On a recent trip to the UK , we had to be in Reading for a couple of nights. We hate hotels in big cities if we can avoid them and my husband found this wonderful, highly original hotel in the small nearby town of Pangbourne on the river Thames. Apparently it had only just been completely refurbished.
Our room, the "Maharajah", was spectacularly eccentric, decked out in sumptuous colours and Indian furniture. Apparently all the rooms have individual themes to them.
The bar (called "Barbar" - so someone's got a good sense of humour!) was comfortable, light and cheerful and obviously very popular. The bar menu was fun and we ate well there our first night, but we went for a bit of indulgence the next night, eating in the main dining room - superb unfussy "modern british" food at its best.
Above all, the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly and the overall atmosphere more relaxed and welcoming. We would certainly recommend a visit!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Elephant offers its guests an experience of quirky luxury and a warm welcome, whether staying overnight, dining in the restaurant, or having a relaxed drink in the bar. All 22 bedrooms are individual and furnished with handcrafted furniture, rich ornamental rugs and opulent fabrics. The bar, known as Babar, has a bistro feel, serving simple but excellent British produce, while the restaurant offers beautifully cooked unpretentious food in elegant surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Elephant at Pangbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Elephant At Pangbourne Hotel Pangbourne
- The Elephant Hotel Pangbourne
- The Elephant Pangbourne
- The Elephant At Pangbourne Berkshire