“my new favourite hotel”

The Elephant at Pangbourne
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pangbourne
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I was recommended to the Elephant by a local publican (the Greyhound in Whitchurch on Thames - fantastic pub by the way) as I was looking for a base for over three weeks.

What a great find, the rooms are individually decorated, spacious and very quiet, the gardens are peaceful and lovely, food and drink is good and the staff are incredibly helpful. I now book the Elephant for every trip to the area and look forward to the stay rather than dreading another night in a corporate hotel

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Terry H
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Elephant at Pangbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Thank you for your lovely comments, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your extended stay with us while on business. I will also pass on your feedback to our staff, they will be delighted to read your review. We look forward to seeing you back at The Elephant very soon and to enjoy a drink or two in our secret garden!!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Reading through the reviews I can say I agree with the all the favourable comments about this hotel. I like the stylish decor and am delighted that what was once the dowdy old Copper Inn has been replaced by this excellent outfit - long may it thrive. My "single" room was in fact very substantial, and I loved the bathroom and monsoon shower, too. Had a fantastic, comfortable night - felt very refreshed. Although I didn't sample the restaurant, I would recommend the hotel to anyone based on accommodation alone. One thing I was particularly impressed by was the customer service: I overheard the receptionist offering to set a table for lunch guests outside rather than inside as it was such a nice day. A very thoughtful touch.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Amanda958
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Elephant at Pangbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Brilliant - thanks for your lovely review, glad to hear you had a good night's sleep with us. It's particularly satisfying to hear such positive feedback about our hard working team, it's greatly motivational and I pass on all comments. We hope to see you again soon and I hope you decide to try our restaurant next time!

Reviewed 21 June 2013

The Elephant is a very nice small hotel, but a very interestig one. Every room has another topic - but be sure, you will find an enelphant everywhere! Even it is on a busy road when you are out in the garden for a bite, a beer or a glas of wine - it is really like heaven. very appreciated after a long day in the office.

Nice area to have a walk - and Pangbourne itself is like out of a fairy tale!

Room Tip: the room in the main builing has more atmosphere as the buildung must be very old ... but you might...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Erika L

Many thanks for your feedback, and really pleased to hear The Elephant made such a good impression. Our secret garden is a real haven as you say, particularly on these hot days - you wouldn't think we have such a large, beautiful space to the back of our hotel given we're in the heart of Pangbourne. We're only a minute or two from the river too, it's a great location.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I went on business as I was working in the Reading area. The rooms are Indian themed and they have thought about everything you need to feel comfortable with those little touches of luxury such as specialist "tea pigs", a cut above what you normally find. Luxury soaps and shampoos, even a small bottle of sloe gin by your bedside. Impeccably clean and well laid out, my room was on the ground floor and a door opened out into the hotel garden where you had your own little table and chairs. The Church overlooking the garden lets you know on the hour what time it is in a mature undisturbing way without wakening you up. Pangbourne is an excellent venue for discovering the area and much better than staying in Reading. Although there are trains from the station up the road. Take a walk into the next county, Oxfordshire and visit the Greyhound Pub, a very local and welcoming pub and surprisingly will take you ten to 15 minutes to walk. Two counties in one evening...not bad

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the ground floor with your own outside table, you will not regret it
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BillCRochdale

I’m really pleased to hear you had such a fantastic stay and enjoyed the quirky touches and décor at The Elephant; it’s not everyday day you get to mix business with pleasure. Thanks for adding tips about travel in the local area, as well as our secret garden - it's always a treat to see a guest's reaction to the garden at the back of the hotel as it's rather unexpected but it is a real sanctuary, particularly after a long day.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed at the Elephant in pangbourne on 15th June 2013 as we were attending a wedding in the area ,
The staff were lovely, nice bar area and our room was nicely furnished
Great Breakfast , We would stay there again
Jackie and Alan Fairminer

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Elephant at Pangbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us while up for a weekend wedding; many thanks for recommending us and I hope we can welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 14 May 2013

lovley hotel .it was very clean comfatable and staff were very friendly the bar area had a .great atmosphere. very nice rooms ad great treats awaiting you in your room.breakfast was lovley with local cheeses and meats aswell as the usual fry ups. bought a deal from buy a gift for 2 nights cost £80 great value/

Room Tip: back rooms overlook the lovley garden
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Elephant at Pangbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Thanks for such a happy review, I was really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay so much, especially the quirky little extras in your room, and hope you come back and stay with us again soon – make sure you check our website for details of special offers too.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

To be honest we didn't expect too much from this place - I often think the description "quirky" means dusty - but actually it was a great find - and very clean! The room was nicely furnished, we had Ocean Liners, not over the top theming at all but nice to know each room was slightly different. The bed and pillows were the absolute best and ever so perfect for our ultra relaxed intentions, the bath filled in seconds and the shower was powerful.
When we arrived the heating was on fullblast but this was corrected very quickly - apparently a timer had been left on. Nevertheless the bathroom remained a little warm for my taste.
We ate in the restaurant the first night and I have to agree with other reviewers the food didn't quite hit the spot though it is a lovely room and service was excellent. Breakfast however was delicious so perhaps it is what you order?
On the food front we also ate, totally by luck, at the Cross Keys pub across the road from the hotel the first night of them doing food - we had a delicious spatchcock chicken with 2 sides between two of us alongside a lovely pudding each all for under £30. The pub was heaving with people and they only just managed to squeeze us in, so I suggest you book if you are planning on going here anytime soon.
The picture on Tripadvisor does not do the Elephant Hotel nor it's location justice. Although on a roundabout it is in the quietish village of Pangbourne and there are lovely walks and pubs by the river a short distance away. We were able to park in the hotel car park throughout our stay which was an added bonus.
We did book this hotel after being given "an experience" as a gift so I am not sure how much it cost but all in all I would certainly recommend it as a relaxing place to spend a day or two.

Room Tip: We had a room in the annexe which was peaceful though overlooking a beer garden.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Peter S, Operations Manager at The Elephant at Pangbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thanks for leaving us your feedback. Really pleased to hear you enjoyed your room so much and that we surpassed your expectations; I'm sorry your evening meal didn't quite hit the spot for you though, I'll certainly look into why that could have been with the kitchen as we have an AA rosette at The Elephant that we're really proud of. We'll also see about adding some new photos to this site over the summer too so we can really show off! We all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Pangbourne
The Swan at Streatley
#1 of 2 in Sonning-on-Thames
Malmaison Reading
Malmaison Reading
#4 of 31 in Reading

Been to The Elephant at Pangbourne? Share your experiences!