“Residence Inn Midtown, Raleigh, NC works well for large groups.”

Residence Inn Raleigh Midtown
Ranked #51 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed 17 August 2010

My group (from Englewood, New Jersey) had 17 rooms at the Residence Inn Midtown, Raleigh, NC. Heather Hayes managed our group with care and consideration for special needs. She saw that all my seniors were in first floor rooms and made changes ahead of our arrival to help my large group. Our coach broke, leaving us without our planned transportation for touring local sites. Heather allowed Wayne the shuttle driver to be our temporary transportation to the Capital complex. The Hotel manager found afternoon transportation with a local shuttle company that treated my group as though we had been expected. Because of the calm resourcefulnes of the staff at this hotel, my group did not miss a beat on our planned tour. Everyone enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel and the variety of offerings for breakfast and the dinner snack.

• Stayed: August 2010

Reviewed 11 August 2010

Stayed at the Residence Inn for a family wedding. Being from New York, we were so surprised at the quality of the room for the price that we paid! The kitchen, fireplace, sink space... everything was modern and impressive.

Also, the townhouse style of the complex, pool, etc. made the stay enjoyable. For the wedding, our family stayed at other hotels in the area and when they saw ours, they wished they had stayed there.

Make sure you stock up your fridge/kitchen with food from the local Trader Joes (how convenient!).

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Uh ok - so there is a neighborhood just past the hotel that is mostly latino. So?? Unlike typical suburban vanilla culture - they actually come outside and talk to each other. However, they were not dangerous looking or gun toting. People have too much fear of anything not just like themselves. They are actually missing out on life. I live in the Raleigh area and frequently use this hotel as a getaway for writing. I know it is not a "high crime area". It is disappointing and sad that "visitors" see some young people of color in their own neighborhood - daring to actually be outside - and equate that to fear and danger. The apartment complex is NOT a public housing complex. For the reviewer that shaid they were concerned about a sign that said keep doors locked - well, I have never been to a hotel that did not say this - thus that is why they have safes in the room. Locking doors is just common sense and has nothing to do with being near a majority latino community. Shame on you. Again - trust me - I live here. Anyway - I love this hotel and would not choose any other place for my in town writing getaway. The front desk staff is wonderfil and accommodating. The rooms are perfect with great fully equiped kitchen. They even remembered to include cork screw - unlike hotels that keep them at front desk so that you can tip someone to bring it to you. The room is very comfortable and they have nice theme dinners during the week. Perfect get away for professors and others that need nice quiet writing space. I highly recommend this hotel. Very nice rooms and close to good restaurants, mall and other stuff. Close to downtown and very cool nightlife. Ignore the whole scary neighborhood stuff. People that do not look like you are not out to get you. Aint that America! - a cool wonderful colorful place. Love it.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2010

We had an extended stay in Raleigh due to an adoption that took longer than expected. The price was right, room was wonderful, Inn was clean, food was great, and the staff was fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I selected his hotel based on other Trip Advisor comments and I feel I was led astray. From the outside it looks like a nice hotel and I am sure the rooms are of the same quality as other Residence Inns. However, when we arrived at 5pm on a Sunday to check in, we saw about 40 "youts" (youths) hanging out at the housing project across the street. About 6 were in the street leaning into cars as they stopped in the street near the hotel (looked like selling drugs). Coming from Chicago, I am well acquainted with drug deals and housing projects and this area feels like a mini-version of Cabrini Green in it's hayday. When we walked up to the office door we saw a sign that said "Keep this door locked at all times for security reasons." A small fence about waist high surrounds this hotel but the combination of urban poor milling nearby selling drugs and low security first floor residence hotels made us cancel our reservations. I've lived near high crimes areas many times in my life and I have no desire to spend any of my vacation time near such an area. We are not paranoid suburbanites–we live in the city and share our street with a diverse group of people. But this area, no matter how nice the hotel is, is not a safe looking area! Luckily the hotel staff let us cancel our reservation with no penalty. Two stars for that service. They didn't ask why or question us in any way so it appears we are not the only guests to take one look around and cancel our stay!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WellnessWoman
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I stayed at the Residence Inn based on my familiarity and enjoyment at Residence Inn's elsewhere, and this stay was not a disappointment. We arrived early and were able to check-in right away. My kids all went swimming in the pool in the afternoon and then went over to eat burgers and hotdogs as they came right off the grill for dinner which was provided by the hotel. The rooms were comfortable, but were a little smaller than other Residence Inn's I've stayed in before. Tthe rooms were still large enough for myself and my kids. As always the breakfast was good and the service was great. If ever in Raleigh again I will stay at this Residence Inn.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Residence Inn overlooked a few things during their renovation about 2 years ago. Nice studio apartment style room. Perfect for small family or couple. Would not recommend for others traveling together. The property has a gate (unsecured) and a partial brick wall to restrict view of I-440 hwy. If you pass the very small hotel entrance sign you'll have to turn around in a housing complex like I did and I noticed a few residence gathered outside with music playing and beer drinking...I turned around with a quickness. I did question Erin at the front desk about the neighborhood and she said it was safe and that the property had a police officier (off duty) as security guard...(say WHAT??)
2 ok beds and sleeper sofa. Small bathroom with towels leftover from renovation. 3 star property with Dollar store quality towels and 2 tv's back to back. Sunday breakfast was packed but good. (60+ people)

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business