“Week after 4th of July” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cape Hatteras KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rodanthe
Cape Hatteras KOA
Randleman, North Carolina
“Week after 4th of July”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed with 2 children and my wife and I and rented a deluxe cabin/lodge. It is my opinion that for the $200 per night we payed that the campground staff would come around and change out towels and washcloths everyday for you as well as take out the trash. We were given an office size trash can to last a family of 4 for 1 week and when I asked about them removing the trash I was asked to carry it to the nearest dumpster, which I did not see one in sight. There was one night we had to reuse dirty towels and washcloths because we got back after the store closed for the night at 9pm. I also advised the staff that our gas grill was leaking from the regulator to which they didn't seem too concerned (2 days passed with no remedy to it). I left it unhooked from the tank so hopefully the next couple or family doesn't explode the grill before it is repaired!! The staff was friendly during encounters but nothing over the top on customer service so I believe from now on I will take my $200 per day and go to a different place in the Outer Banks! OH and the last day it rained and our cabin became soaked with water on the interior floor, at least we were leaving I guess........

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sea Oat cabin #1641
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Ginar911

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Poquoson, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed in the one room cabin for 3 nights over 4th of July break. Campground appeared to be filled to capacity, but the campground and namely the facilities never felt overwhelmed. Never a wait to use the bath house, pool never felt over crowded, and office staff was able to get people in and out.

Pros: Location, newness of facilities, activities for the kids/parents, very quiet at night (I think). Always plenty of ice when we needed it. Staff was friendly.

Cons: Bath houses probably could have used a few more cleanings throughout the day with so many people there. A/C in the cabin was EXTREMELY loud. To the point I had to cut it off for a little while just so the kids could fall asleep. I had the ONLY light in the cabin go out, put in a request to have it changed and it never happened. A friend in another cabin had to take a light they had and climb the bunkbed and change it for me. And the futon mattresses were VERY hard and uncomfortable. I would probably bring a mattress topper of some kind next time.

Overall, we had a great experience. The campground was clean (with the exception of the bathhouse), friendly, and well located.

Room Tip: Make sure you wear flip flops in the showers. Maybe earplugs if you are staying in one of the one ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
Grayson, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

We stayed in a deluxe cabin for 4 days and were very pleased with our time there. Since we went in early June all of the activities they offer were not in full swing, but that didn't damper our good time. This was our first time at a KOA so we weren't sure what to really expect but had such a good time we will stay at a KOA again.

What we really liked was the location the campground is located between the sound and the ocean, the HUGE pool, and the wrap around deck on our cabin. One of the things I wish I had known before hand was the price of some of the activities so I will provide them here. It is $10 to tye dye (but we missed it). We were quoted $35 an hour for a kayak rental. It was too much for us and the sound waves were a little too choppy anyways. The internet (as reported by others) is almost none existent (and so was our cell phone service), but they have two computers in the main building for guests to use if you really need to get online. Also we found that the nearer we were to the main building the better our phone service was also.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank travelingfamilyof4
Hampton Roads
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

We’ve been coming to the Hatteras KOA a couple times a year since 2007. The main reason we are KOA members. We're very disappointed in our last trip on Memorial Day weekend. We had site 205 and the occupant next to us in site 204 did not center his trailer over the parking pad. He was off about two feet on my side, trailer wheels on the grass with a large slide that stuck further into our site. I informed the front office and clearly stated it was just for the record and that I wasn’t requesting my neighbor to move and were accepting the tight quarters. Next thing we know is a KOA attendant came out looked at our sites and said he was ok and that I had more room to move over into site 206. I have a 34 ft trailer with two slides with the wheels already on the edge of the parking pad and the power panel was already sitting between my slides. I argued my position and the attendant kept to his that included a comment that he use to work at another KOA that was so tight between sites you couldn’t open your canopy. Obviously, this does not justify the current situation. We are extremely disappointed how KOA handled this. In the past, the attendants have always guided campers to their site with help parking, but not on Friday night when we arrived. I presume this is the root of the problem. Guiding campers ensures people park their RVs within their site boundaries. The KOA sent us an email to rate our stay. I replied with the review you just read hoping they would send a followup response since we were repeat customers, but nothing. We will not be staying here again nor will it be recommend. I’m dropping my KOA membership and going to Good Sams. Signed Unhappy Campers

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank zeugmatic
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

This was, by far, the nicest campground I've ever been to. We had a tent site right across from the bathhouse. I really liked the family shower/restroom as it made showering with a toddler much easier. The walk-in pool is wonderful since small children can sit in the shallow end and play in the water. We had one breakfast at the cafe, and it was a good value and so convenient. The laundry facilities are nice and only cost $1.75/load. The location was perfect for us as we ventured north to Corolla one day and south to Ocracoke another day. The sites are a quick walk to the beach. We went out at dark one night to chase the ghost crabs in the sand. We had a blast and can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Trista E
Uhrichsville, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

The campground is located right behind the dunes. It is flat with no shade. Some sites have small wooden pavilions for the picnic table and some have wooden swings. The facilities are brand new. The club house is beautiful, the pool is awesome and the bathhouses are the nicest of any campground we have stayed in.
We chose an "oceanfront" lot which was actually a longer walk to the ocean walkways than if we had spent a little less money and stayed a couple rows away from the dunes.
When we checked in we were told that the wireless did not always work and were told it was the fault of the wireless provider. We did not have wireless for any of the 5 days were were there.
This is a perfect location for a family wanting a beach vacation in a kid friendly campground.

Room Tip: The extra money that you would pay to stay next to the dunes is absolutely not worth it unless you a...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank papadeedee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Camping in the OBX is the way to go and KOA made it fun! The location was great, close to the beach and surrounded by restaurants and shops! The beach area was clean and not crowded at all! The facilities and camping areas were clean; staff was friendly and helpful; only bummer was the vacuum was missing! I will definitely will back to stay here.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Jeana218
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rodanthe
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Hatteras KOA? Share your experiences!