“short stay self catering at Herons Farm”
Review of Herons Farm B&B

Herons Farm B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Pangbourne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have just returned from a short stay . Maggie was very pleasant and helpful. I was in need of a relaxing break away with my 2 dogs- Herons Farm fitted the bill. One has to respect that you are staying at an equestrian centre ie keeping your dogs on a lead etc. around the stables but once out in the woods they were fine off the lead. There are 400 acres of walks so great for humans and dogs alike. I would return.!

Vanessa

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank vanessa l

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I Have been staying at Herons farm on a weekly basis for over 18 months, since I started a new job nearby. Maggie, the owner, is very hands on and accommodating, ensuring that everything is provided, that said she also leaves you to your own devices - to create a great home from home feeling..

Having read the last review I felt compelled to write as I don't recognise the place described. There are rules for a reason, Heron's farm is Maggie's home (which she shares with her guests as per most B&B's) but its also a working livery yard. That's why dogs need to be on leads and to not understand this shows immense naivety, if not stupidity. The place offers great value and comfortable accommodation as well as ample parking - therefore no need to park on the lawns, again, unless you cant use common sense! I urge you to ignore the last review and give it a go. it's great, as is Maggie and her team! Maggie cares about her guests and the cleanliness of the cottages - I don't want to sit on a couch that has been sat on by a dog and I'm a dog lover.

The great benefit and trouble with freedom of speech (and trip advisor) is that it's not discriminatory and allows people who's opinions are misguided to speak and write drivel and upset people who are just trying their best - like Maggie.

I've seen plenty of happy children enjoying the facilities her and plenty of 'happy' dogs on leads, both appear very much welcomed by Maggie.

I've said enough and have no axe to grind against the last reviewer, apart from giving an objective and genuine response.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank saffrongc
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Our grandkids really wanted to experience horse riding, so we checked in after having called up to organise some pony rides for the kids and hacks for the adults. An hour before we arrived, we called again to make sure that the rides would be available. I have to say, we didn't feel very welcome from the moment we arrived. My partner thinks that maybe we got off on the wrong foot by parking on the grass, however, there were no signs as to where to park when we first arrived, so we parked on the grass beside two other cars in a drive way next to main building/reception. When we got in to the reception, my dog was off lead, so the owner told us about the need for him being on the lead, and also ushered us quickly out of the main building because her Jack Russell was "possessive." Being a dog owner, I can understand this, so no hard feelings then.

However, on the way to showing us to our cottages, she reiterated that the dog had to be on the lead, and also complained to us about another guest who had let their dog into the cottage all muddy and had messed up the place and they had to repaint the cottage walls. At this point, my dog started to do a poo on the lawn, and even as I was rustling in my pocket for a bag, she said, "And you clean up after your dog." It wasn't so much what she said, but how she said it. She also complained to my partner as to why 'some people would park on the grass and kill it.'

She then asked if I had brought what the dog needed. We always travel with 3 towels for the dog, one to dry him if he gets wet, and one for him to lie down on, and a spare, plus his drink and food bowls, so I said, 'yes' though I felt a bit miffed at this stage, as if I had gone to my grand aunt's to stay rather than having rented a cottage; I was being tolerated on sufferance and was being subjected to a litany of house rules. Later, as the rest of the family were shown the adjoining cottage, the owner asked if the grandkids would wet the beds, and told us about extra costs if this happened. We had to assure her that both the grandkids were potty trained. As you can imagine, we really didn't feel very welcomed with these kinds of questions and what we felt was the laying down of rules.

We then took the grandkids over to the equestrian centre to get them sorted, and here there appeared to have been some confusion, as neither bookings had been made for the kids or for the adults. After about half an hour of sorting things out, the kids got their rides, but we were told the adults could ride a while later at 4:15. When we returned to the equestrian office for our rides, we were told that there were no horses available for the adults. So we thought, that's okay, at least the kids got to do what we came here to do. We wanted to book rides for both kids and adults for the next day also but were told after the first session for the kids, that that one of them was a tad young, and if we wanted to book for the next day, only one of the two could ride again. We decided to give it a miss. In the case of the adults we were told that the only rides available would be after 2 pm, by which time we would have left so we didn't book any more rides.

