“Fun Place for 18 Month old & Grandparents”

Ranked #2 of 22 things to do in Rocky Mount
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had a good time walking around and plating with the exhibits. Better than most museums because kids get hands on (and feet too). Nice and wide open, well lit and in a great area in Rocky Mount.

1  Thank Stanton M

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We moved to Greenville NC from Amarillo, TX in August 2013. We had very much enjoyed the Amarillo Discovery Center, and were members. We also enjoyed the benefits of the ASTC, which allowed us to visit other science centers around the country. When our Amarillo DC membership expired, we had to decide between the Wilson and Rocky Mount memberships.

The Rocky Mount membership was the clear choice. For $60/year, you get unlimited entry to the museum for 1 year, and recripirical benefits at other ASTC facilities, including the one in Wilson.The membership does not include free unlimited movies at the planetarium, as the Amarillo DC did, however you do get 2 free passes, so you can watch one show.

The science center itself is in an old tobacco mill. I don't find that fact to particularly appealing, but some are likely to find that this adds an element of local history and charm to the place.

There are not very many science-centric attractions (no rotation tables, sand pendulums, vacuum balloons, etc. It does a fairly large kids section, covered with padded flooring. Here you will find a small plastic fruit/vegetable stand with a scale, kid-sized fireman outfits, a toddler sensory section with wood block toys, memory and music games, among others. There is also a section set up with very flimsy child-sized exercise equipment, right next to a brick wall, which strikes me as rather dangerous. Indeed the treadmill seems to have been broken, and is almost impossible for my 4 year old to run on.

We do like Sandy, a 1949 ride on horse, operated by a coin machine. We put a dime and, and it worked! I'm sure it's not 2014 safety compliant, there is no seatbelt, but I do like that my daughter can ride on a 70 year old toy.

They do a human body exploration section, but it is very low tech, and very dated (1970s technology I would say). There will be a plastic lung, and you can push buttons and hear a recording over a speaker, or a part of a display will light up.

Downstairs, they have some decent funky toys, huge padded dominos that you can build with or stack and knock over, a floor that lights up and makes noise as you walk over it, and a cool device that distorts your voice either faster or slower as you talk into it. I like to sneak up on my daughter and throw a BOO into her microphone as she is using it.

We did see one planetarium show: Big Bird and the Stars, which was a good planetarium program. The planetarium itself is the smallest I have ever seen, with a ball-shaped projector in the middle of the room (similar to what I saw when I was a kid in the 1980s).

The staff are VERY nice, everyone greets you with a smile and asks if you are having fun. I've been to at least a dozen of these places, and I put the staff at this place as the second most friendly, behind the Amarillo DC. On the other hand, they did take about a month and a phone call reminder to send us our membership card.

Overall, I'm happy to have this place within driving distance. It is the cheapest membership I have had, and the place does the trick for now. I wish Greenville would build a modern one, but I am happy with this place. We usually do 2-3 hours here, then have lunch, then go to Chucky Cheese for another hour or so before heading home.

Please note: Marbles in Raleigh is also very good, and although Marbles is an ASTC member, they do not honor memberships from ASTC members within 90 miles. This is not a big deal, Marbles is only $5, but it does strike me as cheesy of Marbles.

1  Thank fsu23phd
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

It is a really nice place to visit. Cool things to do here. My family and I have attended a wedding reception here. We enjoyed it so much that we are having our oldest daughters wedding and reception there this fall.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

It is enough for one afternoon. You won't find more than a couple of hours worth of stuff to see and do. Good for kids 3-8 years old. You should definitely see the planetarium shows.

1  Thank Diana H
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This museum might be small, but it is well worth the trip for little kids and school groups. It is very hands on, and has some great animals there as well. The staff is always very friendly and there are lots to do here, give it a try.