“The perfect place to learn to kiteboard!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kitty Hawk Kites
Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Rodanthe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: If you're looking for adventure on the Outer Banks, look no further! Kitty Hawk Kites is the Outer Banks' leader in adventure and recreation. Choose from over 25 adventures at locations from Corolla to Ocracoke, including hang gliding, kiteboarding, kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, surf lessons, jet ski rentals and tours, parasailing, JetPak, aero tours and flight instruction, sailing cruises, dolphin tours, horseback riding and wild horse tours, Segway tours, wakeboarding and tubing, light tackle and chartered fishing excursions, 4x4 beach tours, clamming, drone school, and more! With locations from Corolla to Ocracoke, Kitty Hawk Kites is the largest retailer of kites on the Outer Banks, offering everything from single-line kites for kids to advanced stunt kites for experienced fliers. In addition, Kitty Hawk Kites offers the largest selection of toys, flags, and wind art that you won’t find anywhere else on the beach, as well as a leading selection of quality resort apparel, footwear, t-shirts, sweatshirts, sunglasses, gifts, adventure and beach gear and more.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The perfect place to learn to kiteboard!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

This place is amazing - it is by far the best set up to learn to kite surf - shallow warm waters and great winds. The initial learn to kitesurf package is a great deal - with some basic teaching at the beginning which is invaluable (and not boring at all thankfully as you really need to understand the physics of it all) and plenty of time to get your feet wet - literally. The teachers are amazing - very enthusiastic about getting you to learn and love a sport that they hold dear. ONE OF THE MOST EXHILLERATING EXPERIENCES OF MY LIFE - and I only barely got started. There is kite surfing where I am up North - but I will definitely go back down to Rodanthe just to get my skills up a bit more before I set out on my own. ROCK ON!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sasha C

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Where I learned to fly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

If you ever wanted to learn how to kiteboard this is a great place to start. They have basically a resort on the shore of the Pamlico Sound where the water is waist deep for about a mile out and there is rarely a calm breeze. One piece of advice for anyone wanting to learn the sport, buy a trainer kite before you even think about taking the Kiteboarding Camp. You will be so far ahead of everyone else if you already have an understanding of how the kite works. I did and I was in the water my first day while the rest of the class tried to figure it out. Either way within 3 days you will have enough knowledge to get up and cruise the sound(in one direction). Contrary to a reviewers belief, Rodanthe is not the best place to drop in. If you head toward the Hatteras Lighthouse on Hwy 12 just before you get to Buxton there is a long stretch of undeveloped shore line where you can park your car and board in this large cove that gets multi-directional wind and lots of local boarders from East Carolina University and surrounding areas. This sport is not cheap either! Be prepared to drop $2000 plus on decent gear but once you learn the skills you can fly like a Sea Gull. Last I checked they will refund the cost of the camp if you buy your gear from them. There are many other kiteboarding camps out at the OBX but Kitty Hawk's is like a Ron Jon and Marriot all in one.

Visited July 2012
6 Thank Mason5torm
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“my husband went kayaking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

my husband Mel the guide just came back from kayaking with these guys and he had a very good time. he kayaks a lot and knows a good place from a bad one. this one is good. adele from point pleasant nj

Visited October 2012
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful kiteboarding school”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

I was beyond pleased with my experience learning to kiteboard at Kitty Hawk Kiteboarding School. As a complete beginner to kiting, I had no idea what to expect, and didn't even know how to fly a kite. My instructor, Brian, is very experienced in the sport, and was able to break down both theory and skills for easy learning. The "Leaning to Ride" course was supposed to be a 5 hour course, but because there was little wind, my classmate and I spent a part of the afternoon waiting for wind. We were still able to practice flying a trainer kite, and then the instructor took us out in the water to practice flying a bigger kite when the wind picked up enough. Our class ended up lasting a lot longer than the 5 hours scheduled, and the school set us up to return for another part of a day to do the additional water class work. We were able to return a couple of days later and get our water time with the same instructor who was incredibly patient and gracious with his time. They definitely focused on teaching us the sport rather than clocking in and out of the "classroom". The school is part of a larger complex with a restaurant, where you could sit on the patio and watch all the skillful kiters cruise around while the sun went down. It's a great place to spend time watching some amazing tricks and dreaming of your next session.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Adrienne Y
Park City, Utah
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great Launch Site”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I've been to many places for kiteboarding. This place has its act together. Well organized. Safe. Friendly staff & fellow kiters. A shop & restaurant too. I would return here again & again.

Visited November 2011