“During Marathon 2014”

Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown
Ranked #41 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Rock n Roll Raleigh was on my to do list for April 13, 2014.
Had booked room months before marathon and asked about late checkout since the check out time is 11am! They said no problem just tell the front desk when you sign in.
Two weeks before marathon again placed call to confirm registration and late check out. Told no problem. 2 days before marathon again called to confirm and once again told no problem. Arrive day before marathon got to check in and was told that Manager said no late checkouts!!!! Marathon starts at 7am and I'm a pretty fast marathoner but to do 26.2 and get back to hotel in time for checkout to shower etc is impossible. I asked if many times if there was something they could do and she says you can leave your car in parking lot. Really!!! I won't even go I to the no refrigerator in rooms or hair dryer etc etc. I will never stay in another Holiday Inn due to this experience. Can't tell you how mad I was that I had to tell people who came from other states and countries to meet up that I couldn't make it since I had no where to shower and my hotel would let me check out late when everyone else that was with our group that stayed somewhere else the hotel extended their checkout time to 1-2pm.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Hppd432
Orlando F, Hotel Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Congratulations on completing the full marathon at Rock N Roll 2014! I apologize for the confusion regarding extended checkout. Due to the substantial number of guests requesting late-checkouts, it made it extremely difficult to accommodate everyone. I would like for you to contact me so we can further discuss and give me the opportunity to make this right.

Orlando Faison
Ofaison@soundhospitality.com

Reviewed 14 April 2014

This was not the hotel I booked. We ended up here because the one we booked was experiencing maintenance problems. The front desk was friendly. The hotel is old, I thought it was going to be dirty, however I was pleasantly surprised, the floor we stayed on had recently been remodeled. It was clean, with brand new carpeting, fresh bedding. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The parking is free, which is a plus. We didn't eat at the restaurant so I can't comment on that. The bathroom was great and had also been remodeled. The room has a little coffee maker which was nice in the morning. It also has a desk area and comfortable chair, another chair and little table. This hotel is located in a nice part of the city and easy to walk and get around.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LorrifromWelcome

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your recent stay. The foundation of our hotel is old but we recently completed a multi million dollar renovation. On your next visit, please check out our Skye Tower Restaurant and Bar located on our top floor, best view in Downtown Raleigh!

Regards,

Orlando Faison

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed at the hotel during a technology conference because it was within walking distance to the convention center. While I was there the water lines messed up & caused all of the showers and sinks to have cold water with virtually no water pressure. Being that this was a business trip this was a HUGE inconvenience and the saddest part was that they didn't even have the courtesy to let anyone know! I had to call the front desk and then they told me about it with no apologies. During check out the next morning, no one on staff could figure out how to split a bill and they only had 2 people to help check out. There were a lot of people that were attending the same conference as I was and were checking out that morning and they were completely unprepared. I had to wait in line 45 minutes and ended up missing sessions at my conference trying to split my bill and sort out the bill that was wrong in the first place.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Chelsea D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Chelsea D,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are glad you liked the convenient location of our hotel from the convention center. Please accept our sincerest apology for the experience you had with your room accommodations and the service you received did not live up to your expectations. We have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M

Reviewed 13 March 2014

very nice redone hotel these round holiday inns are ancient great parking
not bad location with a few local restaurants nearby
$90 on priceline
But the breakfast restaurant is a disaster!! ARE they on strike???
there was only 1/3 full but the wait staff didnt seem to be bothered to clear any dirty tables. we got the buffet which was fair but HAD TO GET MY OWN SILVERWARE!!!!!!

We had to ask someone to clear the table Meanwhile one guy was too worried about putting in the bills from a group function

Extremely bad experience in the restaurant

otherwise not a bad choice, large clean room

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank drillerkc74
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Highlights of this stay:
While we were there on two separate occasions the hotel lost water pressure and the ability to heat the water to many rooms including ours. In addition, during a rain storm one of the windows in our leaked water into our room. We were with a group traveling on business from a public school. We missed meetings both days because of the issues that prevented us from exiting the hotel at our desired time.

I understand that these things will happen, what I am very disappointed in was the reaction by the management to the situation.

We asked to speak with a manager while checking out. After much delay we found one on our own. Told him of our experience and told him that others from our group had received a refund earlier that morning. His comment, stated in a very disrespectful tone, “No one should have received a refund, they had a bed.” So, just to clarify for future visitors to this hotel. A room here does not have to include water, electricity, or even keep out water from a rain storm out of your room. If you have a bed, that is all you will receive when you paid $200 dollars a night.

While waiting to speak to the manager on our check out morning we also were privileged to hear these wonderful things in the lobby from people checking out.
- Question from hotel guest checking out – if you have no water how is the hotel restaurant staying open? Answer from staff person at front desk, “We have lots of cutlery.”
- Comment from another person standing in line checking out – “My friend was sick all last night vomiting. Since there was no water in the room, we called down and asked for water, Gatorade, or something to give her to drink. We were told it would be $3 dollars a bottle for water? That was wrong.

