“Relaxing horsey haven”

Ranked #1 of 1 Pangbourne B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing horsey haven”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I just returned from a two night stay at heron's farm on their adult intensive riding break. The B&B is run by Maggie, who is welcoming, informal and friendly. It's in an idyllic location surrounded by horse fields, and has the faded chic of a classic English manor house. My room was big, had a sofa, big screen TV and modern power shower with a two window aspect over the fields at the front of the house. Very quiet. I was staying on my own so had my dinner informally in the kitchen dining room with some girls who were working at the stables for the summer - all lovely company and very friendly, with delicious home cooked food. I was made to feel really at home. I rode three times each day, and had the benefit of some incredibly well qualified instructors, as well as two glorious hacks. There are great places to walk around and lots of friendly horses to visit. A really special place to immerse yourself in the English countryside and equestrian pursuits.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank S T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Having read the recent review by a couple who stayed at herons farm for a Wedding I felt I needed to write this review, I have stayed at Herons Farm on many occasions over the years and have stayed in several rooms and cottages.The Farm house is Rustic but this is part of its charm and those who understand this will appreciate it in its entirety. Single glazed windows? That I have never noticed, all I will say is that its very cosy in the winter. The cottages i have stayed in are compact but in a good way( Cowslip and Crab apple) , there is everything you need and they have been very well thought out, the Spiral is out of this world and a must. The owner is a busy lady so if there are things missing in rooms its an oversight and will be rectified as soon as you bring it to her attention, if you need anything you just ask. I would recommend Herons Farm to anyone, it is a wonderful place that offers so much more than just accomodation, yes I am a fan.

Room Tip: The Spiral is a place you will never forget, amazing !The Farm house is charming as are Crab Apple a...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Very rustic but very dated Farmhouse, stayed in Large Willow room, no tea or coffee making facilities, no mirror in room! Bathroom down the landing is Very dated with tiles missing from shower base and heavily stained bath. All windows single glazed.
Breakfast had poor selection of cereals (2) was filling but not cooked to order so eggs hard and bacon overcooked. No yoghurts or fruit so not the breakfast you would expect from a Country retreat. The converted stables on the other hand were great although very compact. In essence the rooms in the house require major update.

Room Tip: Stay in converted stables not the house.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen K
atlanta
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My 11 year old daughter and I recently stayed at Herons Farm for a night on our way to Heathrow. I found Herons Farm, located in the midst of 100 lush acres (but yet very close to the M4), to be a jewel of a house in a beautiful setting. Maggie, the owner, could not have been nicer. When she learned that we had to leave at 6:00 am the next morning, she insisted on getting up and making us a cooked breakfast! I will be back and next time will plan to stay longer
and plan to ride at their exceptional riding facilities. I learned that another guest had booked for a night and ended up staying for 3 and 1/2 weeks--I only wish we could have done the same.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank wilsonAtlanta
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We held our wedding reception at Heron's Farm on Saturday 16th June.

Despite questionable weather the day was a great success. Linda was magnificent both in the lead up and on the day. She is very helpful and goes out of her way to provide workable solutions for you.

The barn looked incredible and we were able to structure the day as we desired. The staff at the farm worked diligently throughout to ensure the day went seamlessly.

Some of our guests stayed in the farm house and Maggie ensured their stay was everything they imagined it would be and more.

This venue really is special and the staff are amazing.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NickAndCarina
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My partner and I stayed at Herons Farm in one of the converted barns for 2 nights. We had an amazing time. Maggie couldn't have done enough for us. We only lived just over an hour away and had no idea this idyllic place was there. Maggies food was excellent from her breakfast to lunch. We were made to feel like part of the family. We will defintely be back!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My wife Alison and I decided on a last minute visit to see our new grandchild, problem being no dog sitter available - the dogs had to come with us. A search on google identifed a few likely hotels but none were unavailable for the dates needed. We then found Herons Farm, a quick phone call and a brief discussion over the rules for our dogs and a booking was made. We expect to confirm the rules concerning dogs, this is only fair and what we agree is necessary to avoid misunderstandings and ensure ongoing availabilty. The room was super, very clean and tidy, well equipped and the shower was powerful...not the dribbling type found in many B&B's. The breakfast was delicious, the eggs are from chickens on the farm and other ingredients sourced locally. The farm itself is a wonderful collection of attractive buildings with genuine history, and set in stunning Berkshire countryside. We had a wonderfully enjoyable and relaxing few days stay and we can wholeheartedly recommend Herons Farm to anyone. We will definately visit again! Oh! and the dogs - Maisie and Lola really enjoyed it too!

Room Tip: The rooms we had are those usually given to guests with dogs. There is plenty of exercise ground imm...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pangbourne
The Elephant at Pangbourne
#2 of 17 in Newbury
Beech House Hotel
Beech House Hotel
#9 of 31 in Reading

Been to Herons Farm B&B? Share your experiences!