When we arrived back to our cottage, my partner felt it was cold, even though we had asked the owner to turn on the heating when we arrived. My partner went to ask the owner to come and check it out. She got upset when she came in and saw my dog on the sofa. She then preceded to say something like 'it wasn't fair,' 'that we had agreed' and so on. I tried to tell her that I was very careful with my dog, that he wasn't wet or muddy, or smelly, and that we would do our best to keep him 'off the furnishings' as she called it. We've travelled with our dog everywhere and walk him round our part of London off lead, and I appreciate that this is a working farm with horses, it's also a small business and all, but I don't think the owner cared to hear what I had to say. So anyways, thankfully, he spent the rest of the night under the sofa. The owner also told us that the heating gets turned off at 11pm, and my partner asked her to leave it on, and volunteered to pay extra.

We had also booked for breakfast for the next morning, but to be honest, we were feeling quite unwelcomed and if not for the kids, would have left that night after a prebooked dinner at a local pub. Instead, because of the kids, we decided to leave first thing in the morning, and skip breakfast, so we put a note through the door of the main building to let the owner know straight away about our change of plans as we didn't think she would appreciate cooking unnecessarily (she had already confirned two or three time if we were coming for breakfast and at what time). About half hour later, around 9pm or so, she came to the cottage door to reconfirm this cancellation in person, she also asked about our bookings for rides the next day. I told her I didn't think there were any bookings. [I wasn't with my partner and the grandkids as they were in the adjoining cottage, but they didn't tell me they had planned anything for the next day.]

The next morning, my partner went to settle up. The owner asked, 'What about the 3 horse rides booked for today?' My partner told her that there wasn't any such booking. She repeated about the three bookings, and my partner had to assure her there wasn't any booking made, but felt guilty as if she had left them in a lurch even thought she had been told the previous day that she could only ride after 2 pm by which time she would have left the farm The owner asked her to pay the extra heating charge and also to pay extra for cleaning the linens because our dog had been on the sofa, which my partner refused after insisting the dog had slept under the bed.

So anyway, all in all, I have to say, we didn't have a good weekend break. The cottages were presentable though rustic -- though that was expected. Some of the dishes and cutlery in the cupboards were stained, and one of the showers was not very clean. Overall, we just didn't enjoy ourselves -- we spent most of the evening there worrying about whether we had contravened any rules and about protecting the furnishings, whether from the kids or the dog. And I couldn't wait for morning so we could leave; and the extra hour caused by the change in daylight saving was agony.

I really think they should put on their website that they don't welcome dogs or young children. Tolerating them and welcoming them is not the same thing.

It was really a shame as my partner visited ten years ago and enjoyed her stay so much that she wanted to share the place with the family and especially the grandkids.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank FT-London
Heronsfarm, Owner at Herons Farm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

She forgot to mention that she booked a couple of cottages last Christmas and cancelled at the last moment, she paid a £200 deposit. In October this year she booked again and as a gesture of goodwill I credited £150 against this stay. She asked if she could bring her dog, (we have one cottage where a dog can stay), I explained she could bring the dog on the following conditions: that she brings the dogs own bed, bowl and towel, the dog must be on a lead at all times and that she must clear up after the dog, she sent an email agreeing to the terms.

When they arrived they walked straight into my home with their loose dog, I thought this rude as people knock or ring the door bell. I asked that they put the dog on a lead and take him outside as I have a sweet Jack Russell who might not accept an uninvited dog. They opened the door and just let the dog run, I asked if they could put the dog on a lead and they refused, then I noticed they had parked two vehicles (1 heavy 4x4) on my lawn, I asked if they could move the vehicles as there was plenty of hard standing in front of the house and 5 parking places on either side, they found this most inconvenient the sighs said it all, I explained the vehicles could leave ruts in a well kept lawn. I then noticed the dog messing on the lawn and asked that they move it, in a short space of time I experienced such disregard and lack of respect for the property, so yes she is correct ‘it got off on the wrong foot’.
I asked if they had brought a dog bed, the answer was ‘of course we have’ a lie.
I did tell them of the experience I had a few years ago in the hope that they might respect the accommodation.