I have read other reviews here. I realize a manager will reply to this apologizing profusely and proclaiming these things are fixed. But, I assure you that person was not on duty when we checked out.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank PublicT444
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear PublicT444,

Connie D

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This hotel has recently gone through a make over, but it was done cheep (like putting lipstick on a pig). Having said that, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and the staff is accommodating. The location is convenient walking distance to downtown restaurants and bars.

A couple of issues though: The hotel room keys just kept failing....which is a big pain in the you know what....Also, the hotel just transitioned from a Clarion and Holiday Inn couldn't' t figure out how to give me Priority Club points for my week long stay. Just annoying!

Overall, the hotel is just OK.

Room Tip: I would probably look for another hotel at a comparable price in the area next time.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ed M

Dear Ed M,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so glad you liked the convenient location of our hotel in the area and found our staff to be friendly. We would like to apologize for the experience you had with your room keys and any shortfalls you have experienced that did not live up to your expectations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have stayed several times before in this hotel when it was still the Clarion and enjoyed my stay very much, so I expected great things in the newly renovated Holiday Inn. I was VERY disappointed. Problems in order of level of inconvenience:

1) No hot water: The first morning of my stay, I arose at 6am and could only get a trickle of hot water in the sink, and the same was true in the shower. I showered with intermittent hot water - quickly jumping under the trickle when it warmed and out again when it turned cold. As I left the hotel that morning, I mentioned the lack of hot water to the desk clerk who then yelled to a maintenance staff person standing nearby that the hot water problem was everywhere, not just on the top floors (I was on the 15th floor). She said she had been sending people to 7th floor. The second morning, I was relieved to have good water pressure, but there was no hot water, and once again, I took a quick less than lukewarm shower. As I was leaving that morning, other guests were reporting to the desk (saying second morning in a row), and the clerk was giving them key cards to what I assume were vacant rooms on the 7th floor where presumably there was hot water.
2) Problems with wi-fi: When I checked in, I asked about wi-fi and whether I needed an access code and was told I did not. When I got to the room and tried to connect, it said I needed a password, so I called the front desk and was given a code with an emphasis from the clerk that the first letter was uppercase. It did not work, so I called back and she apologized and told me to try again with a lowercase first letter - that worked, and wi-fi worked well all evening. The next evening, I needed to do several hours of work online and was unable to get connected. I called the front desk, and a clerk confirmed she could not connect with her phone and said she would have someone reset the router and to try again in 10 minutes. I tried several more times later, but it never worked for more than a minute or so before disconnecting again. I spoke with other guests the next morning who had been frustrated by the same situation. I could have just set up a hotspot with my phone, but the Verizon signal in the hotel was very weak as well. I had to stand by the window with my phone to get a decent signal.
3) Nonworking safe: I wanted to use the safe in my room to stash things during the day. The safe was located just a few inches off the floor with instructions printed on it. I actually had to lie down on my belly to read them, and nothing I tried worked. It was a nice safe - allowing me to either enter a PIN or swipe a credit card, but it did not function. I called the front desk and they sent up a maintenance person who discovered batteries had not been installed. He left and returned with batteries, and it worked fine after that. He was polite and efficient - just seems like batteries should have already been checked.
4) Noise: I have stayed in this hotel's rooms near the elevator before and have never been bothered by noise, but during this stay, I could hear the roar of the elevator going up and down all the time. I don't know how the walls could have gotten thinner during the renovation, but it is a good thing I am not a light sleeper.
5) Questionable cleanliness: There were soap/water spots on the bathroom counter, and sticky spots on the desk.
6) Uninformed staff: When I checked in, I asked the desk clerk about the free downtown bus loop - the R-line and whether it only ran in one direction; she said she thought so and tried to confirm it with the other clerk who also said she thought so, but neither of them could say so with certainty. One would think that hotel employees would be better informed about public transportation guests will use. Another example is the situation mentioned above with wi-fi passwords - first told there was not one, then given wrong one, and after third inquiry, getting the correct one.

All that said, there were positives - the renovated decor is nicer (but I care less about that than hot water and working wi-fi). The bed was comfortable, and the TV and heating system worked well. I did not try the restaurant, but I can say I was disappointed that the breakfast buffet the Clarion was famous for is no longer. During past stays I had enjoyed a made-to-order omelet and wonderful buffet of hot foods and fresh fruits every morning of my stay. I looked at the menu in my room and decided not to bother based on descriptions. All in all, I have to say that the Clarion was a well kept secret, and the Holiday Inn is in need of serious improvement. My rating of good value is based solely on the fact that I received a discount rate through a conference I was attending. The regular rates are not warranted for the poor service and accommodations.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BarbaraZT
Tom D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Raleigh Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear BZTaylor,
Thank you so very much for taking your time to reflect on your recent stay at our newly refreshed property. We certainly appreciate the kind words in reference to your feelings regarding the new rooms and promise we will have the restaurant breakfast in order as you knew it!
We cannot apologize enough for the items in which you had issues, a perfect storm in our eyes. I can tell you our water and high speed internet items has been solved, a day late unfortunately.
We will continue to work with our staff to be the best guest service agents in the market. Knowledgeable about all items within the hotel as well the local area. We will be far more prepared in the future and hope you will provide us the opportunity to change your mind.
Please feel free to contact me if I can assist you or answer any additional questions.
Regards,