“Excellent for first-time kiteboarders”
Review of Kitty Hawk Kites

Kitty Hawk Kites
Ranked #4 of 7 things to do in Rodanthe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: If you're looking for adventure on the Outer Banks, look no further! Kitty Hawk Kites is the Outer Banks' leader in adventure and recreation. Choose from over 25 adventures at locations from Corolla to Ocracoke, including hang gliding, kiteboarding, kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, surf lessons, jet ski rentals and tours, parasailing, JetPak, aero tours and flight instruction, sailing cruises, dolphin tours, horseback riding and wild horse tours, Segway tours, wakeboarding and tubing, light tackle and chartered fishing excursions, 4x4 beach tours, clamming, drone school, and more! With locations from Corolla to Ocracoke, Kitty Hawk Kites is the largest retailer of kites on the Outer Banks, offering everything from single-line kites for kids to advanced stunt kites for experienced fliers. In addition, Kitty Hawk Kites offers the largest selection of toys, flags, and wind art that you won’t find anywhere else on the beach, as well as a leading selection of quality resort apparel, footwear, t-shirts, sweatshirts, sunglasses, gifts, adventure and beach gear and more.
Reviewed 30 July 2014

A great experience for first time kiteboarders, as instructors are very patient and experienced. Plus this is a great place to view kiteboarders at sunset.

1  Thank appetizergal73
in 3 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Great lessons, Tim was our instructor. Have a few windless days, guys worked with us to reschedule, they were great. Also, great deck, nice place to watch the sunset and have a beer.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Kitty Hawk kiteboarding has not only a first class school! but A#1 facilities, equipment, and instructors! In the water, you are able to stand up at least a mile off shore on a sandy bottom. The kite set us area has pressurized pumps, a large short grass area with in the ground tethers, and also a beach launch area. The instructors are very patient and take you at the level you come with.. I felt that after 5 months of no kiteboarding that I would have to relearn a lot. My instructor had me up and riding within 1/2 hour! I was able to try several different kites and boards also. They offer private lessons as well as supervision (they come rescue you after you have been sailing downwind and bring you back on a jet ski). I now know how to use a jet ski too!

There is also an amazing 3BR, 3BA condo facility adjacent to the center that is worth a stay!

2  Thank Jane F
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This was my second trip to Waves Village and Kitty Hawk Kites.
I took 4 days of private lessons just prior to labor day weekend.
Brian is an excellent instructor and very patient showing me what I was doing right and what I needed to correct. I am totally hooked and can't wait for my next trip.

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I didn't see a listing for just the Kitty Hawk kite store in Rodanthe, and the school is apparently attached, so here goes.

I've ordered t-shirts and hats from Kitty Hawk Kites over the internet several times, as they have a particular t-shirt design that nobody else on the internet seems to carry. This was the first time I visited the store in person, and was blown away by the sheer size and assortment of items.

Obviously they excel in their selection of kites and kite boarding gear, but we weren't there for sports. We were into the t-shirts and gifts, which they have a crazy good selection of. If you're visiting Rodanthe, this is one of the must-see shops on the island. Go for it!

If you miss the Rodanthe store, don't worry. It's an island chain and you'll find Kitty Hawk Kite stores all up and down the Outer Banks islands.

-- author Sharon Delarose