I took them to the cottages. We always ask parents if very young children wet the bed so that we can put in appropriate protection, no one has been offended by this. The heating was on in both cottages. I was called because one cottage was not as warm as the other, so two of us went to investigate, the large radiator was not turned on, the sofa bed was down into a bed and the dog was laying in the middle of it, I was very surprised and asked that they take the dog off the bed, they refused, I reminded her she said she had brought a dog bed as agreed, the answer was ‘so what’. This was not a small dog. The sofa bed is about 4-6 inches off the ground so is completely impossible for a dog to get under it. She had broken her word and email agreement. They asked what time the heating went off, I told them 11pm, they asked that it be left on all night and offered to pay £5 which I accepted.

Later I found a note through my door cancelling breakfast, so I went over to see if the one child was riding in the morning, and was told no – the dog was still on the bed.

Riding: They did request to ride but could not confirm a time but said they would ring later, they did and said due to the traffic didn’t know exactly what time and were told that we would just fit them in if we could when they came. She was aware that the child had to be 4 due to insurance. We were told she was 4. A Senior Instructor taught the two children and the parents said they wanted to watch. After the lesson we discovered one of the children was 3 so therefore could not ride again with us until she had had her 4th birthday. The Senior Instructor took the booking for 2 adults to ride on the Sunday. The rest of her essay is untrue.

I am pleased one partner enjoyed her stay 10 years ago, we have not changed.

We have been extremely lucky in the past as the people who have stayed with us have been and pleasure to meet and look after.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Just arrived home after the most wonderful experience. Even the 4 hour drive there and back was a good experience. Checking out the huge houses set in beautiful grounds was amazing. Everyone we met was very helpful and friendly. Maggie and her team are welcoming, interesting and hardworking. The farm is an increadable business. The horse riding was brilliant. We wish we lived closer and would certainly return, we was made to feel very welcome. Thank you for a great weekend it was a pleasure to meet you all.. Next time we come full staff night out to readding it is !! Nicola and Debbie ( the red letter Yorkshire girls) x

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Nicola C
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Our daughter and her fiancé wanted a relaxed, rustic, unstuffy experience for their nuptuals and were not disappointed by their wedding at Herons Farm. Accommodation both in the farmhouse and in the cottages/converted stables is quirky and unique, with adjacent activities of the working stables constantly supplying interest, beautiful horses and acres of green fields to look out onto. Don't expect 'full on' boutique-style hotel facilities with modern/contemporary fittings/decor and all the accompanying 'whistes and bells'. What you DO get is all that you need, with Maggie and her team doing everything they can to make your stay/wedding a great experience with a flexible, homely, charming, informal atmosphere. Maggie offered us the use of the Garden BBQ lodge on the night before the wedding where 9 of us sat around an unusual indoor and very atmospheric central fire enjoying pizzas and wine!
Our family breakfast in the farmhouse was a relaxed affair, very tasty, plentiful and quick to arrive - important when hairdressers and make-up have to be done early!
Elaine, the wedding co-ordinator, did a great job in making the wedding itself run smoothly in the Barn and was invaluable for all her help and advice.
A wonderful wedding indeed!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Vivienne T
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I stayed in the 'spiral' cottage for two nights with my husband while we attended a friend's wedding. The 'spiral' cottage is amazing. Lovely spiral stairs upto a bedroom with lovely views. Novel bathroom and its unique character makes it a fun place to stay. I especially liked the little bath. I think I need one in my own house :) The staff are friendly and welcoming. Thankyou for an excellent weekend.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank CharFarr
Reviewed 9 August 2013

a wonderfully relaxed and laid back environment for a wedding. We were made to feel so welcome, at breakfast nothing was too much trouble. A lovely place for a 6 year old as well. It would be a great place for a holiday as well, with great places to visit nearby.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Frances B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pangbourne
The George Hotel
#1 of 2 in Sonning-on-Thames
Royal Oak
Royal Oak
#1 of 1 in Yattendon

Been to Herons Farm B&B? Share your experiences!