“Stay someplace else” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 84 Hotels in Raleigh
Shelby, North Carolina
“Stay someplace else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is absolutely the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in.
We were late arriving to the hotel but I was able to check in at 11:30 p.m. The first thing I noticed upon checking in was that the side entrances did not work with my key as they were supposed to. One of the doors had giant cracked windows where it appeared someone had tried to break in. A piece of paper was taped on the door which said it was out of order and an apology from management. I was staying on the second floor. The first floor seemed ok, but the second floor smelled horrendously of cigarette smoke. I was not asked if I wanted a non-smoking room and was not aware smoking was allowed. Carpet all through the hotel was outdated and did not look clean, paint on walls was chipped everywhere. Although the hotel had changed ownership in the last month, there was no sign of any renovation.
Air conditioning in my room seemed to be set on 76 degrees and even though I turned the thermostat down below 70 it never dropped. I did not complain to the manager because I just wanted out of there. I did not feel safe here because of some of the clientele. My bed sheets had a cigarette burn hole, pillow cases did not look clean, but I found one pillow that I was able to use. I didn’t see any bed bugs or other insects. The shower and sink were acceptably clean. The room just smelled of cigarettes and was uncomfortable. I was not told there was a free breakfast so I didn’t explore the option upon checkout, plus I didn't have much of an appetite after my stay there. I was able to get a refund for my second night and so I went to a much better hotel across town! I am writing this letter to STRONGLY suggest that the hotel be gutted and updated, and to let other people know NOT to stay there unless you smoke, or ask for a room on the first floor, but be aware that this hotel is not as it appears on the website. There are 114 rooms in the hotel and 114 non-smoking rooms, but that is not true! Also, pets are allowed so if you don’t want to hear dogs barking, stay someplace else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
parekhp, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Raleigh North, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
To whom it may concern:
Let me first apologize for your experience at our hotel. Every guest stay is supposed to be a pleasant one. I read your review thoroughly to make sure I checked every issues you've mentioned. First I checked all the side entrances and they all worked but one that needed batteries. The entrance with the cracked window and apology note was out of order because a guest walked into it not because someone tried to break in. We are a non-smoking hotel and when it is reported the someone has smoked in the suites we charge a fee. Because we know some people do not like to follow rules. Yes, we are under new management and doing renovations. Everything else you mentioned we are working on. We are working on the carpet & painting the walls. We also have new A/C units to replace the bad ones. I really wish you had brought your concerns to the front desk. We could have moved you & gave you a BETTER experience.

Shawn-MauriceParker
Raleigh,NC 27604

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Clayton, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at this property for a 3 day business trip and I was very satisfied with the room and rate. It's also very convenient to highways and shopping/dining. My only complaint would be that the housekeeping staff is not very friendly. Also, my children stayed with me the 1st night and each person that I asked for an extra blanket for the sleeper sofa offered the excuse that housekeeping didn't was any extra. Since the hotel wasn't sold out I figured they would have at least gave me one from an empty room. I would like to add that Noel and Patrick have always been polite and helpful. Robert is also very personable on the phone.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
parekhp, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Raleigh North, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
To whom it may concern:
Thank you so much for your feedback. I utilizes this info to make our property a better place to stay. I do apologize if my housekeeping staff did not give you & your kids good customer services. That has been addressed & should not happen to any other guest. If you are back in the area please contact me so i can give you our "TRY ME" Discount.

Shawn-Maurice Parker
Director of Sales
919-872-2211 ext 423
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel itself was in a very good location. There were various restaurants,grocery stores,etc around. It had easy access to the interstate. However, everything else was subpar to mediocre. The room was small for a suite. The carpet was old and begged for it to be changed. The bathroom was tight as well. However, the service was excellent and the people did accomodate our group of 50 in the hotel in a very efficient and professional way.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mapology97
parekhp, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Raleigh North, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
I want to thank you for your feedback. The renovation you spoke of is in progress. The carpets are being worked on as we speak. But i'm very glad the customer service was excellent. So please come back in the near future to come see the upgrades we are working on.

Shawn-Maurice Parker
Director of Sales
919-876-2211 ext 423
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The rooms were very nice, spacious rooms. Fantastic pool in fact all amenities was more then I expected. Staff pleasant and helpful. Great location, nearby everything. I would definitely stay again if I travel back to raleigh nc

Room Tip: Room with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
parekhp, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Raleigh North, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
To whom it may concern:
My name is Shawn-Maurice Parker. I am the new Director of Sales. I'm so glad you found your stay with us to be a pleasant one. A lot of our guest love the balcony room because they have a great view of the pool. I hope you do come back to stay with us again & when you do please contact me personally.
Raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

The room was clean. I love the balcony and the fact the bedroom is separate from living room. Great service. Front desk clerk was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the pool and breakfast. great customer service

• Stayed July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
parekhp, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Raleigh North, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
To whom it may concern:
I want to thank you for your kind words. We are still a " work in progress" but it is nice to know the work so far has been noticed. We strived to give each guest GREAT customer service and relaxing comfortable stay. Again thank you & I hope you have a blessed day.
Swansboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel was truly horrible. I don't know where the person stayed who said it was nice and recently renovated, but it's not. Holes in ceiling in downstairs corridor, nasty carpet, sanitation rating of 83, and that's just the main area. Supposed to be smoke free, first room smelled so bad, a/c didn't work, and door wouldn't lock. Second room horrible. No place left to stay. Went to store got Lysol and Lysol wipes and cleaned thouroughly before we stayed. Black hair everywhere. Pull out mattress horrible, lumpy. Curtains so full of nicotine smoke it was unreal. Had to take Benedryl to survive night due to horrible mold/smoke of a/c when came on. And, no towels. Seriously, they said there were no clean towels left in the hotel. The Food Lion behind it had armed guards inside and people sleeping on the street outside. If you have to stay here, be prepared!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank J G
parekhp, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Raleigh North, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
To whom it may concern:
My name is Shawn-Maurice. I'm the new Director of Sales for Regency Suites North. I am sorry to hear your stay wasn't a pleasant one. It is my job to make every stay an enjoyable one. I read over your review thoroughly so I could address every issue you mentioned. I couldn't find the holes that you mentioned but I did find one that maintenance has already repaired. Yes we are a smoke free property unfortunately everyone does not follow those rules & they are fined for that. And if Mold/ Smoke was coming from your A/C I hope you contacted the front desk & was moved. Because molded smoke is not natural & may have been a bigger issue. We are under renovations & have not completed everything as of yet. I hope you will come back and allow me to make right all of the wrong at a discounted rate.
Barre, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I actually was quite surprised with our room for the price we paid. We had a king size suite with a separate living room and bedroom, 2 TV's, and overall, very clean and accommodating. I would definitely recommend. I read the other bad reviews and I have to say that we did not encounter any problems.

Room Tip: Ask for a king size bed and you might get a suite
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Andrea M
parekhp, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Raleigh North, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Hi Andrea,
Thank you so much for your kind words. I would like to invite you back to see more changes we've made since your last stay. Whenever you are coming back to the area contact my director of sales Shawn-Maurice or my front desk manager Noel. they will offer you a discounted rate of $59. Hope to see you soon