“Shangri-La of the South” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Prime Smokehouse Barbecue & Beyond
Ranked #1 of 135 Restaurants in Rocky Mount
Price range: US$10 - US$23
Cuisines: Bar, American, Barbecue
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: While we have the only "slow-smoked barbecue" in the Rocky Mount area (featuring spareribs, pulled pork, chopped beef and sliced brisket), we also feature thick hand-cut steaks, juicy burgers, and a wide variety of "fresh" seafood. Our lasagna is homemade with fresh herbs. All of our gourmet sides (orange ginger yams, collard greens, coleslaw, potato salad are made from fresh vegetables, etc.) are made in-house from fresh vegetables -- no cans or frozen! Our macaroni & cheese has been ranked in the top 10 nationally by Travel & Leisure magazine. Our desserts are also homemade, unique and delicious. The jazz-themed restaurant, situated in the neighborhood where legendary jazz pianist Thelonious Monk was born, is the brainchild of Ed Wiley III, Yalem Kiros and Harold Worrell. Ed Wiley is the son of jazz saxophone great Ed Wiley Jr.
“Shangri-La of the South”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

I've been to the Prime Smokehouse three times and have enjoyed every trip. Service is accommodating and pleasant. It's a great atmosphere for a meal with friends but is best enjoyed with the live music on Friday and Saturday evenings. The owners frequently circulate the room ensuring their guests are enjoying the delicious food. It is perhaps the most aptly named business in Rocky Mount... Prime.

York, PA
“Great food, great atmosphere - best crab cakes in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have been traveling to Rocky Mount for the last 10 years, 6 to 8 times per year. When it came time to eat, there were never very many places where you ate and you were like wow, that was incredible. That was until this place opened...

It's a totally different type of restaurant, none like it in the area that I've found as of this date. The closest was another new restaurant Lou Reda's, but the food is not comparable. I tried the crab cake at Lou's, and it was mostly filler with very little crab. At the Prime smokehouse, it was a true crab cake - nothing but crab meat and minimal ingredients to help bind it. The chef/owner is from the Baltimore and Phili area and knows how to make a crab cake! I ate here 3 times and tried a bunch of other items from their menu and everything was excellent. The beef brisket, spare ribs, and wings are all smoked to perfection. It's not smoked so hard that it punches you in the face and ruins the meat, it's just right.

They also have an excellent beer selection if your into IPA's and other local brew.

I highly recommend, if you are in the area - punch this place into your GPS and check it out. Parking is on the street (it's a one way street) or on the side of the building.

I know I won't be eating anywhere else when I'm in town. Thanks Chef!

Plattsburgh, New York, USA
“Wonderfully delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

While visiting my sister in Rocky Mount, we went here for the BBQ. I had ribs, which were tender and delicious, along with sides of mac & cheese and the string beans. Everything was outstanding! My mouth was watering for BBQ and I was not disappointed. Our friend had the brisket and said it was melt-in-mouth tender.

Rocky Mount
“Very Enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

My parents had read an article in the local paper when the resturant first opened. We arrived about 4:30pm and it was not very busy. They have live music on the weekends and will charge a cover charge. No band was playing when we went, so I can't comment on that. Our server was VERY friendly and very helpful with questions. All of the sides are homemade and taste very fresh. I had the ribs and brisket. The brisket was excellent! The ribs were good, but a bit on the dry side. The price for the meal is very reasonable and the portions are enought that you won't walk away hungry. Will note that you can get Texas or Eastern Carolina BBQ, for those who are not fans of a vinegar based BBQ.

• Visited October 2013
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
“Could have been wonderful...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

There is a reason why people order sampler with 3 different meat and 2 side dish. I personally wanted to enjoy each flavor though what I ended up getting was 5 items on a very small plate piled up on each other with 1 side dish, Orange flavored Yum dominated other 4 items on the same plate.

Since I shared the sampler, I needed an extra plate. The plate I got was so dirty and it took more than 5 minutes for the waiter to show up even though it was not a busy night. The waiter never stopped talking about 2nd job she has etc etc... and there was no room for service as she was so preoccupied with her agenda when we wanted to leave.

Table was so dirty and you will think twice placing your silverware directly unless you wipe the table by yourself with your napkin with a glass of water.

This place has a great potential, but it will take a long way to be at the level I was hoping they should be.

• Visited October 2013