“Be Ready to Walk”

Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown
Ranked #41 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The Hotel does have a restaurant, but how many times can you eat there? They charge an nominal fee for the breakfast and do cook eggs to order, they did a good job. But you have to walk about a mile to the area where several restaurants are located. Sure you can drive if you have a car, but not really convenient. The bed was comfortable; the room clean. The biggest problem we had was no WiFi working, when it did finally work, the connection was very slow. We gave up on using the laptop and IPad we both brought with us for the trip. I was there in Raleigh for genealogy research at the State Archives.

Room Tip: As high up as you are comfortable with, because we were awaken by sirens 3 times in the night and we...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 November 2012

While the location and parking is excellent - the hotel which was build in 1969 is tired and in need of a refresh. The room while nice on first look - is in need of help. Carpet is coming up, black mold is in the shower and there were holes in the bedding. Not to mention the outdoor pool - is no longer and an eye sore. The Biznet with two computers did not have internet access so it was not much of business center.
The front desk was helpful and we did get a 2pm late check out - so all was not lost. But the hotel needs a refresh to compete in todays market.

Room Tip: Hotel is circular so all rooms have a good view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

PaxtonRd,

Thank you so much for your feedback on the hotel! I am glad you enjoyed the great view, location and late check out. We are a new management company that has recently purchased the hotel. We will be renovating the entire property, to be completed by next summer. This will include a brand new room, with new furniture, bathrooms, carpet, drapes, etc. It will be totally upgraded and up to date. The renovation will also include the lobby, hotel entrance, hallways, and our restaurant and lounge with that great view on the 20th floor. I hope you will return soon so we can show you the great improvements we are making and I would love to get your feedback on our new hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay!

Regards,
Donna

Reviewed 2 November 2012

Stayed for one night with my boyfriend after going to a birthday party. We chose this hotel because it was within walking distance of the venue. All the employees were very nice. We arrived two hours before check-in time and were given a room immediately. We were also given a late check-out (2 pm) at our request. Our room was on the 8th floor which was the perfect height to have an excellent view of the city. The rooms do not appear to have been updated recently, but ours was very clean. The free parking in the parking garage was very nice. The only minor complaints that I had was they only provided three pillows for two people (I brought my own pillows so it didn't matter to us but may to others), and only provided three bath towels (we each took 3 showers so another towel would have been nice).
I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Hotel is very reasonably priced for a downtown hotel and offers FREE inside parking! Also reasonable breakfast buffet. I was told by one of the staff that they were purchased by Holiday Inn, so you know that all of above will probably change. Short walk to Convention Center, Science Museum, Capitol Bldg and cute restaurants on Wilmington.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank donnaverush
Reviewed 11 October 2012

THE GOOD: staff was super friendly and tried to be helpful whenever the help I asked for was within their ability to solve. Room was super clean for this category of hotel. Shower was cleaned every day… that’s rare even at some of the best hotels – I stayed 6 nights. Maids were friendly and paid attention to detail like recognizing that I’m a tea drinker and leaving extra of my flavor. Parking was plentiful and free - sometimes this category in a city doesn't always have enough. Restaurant staff was also super nice and helpful and the breakfast for 8.95 was basic but a great deal.

THE BAD: it was 90 and humid when i checked in. got to the room and turned on the wall/window type unit and then headed out for a bit. Came back and the room was hotter than when I left and SUPER humid - even the carpet felt damp when i took my shoes off. Called down but the phone just rang and rang. Finally just went downstairs but they couldn't change my room because the computer was down and they didn't know what rooms were empty and which ones were full. Went back upstairs and the "high speed" wired internet didn't work. The wireless on the first floor also didn't work. I went to use the wireless in the penthouse restaurant but it barely worked - just enough to retrieve email but nothing else.

Next day tried to switch rooms again by phone. They promised they would get back to me but never did. Ran downstairs and, again, the computers were down and they couldn't switch me. Internet was back up but it only lasted about 20 minutes before going down again. Left to go work for the day and came back late that night. It was now 3 nights in an unbearably hot and humid room but the next day brought relief - not by the hotel but by the weather. The temp dropped to the low 60s so problem solved for the next 3 nights.

The internet was another issue. The wired internet only worked about 10% of the time and event then was so slow that it was pretty much worthless. Had to head to coffee shop down the street to get any work done. Same problem with printing boarding passes – a 2 minute project turned into 20 minutes just to load the pages sicne the connection was so slow.

THE UGLY: Elevators broke down. Stair wells were locked from all of the garage levels so you couldn't walk up to your room either. I was on deadline and had to get to my room! Finally, I learned there was a staff freight elevator at the lobby level in the “staff only” area and used that. NIGHTMARE! This happened twice when I was there but at least I knew what to do the second time around.

Summary - there were so many good things about a 2 star in this category and I'm assuming i just caught a bunch of bad breaks. If internet is not important for you I would still try this hotel as it is a good location about 6 blks from the convention center and the rate is low. The rest of my problems might just be that I caught some bad breaks. However, if internet is very important to you - as it is for me and my business - then don't stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2012

At $71 and $80 this hotel offers reasonable accommodations. The room was nicely appointed with plenty of outlets to handle my electronic needs. The staff is friendly and helpful. My only disappointment was the condition of the bathtub. Though clean, it was covered in paint smears and drippings giving the feeling that it was not clean.
All in all, I'd stay here again, I would just hope that the staff would try a little harder to remove the paint stains.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I had to stay at this hotel while on a business trip in Raleigh as this was the where clients were told make reservations. I complied and wish I had not. The hotel is "very tired looking" and the staff not all at attentive to any inquiries. You can see that my bed was ripped. When I went downstairs to notify them that the box spring mattress was tore up they said someone would be right up to look at it. Well the day passes and then another night and then I go down to the front desk to once again alert of the situation. This time I show them the pictures I have posted below in hopes that this would result in some action. She said she would have her Engineer get right on it. Well, not sure when that might be. I checked in on Wednesday and checked out on Friday and "get right on it" never happended.

I asked about local restaurants and they said the entire downtown shuts down weeknights at 5pm. I ventured out and found this not to be true at all. Just a few blocks away there were many choices.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business