“Great Memorial Day weekend”
Review of Cape Hatteras KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rodanthe
Cape Hatteras KOA
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Yes there is construction but it is all for improvements. Pool open and is HUGE. Need more deck lounge chairs.
Beach by campground is never too crowded. Lots of room for swimming and fishing.
Cafe opened this weekend so still getting into groove but staff's positive attitude makes up for it.
Family activities all weekend. They learned our son's name which personalize his experience. Big multipurpose room adds flexibility for activities during inclement weather.
Wifi and cable need work to gain consistent reception.
We will be back next year, our fourth visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank merrydb
There are newer reviews for Cape Hatteras KOA

Reviewed 21 April 2013

We spent 3 nights in a cabin. When we made the reservation we weren’t told of the on going construction. The main building / office is currently being constructed. The office is in a construction trailer located on the south side of the main building. The pool area is closed due to construction. The entrance is a mud bath when it rains. It would have been nice to know about the construction prior to making my reservation. The area was nice, but they really need to improve things at this KOA.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank pinneyman
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Extremely disappointed. We were not informed that construction is everywhere, and nothing is up and running. We were charged full price anyway. Wi-Fi is terrible, there is no pool, ( under construction,) no tv, water and power went out on us. Many burrs that we had to pick out of our dogs every day. The Cape Hatteras camp next door had lakes, cement pads, indoor and outdoor pool, hot tub, ocean front pavilion, and no contusion dust! I wish I had reserved there! Don't trust the website!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Barb R
Reviewed 22 October 2012

The Mrs. and I packed up the VW and headed for KOA Cape Hatteras. We were greeted with smiling faces, happy neighbors, and wonderful weather. Our deluxe cabin, The Lighthouse #1201 was exactly what I was looking for on my first trip to a campground. All linens needed. Full bath with towels, hair dryer, and body wash and shampoo dispensers (awesome touch). The fridge was a 3ft tall model that was good for us for the 3 days we were there. Microwave and coffee maker included as was a full size grill with propane and utensils (!) included. I have never camped a day in my 30 years of life, this is just what I wanted. We drove 20 minutes south to Avon to get groceries at Food Lion. $100 for 3 days of meals for 2 people, no need to eat out, awesome. All meals were on the grill. Eggs cooked in small foil containers, bacon on the grate and bread on the upper warmer made for the best breakfast sandwiches. Lunches were sandwiches and grilled vegetables. Dinner was grilled chicken one night, burgers another, and the last night was pizza. We even did smores which turned out pretty good.

Our cabin was warm at nights, open the windows and hear the ocean and let the breeze in in the days. The TV in the cabin was a nice touch, although, I'm at the beach, I don't need to watch it like I'm at home. (I put the hit or miss WIFI in this catagory as well) The bed was so-so comfort wise. It was queen size, which is acceptable. We walked the over the dunes to the ocean, and up and down the shore daily to see the people fishing. The grounds were quiet. Pool was crazy big and clean. We had neighbors a few spots down that were quite friendly and everyone sitting outside their campers, busses, tents etc etc were all very cordial. The staff on the grounds in golf carts were very helpful and nice as well. We walked the grounds and through the public bath houses just to see what they were like. Very nice tile work and showers. I was very surprised.

A great place to recharge for a few days, just relaxing and do nothing. Sit on the porch of the cabin, read, listen to music, listen to the ocean. I paid the same price as I would for a hotel, but feel like I got a way better experience. I signed up as a KOA member as I can see us going back again.

Thanks to everyone, and we will see you in the spring!

Room Tip: Our cabin was in the front left corner of the grounds. Far away from the check in building and pool...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blondeshady2001
Reviewed 10 October 2012

WE love Hatteras KOA and won't stay elsewhere! Yes there is SAND when you are parked right next to the beach! Yes there are bugs...yes the WIFI can be spotty - you are on a SANDBAR! The people go out of their way to help with emergencies, and they always greet you warmly. The prices are reasonable, the campground constantly being updated, it is conveniently located to supplies and amenities and above all it's CLEAN and SAFE! OBX is our favorite place to vacation, mostly because of Cape Hatteras KOA and the welcome we always receive there! We come to the beach to be beach bums and Hatteras KOA supports this endeavor to the fullest!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lani S
Reviewed 28 September 2012

It is so funny to me to read complaints about cable and Wifi! When I go on vacation, especially to the beach, I go to get away from these things! Maybe because I didn't have these things as a child and I don't influence my child to rely/depend on these things. I influence him to go outside, play and use his imagination! My family and I have been camping here for well over 20 years. I have had a few bumps camping of course , but never a bad experience at Cape Hatteras KOA. We are always made to feel so special by the staff. Yes, Hurricane Irene totaled the place and these guys have accomplished so much in 9 months, its amazing the even have cable! The new pool, bath houses, etc...Of course there is going to be construction...pretty much the entire place was swept away by 6-8 feet of water! I visit this campground 4-6 times a year and would never think to spend my summers anywhere else, not because of all the great amenities, but because of the staff. Thank you Jackie, Bear, F.D., Pat, Renee, Chris and everyone else for always making our visits something to remember!

See you again next year!
Christine, Walt, and Trey

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank christine e
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This was our 3rd year in a row visiting Cape Hatteras KOA. We have always enjoyed it for it's location and free amenities. I will say that this visit wasn't as fun as other visits but to be fair it did rain 5 out of 6 days we were there. This year we stayed in one of the new lodges and the accommodations were very nice for a campground. It was very clean and had a kitchen with a small stove top, microwave, refrigerator and sink. This was great for us since we were traveling with 3 children. It really allows us to save money on food. Our unit was up front across from the mini golf and bounce cushion, which was convenient for allowing the kids to play while we sat and watched them from the deck of our lodge. However, it was a bit of a walk to the beach with all of our beach gear. The showers have been remodeled which are very nice and the pool has been completely redone. Thankfully they kept the slides which the kids LOVE. The pool is super! But the hot tub is gone and we missed that greatly. Because they are still in the midst of reconstruction there was a lot of things missing that we have enjoyed years past......No game room, no gift shop, the pizza shop was only open two days we were there and there were construction trucks working on the area right next to the pool the few days we could swim. Not very relaxing I'm afraid. The wifi didn't work most of the time we were there so the kids couldn't even play on their laptops on the rainy days. The entire property has been changed and all of the cabins are now all together and the lodges are in weird spaces. I'd think they'd be better positioned closer to the beach since they are on stilts. Overall, the rain really was the main culprit of our dissatisfaction but having the game room, pizza shop and gift shop would have really helped fill our time. Not sure if we will return again next year. Maybe if the construction is finished.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rodanthe
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
#12 of 13 in Nags Head
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Hatteras KOA? Share your experiences!