“Lovely Food”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
England, United Kingdom
“Lovely Food”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The food at The Elephant is good, with a good selection of interesting dishes. However whenever we have eaten there, we are usually one of only a couple of tables in the dining room. It always feels a bit odd. Last time there was just one other couple, and they were celebrating their anniversary! The pub part is always busy but the restaurant lacks atmosphere. It's a shame as the food is very good.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank 21stcenturyhousewife
Peter S, Manager at Christoph's, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I'm really pleased to hear that you have found the food good on both occasions, i have taken on board your feedback regarding the restaurant and we have now opened it up to those dining from the bar menu to try and increase the atmosphere. Hopefully we will see you again soon
Kind regards
Peter

Windlesham, United Kingdom
“Perfect stay”
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location
Lovely hotel, food was excellent
Room was exquisite
Very comfy bed and pillows
Luxury
Management and staff were very helpful polite and very courteous
Would definitely go back!!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank corrine e
Peter S, Manager at Christoph's, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Thanks for such a wonderful review, hopefully we will see you return to the Elephant soon

Kind regards

Peter
UK
“Wedding Anniversary Lunch”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We had an anniversary lunch here in the function room for just over forty guests including grandchildren from ages twelve weeks to fifteen years. The room was ideal with patio doors leading onto the extensive gardens where the children could play if bored, and we also had the adjoining lounge available exclusively to our party for arrival drinks and coffee after the meal if required due to wet weather. In fact the sun shone and the gardens were ideal for both.
All the arrangements before hand were handled very professionally and all our requests easily performed.
The meal itself was superb, the standard of cooking and service was remarked upon by everyone ,the majority of those who had the roast rump lamb saying it was the best lamb they had ever tasted. Considering the standard of food and service the cost was very reasonable.
I would like to thank all the staff, for making it such a memorable occasion, especially Matt who was there both during the arrangement phase and on the day itself.
Anyone considering a private party in the Pangbourne area should certainly consider The Elephant as a venue.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank pilotteacher
Peter S, Operations Manager at Christoph's, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you for such a glowing review, I'm really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your special lunch with us so much. I will pass your kind comments onto Matt and his team who will be thrilled to hear them. We hope to see you again in the near future
Royston, United Kingdom
“Poor meal from superficially nice hotel”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

NIce hotel on the face of it, but t when you try and use the facilities with a disabled traveller you start to find all sorts of issues.

So it is not wheelchair friendly/

We had a private meal here which was served buffet style. Starters and meal were all edible and of reasonable quality but the house wines were pretty dreadful.

For the price though the meal was poor value.

Visited June 2013
Peter S, Operations Manager at Christoph's, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback, and I apologise for what sounds like a rather frustrating visit for you. We do have full wheelchair access to all areas of the hotel, including a fully adapted ground floor bedroom and I'm sorry if this was not made clear to you at the time; I will make sure I address that with the team. I was also disappointed to read you did not find our house wines to your liking - we get consistently good feedback on our wines in particular and I'm sorry it did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
Reading, United Kingdom
“good Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I reviewed the restaurant at the Elephant nearly a couple of years ago after a very bad experience with the service.I let everyone know just how unhappy I was at how I had been treated. My husband and I had lunch there today and I am am pleased to report that we were treated very well. Lunch was good quality and reasonable value but most of all I am delighted to say that the service was excellent. We were served by a waitress who we know from previous visits and she is a delight. It also appears that relations between the kitchen and waiting staff are now much better.
It is important to us that the Elephant does well. We live locally and we want every opportunity to enjoy a meal out. My only issue is that the bar menu is so limited and pretty basic. Nevertheless, The Elephant is again on our list of suitable eating places

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank reading1234
Peter S, Operations Manager at Christoph's, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Many thanks for such an honest review. I'm really pleased you decided to try The Elephant again, and that we're now on your list of recommended places to eat in Pangbourne. Delighted you both enjoyed our Sunday lunch; I also wanted to let you know we are reviewing our bar menu at the moment and I hope you enjoy the new dishes on there, should you choose it on your next visit.