“Good Stay”

Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown
Ranked #51 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was my second visit to this RI, it is an older establishment. Was there for the week and has one issue and was resolved by the GM. The maintenance guy sent to room to fix TV did not have a clue, but talked to GM and he sent Chief Engineer as they call him and he fixed the issue. Food at Buffet is average but the service is very good. They try hard to please from Front Desk to Buffet servers.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Let me first state that I am a Marriott Platinum Member and I would never stay at this hotel after checking in on November 19, 2013. I took a shower only to be greeted by the biggest Cockroach I had ever seen in my life on my bed. I grabbed a glass and plate to capture it to show proof of the bug infestation; thereafter, I took a picture to show proof. When I confronted the front desk staff, they tried telling me it was a water bug; but, it was a Florida cockroach. I immediately checked out after arguing with the front desk staff members who explained that they were going to charge my card. I told them that I was going to check into the Marriot downtown (500 Fayetteville St) and to have the manager call me. Two weeks later no call; so, I wrote a letter to Marriott Customer service where they offered 5,000 points to resolve the situation; but, I paid 25,000 points to stay at the Marriott downtown after having to leave from the cockroach infestation from a morning which started 18 hours prior to my arrival (at 3:00AM). 5,000 points is an insult and I did not ever respond to their email. So, I am writing this review to let everyone know to never stay at this hotel. It was the worst experience, as a business traveler, I have ever had. This is coming from someone who stays at least 100 nights per year in hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Dj4OSU
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is the older style RI and has the outside stairs. Ugh! Further there was a set of stone stairs and one of them not only is loose but even rocks if you step on it the wrong way. Rooms are clean and staff are friendly. Breakfast is just so-so. Neighborhood doesn't seem safe to me at all.

Room Tip: If climbing stairs is difficult, ask to be put on a ground floor. Still lots of small staircases to...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 414Bookworm
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The Hotel was quite busy, but they had plenty of tables available for the excellent breakfast.
The staff was helpful -- We did not have any ice in the refrigerator, so I went to the front desk. The lady got a large bag and filled it with Ice from the Breakfast Area and said if I needed more, Just come back

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Hotel was centrally and convieniently located near major highway making it accessible to get back and forth throughout the Raleigh area. The rooms were spacious and clean upon arrival. Management was quite professional and helpful during my stay. We utilized the kitchen facility which provided everything except the food to cook. I would definitely stay here again whether business or pleasure while visiting the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is an older property that has been maintained well. The room was spotless, and the service was great. The staff is very customer focused.

The manager has a snack for guests at 5:30 PM Monday thru Friday, and it is enough that you may just skip dinner. Tuesdays they serve tacos, and Wednesday is grill night with grilled chicken, hot dogs, and burgers. You can purchase beer and wine.

They also serve a full breakfast buffet - not the usual continental breakfast. It is no wonder that they are 100% occupied every night this week.

Room Tip: They do not have elevators so if you are on the second floor, you will have to use the stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ray Z
Reviewed 15 September 2013

There were so many advantages to staying here. First and foremost, as past reviewers have said, it was convenient to downtown Raleigh, local shopping, as well as Trader Joes :) Also, one of the biggest perks is how clean and spacious the room is, with all the amenities. It is nice to buy groceries and bring them back to the hotel, rather than spending a lot of money on outside dining. The pool, gazebo and complimentary breakfast were fabulous. The staff were friendly and accommodating when I had to change rooms because of louder group one floor up from me. Also, the staff went above and beyond to bring and install the pack-and-play for my daughter to stay on, and she was even given a special welcome gift with little toys. I truly didn't expect that, but it was a special touch that made my stay even more delightful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family