“Poor meal from superficially nice hotel”
Review of Christoph's

Christoph's
Ranked #13 of 18 Restaurants in Pangbourne
Price range: US$39 - US$79
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 June 2013

NIce hotel on the face of it, but t when you try and use the facilities with a disabled traveller you start to find all sorts of issues.

So it is not wheelchair friendly/

We had a private meal here which was served buffet style. Starters and meal were all edible and of reasonable quality but the house wines were pretty dreadful.

For the price though the meal was poor value.

Peter S, Operations Manager at Christoph's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback, and I apologise for what sounds like a rather frustrating visit for you. We do have full wheelchair access to all areas of the hotel, including a fully adapted ground floor bedroom and I'm sorry if this was not made clear to you at the time; I will make sure I address that with the team. I was also disappointed to read you did not find our house wines to your liking - we get consistently good feedback on our wines in particular and I'm sorry it did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

I reviewed the restaurant at the Elephant nearly a couple of years ago after a very bad experience with the service.I let everyone know just how unhappy I was at how I had been treated. My husband and I had lunch there today and I am am pleased to report that we were treated very well. Lunch was good quality and reasonable value but most of all I am delighted to say that the service was excellent. We were served by a waitress who we know from previous visits and she is a delight. It also appears that relations between the kitchen and waiting staff are now much better.
It is important to us that the Elephant does well. We live locally and we want every opportunity to enjoy a meal out. My only issue is that the bar menu is so limited and pretty basic. Nevertheless, The Elephant is again on our list of suitable eating places

1  Thank reading1234
Peter S, Operations Manager at Christoph's, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Many thanks for such an honest review. I'm really pleased you decided to try The Elephant again, and that we're now on your list of recommended places to eat in Pangbourne. Delighted you both enjoyed our Sunday lunch; I also wanted to let you know we are reviewing our bar menu at the moment and I hope you enjoy the new dishes on there, should you choose it on your next visit.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Family dinner. 6 of us ate in the restaurant on Sunday 6th April. This was our second time here as residents and every bit as good as our last . The hotel and restaurant have a very relaxed feel , staff all excellent and very friendly.
The menu was not large but between us we had most of the dishes and each one was delicious, I particularly like the ham hock terrine. A special mention must go to our waitress Tara who was looked after us so well, nothing was too much trouble and she is clearly someone who enjoys her work.q
When we make our trips south to see our son who now lives in Pangbourne and our daughter in London, this will be where we will stay as both the hotel and restaurant offer excellent value for money.

1  Thank Missfoodlove2305
Peter S, Operations Manager at Christoph's, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

Many thanks for your review, it’s great to hear such wonderful feedback and that you’re planning to make The Elephant a regular stop-over. I frequently share feedback from this site with the team and will certainly pass on your comments to Tara, who I am sure will be thrilled to hear them.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

The food was excellent for a very reasonable price. The staff was friendly and we had nothing to complain

1  Thank stesib
Peter S, Operations Manager at Christoph's, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are so pleased that you took the time to leave us such a wonderful review, thank you!

Reviewed 6 December 2012

We had a great time at the Elephant. Food was of very decent quality considering reasonable prices, services friendly and unobtrusive. The restaurant as well as the hotel are very nicely decorated, Not the most exquisite of dining experiences but definitely worth trying.

1  Thank Dick M
Peter S, Manager at Christoph's, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review.
We all very much look forward to seeing you again at The Elephant