, as always. However, the service cast a dark shadow over the food. We could not understand our server (though we both speak some Spanish), and he definitely didn't understand us. Therefore, we repeated our simple orders 3 times to insure accuracy. Though I asked for a kid's drink, he brought my 2 year-year old a full glass. Once a food runner brought our orders, I asked our server for a spoon for my toddler as she didn't have silverware and was trying to eat her coveted rice with her fingers. I envisioned a teaspoon. Yet rather than even a table spoon, the server dropped off a SERVING SPOON and kept walking! As he NEVER RETURNED to refill drinks, check on ,meals, etc., my child struggled with a ginormous spoon to down her meal. We had no drink refills. 4 unhappy customers though the food was still good.

1  Thank MrANDMrs Smith S

Reviewed 12 March 2013

So, why an average rating, you wonder? It's nothing bad at all. The issue is I felt as if I had walked into a Mexican restaurant chain in Dover, Delaware. Even the menu looked almost the same. Unfortunately, I was looking for the "Wow!" Factor.

With that being said, the meal was delicious. The cook fixed me a shrimp fajita enchilada which had a great flavor due to peppers and onions. Chips and salsa were good but better when the cheese dip was added to he mix.

This restaurant was only 3 blocks from the Marriott and Sheraton downtown. Look for El Rodeo and the corner of Davie and Blount streets.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

We are regulars at this restaurant. The other half LOVES mexican and for the price and service as well as the food this place can't be beat. We walk there from downtown and the servers know us and our orders. We almost never have to ask for anything, but when we do it comes quickly and just the way we want.

The Burrito Supreme is the best! I take off the cheese and add guacamole inside of it--delish! We also switch out the re-fried beans (still very yummy) for black beans. Overall the food is great and the service is fantastic.

I prefer non-chain places to eat, but trust me, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 28 December 2011

For what it is - the kind of Gluey Cheese Mexican that's cheap, common, and affordable - this restaurant is consistently very good to excellent. VERY fast and attentive service. The staff are always friendly and efficient but are also conscious of the time pressures of lunch. The food is served promptly and is very good for its genre. I give this restaurant an excellent review without any hesitation.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 August 2008

Good American-Mexican food. Our kids love this place.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook