“Enjoy the night life in downtown Raleigh”

Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown
Ranked #38 of 85 Hotels in Raleigh
Chesapeake
“Enjoy the night life in downtown Raleigh”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Decided to take a trip to Raleigh just to check out the night life. I play in a couple of bands so I had been to a couple of clubs but wanted to just check out the sites. I used some points and for a pretty good price they gave me this hotel. When I got there I asked for a room on a higher floor. This was not an issue and the view was spectacular. The staff was excellent but the front desk girl was new and maybe didn't know about a bus service or the bar I wanted to go to. I got on the resturuant.com and found a new resturant called Brewmastersgot a killer deal on food. I got ripped off by the cab driver who took us a round about way and charged me 8 dollars. I could have walked in two minutes but after telling the bar my dislike for getting ripped off I was informed of a free bus service that takes you all around the city (Green line). This is awesome cause you can get to every resturaunt or bar in the area for free. No more cab rides while in Raleigh. The service runs til 2:30 am on the Thurs-Sun. The food Brewmasters was on point with a pint of bacon and fried avacodo. Back to the hotel. i went up to the bar located on the top floor which gave a full view of the city. Very nice hotel and they are currently doing renovations to the hotel. It's smoke free not a big deal for me but over all pretty good place to stay for the price. The next day it's so worth the walk to Big Ed,s in the market for breakfast. OMG the best meat and three around and the hotel has directions to all of the eaterys you can walk too.

Room Tip: Ask fir a room on the higher floors for view purpose.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Al S
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dear AI S,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the nightlife and all that downtown Raleigh has to offer! I appreciate your feedback on the bus service and bar/restaurant, to insure everyone is well informed. There are about 100 bars/restaurants within walking distance and we need to insure we keep up to date on them all. Happy your loved the view on your high floor!

Donna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stay here every december for our company christmas party about a block away. The hotel is clean and nice. The suites are huge! It is also very convenient to walk downtown to local restaurants and bars. Also we love the price!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly M
Dear Kelly M,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us when you visit Raleigh! We are a good value, and fortunate to have one of the best views in the city! We will be even better as we complete our renovation of the entire hotel in the next few months. Thanks again and we will see you again when you return to Raleigh.

Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 April 2013

From the moment I walked in the lobby to check in to the time I checked out, the hotel staff was warm, inviting, and helpful. I stayed here while attending a three day conference at the convention center. The hotel is located on the R-Line which is the free shuttle around downtown, but the walk to the convention center was not bad either (10 minutes if you're a slow walker like me). Originally, I had a room with two double beds, but my husband decided to join me on this trip, so they moved us to a room with a king bed and we were on the 15th floor facing downtown towards the convention center. The view was amazing! The hotel was very clean as was our room. The bed and lounge chair were very comfortable, and the wifi was strong. The bathroom is small, but that will not stop us from staying at this property again. Finally, we were allowed to have a late checkout to allow my husband to stay at the hotel while I completed my last meetings at the conference. If this property is this good now, can't wait to see what they have instore after the remodeling is complete.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Becca4072,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay with us! I am happy you enjoyed the view, cleanliness and staff hospitality. We work hard to insure our guests are comfortable and truly enjoy their stay. We look forward to having you back with us in the near future!

Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I stayed here with my partner we arrived early probably around 1 or 2 to check in and check in time I believe was 3 they didn't even question or say anything and gave us the room early. We asked for a floor up high (hoping we would get a nice view) they gave us a room on the 18th floor with a perfect view of downtown. We don't travel too often but was the best view we have ever experienced. I love the parking garage as well its a very unique building (a circle) the parking garage is on the bottom few levels and because of the shape you are never very far from the elevators or anything and it feels safer than normal parking lots or street parking. They are renovating and from other reviews it seems the bathrooms are being made bigger that's the only recommendation I would give them to increase the ares where the toiler is. I am a choice privileges member so almost always stay at a choice hotel I hear this one will soon be a Holiday Inn I may have to look into that when back in Raleigh. I wish they could renovate and stay with choice but I am sure a lot of regulars of Holiday Inn's will soon have a nice hotel to enjoy. Thanks for the enjoyable experience great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor the views are great I am sure when they are super busy they may not be able to...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear mideesshs,

I am so happy you enjoyed the spectacular view of Raleigh from your room! It sure is amazing and I appreciate you choosing to stay with us. I hope you will consider staying through the renovation and after its completion. We will make sure to get you more incredible views!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 March 2013

They gave us a dirty room. Bed wasn't made, lights and television on. The staff was especially rude and unaccomodating after giving a dirty room. Thanks to this location, this hotel will NEVER get OUR business.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Colleyville, Texas
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This hotel is in a great location if you need to access the museums, capital or archives; all are within walking distance. There are also a lot of places to eat within walking distance. The room was a good size and seemed clean. Then there is the bathroom, and I am in a recently renovated room. The door clears the toilet by a half inch. There is a 2x2 space available to stand in front of the toilet, once the door is shut, but that takes some shuffling. I didn't bother closing the door, but that only works if you are alone. Then there is the sink space, with the open, clothes hanging area occupying the same zone. I was hitting my coat behind me as I was fixing my hair. All this is manageable unless you are with another person or you are of larger dimensions. It is a shame. There was plenty of room to have structured things differently.
The staff were nice and helpful and apologetic. I have no issue with them.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same except a handicapped accessible will have a different shower.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Dear Dee5555565,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Clarion this week! I am so sorry about your experience in finding our bathrooms small. You were in a room in which the renovation of the bathroom had just started. The first phase of the renovation only included new tubs, toilets and tile. Our next phase will include moving the closets out of that area, and having a separate armoir for the closet. That will increase the size of the bathroom substantially. We are only beginning our renovation of the entire building, to be complete this summer. I am sorry you were not here to see all the great changes, but I hope you will return and let us know what you think of our new hotel! I appreciate you feedback.

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 11 March 2013

The experience at the Clarion was deplorable. The workers at the front desk appeared nonchalant and uncaring. The rooms were dirty. The bed had super-thin sheets and a small, small mattress protector. I slept fully-clothed in my running outfit. The rooms have no closet and when I asked the front desk person about that, his reply was, "There are no closets?" He had not seen any of the rooms. The rooms smelled like smoke. One room that had been given to one in my group of ten, had the deadbolt ripped out of the wall. I left a message for the manager, Andrea, to call me. The manager never called. We checked out the next morning and cancelled our remaining two nights stay - one night was too long. I explained to the manager about our dislike of the hotel and the poor service; her only response was, "I'm sorry." I even explained that we were going to a better hotel because of the terrible conditions. All ten of us checked out and went to Hyatt Place and had the complete opposite experience. Everyone at Hyatt Place, even the manager, treated us like we were royalty.

Room Tip: Go to Hyatt Place.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Debra G
Dear Debra G.,

Please accept my sincere apology for your experience during your stay with us! I am so sorry we dropped the ball, and your experience is not one that is the norm at the hotel. Your room did have a closet in the bathroom area, and that is what confused the Front Desk Clerk. We are a new company that has purchased the hotel, and we are in process of renovating it in its entirety. The rooms are starting to be completely redone, which includes all new furniture. The closets will be moved to a separate armoir and not part of the bathroom, which is confusing at present. I know you checked out early in the morning, and Andrea was the one who checked you out and apologized. I am sorry she was not there the night before when you were expecting to speak with her. I can assure you we have all reviewed your feedback and the staff is extremely sorry they did not make your stay comfortable. We all hope you will give us another try to show we do really care. Thank you for your feedback!