“Not a fun place for kids!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cape Hatteras KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rodanthe
Cape Hatteras KOA
Richmond, Virginia
“Not a fun place for kids!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed for 3 nights at deluxe cabin with ocean view (1201).

Pros:
-Close to beach on both sides, Atlantic Ocean and Sound
-Playground and Pool on site

Cons:
-There was a gas leaking from Gas Grill and no actions were taken until I left. I used my portable gas grill instead.
-No coffee refill bags at the main building for in-room coffee machine, so without coffee during my stay.
-Useless wireless internet.
-No train or other scheduled activities for kids. My kids were very disappointed. The main reason why I picked KOA was kids friendly activities but actually this site is dangerous because too many camping cars come and go.

I think KOA deluxe cabin is not worth of paying $200 per night. Well, on top of that, there is an extra charge for more than two people because all cabin fee is based on two adults. So I had to pay extra for my two kids for a room with one queen and bunk beds. Another interesting thing is you have to bring your towels to replace, so don't expect daily room cleaning.

Room Tip: Ocean view deluxe cabin is actually the best but pick 1202 instead of 1201. 1201 gas grill is old an...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Yong-Duck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Tyro, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

The newly renovated campground was nice. We had the back corner camping space and it was nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. A camp store is on sight but prices are double that of the True Value just a few miles down the road to the South. The pool with zero entry was nice for my four year old. The bouncy pillow and pirate ship playground was also very well received by him. A walk across the street to the sound is also KOA property. It was nice to be able to let the dog and boy play together in the calm, shallow sound water. There is a great restaurant across the street as well as a walk-up Dairy Queen. I peeked into the bathhouse to check it out. It was a a group of separate fully contained rooms. So you had a "private" sink, toilet and shower all in one room. There were several of these in the building I checked out. There is also a fenced in dog park area that had a dog obstacle course. Overall, a nice place to camp. We will be going back for a hopefully equally enjoyable visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Cordova, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

My family of 5 just returned! We had a blast! Koa was great, as we stayed in the deluxe cabin. At first, I was a bit concerned because we were near the main entrance on the corner, but it worked out great, not to mention beauitful views of the sound! We used the pool, cafe, arcade, store and playground. My little one (2.5) and my 10 yr old wanted to jump on the bouncer but it was always filled with teenagers. It wasn't the worst thing but they really wanted to use. Very clean. Loved everything in the cabin! One suggestion, remember to take extra trash bags. For a family of 5, we went through 3 bags of trash. We had to find the nearest trash disposal, maybe they could tell you that Upon checkin. Everyday, we picked a different beach that you were able to take your vehicle on. It was so much easier with the kids, hauling all the beach stuff. We would drive on the beach, find a spot and then unload. Bought a little charcoal grill and cooked out lunch (hotdogs), kids loved that!! Then you can rinse everything off and put everything back in the truck for next time. We are already planning to return next year!

Levittown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We brought our travel trailer and family of five for a five day stay July 28th. The campground, bath houses, and pool areas were very clean. They had adequate laundry facilities. Our site was maybe 100 yards to beach. The beach was beautiful and clean. Not crowded at all. No lifeguards in this area. The pool and hot tub were nice. The jumping balloon was always occupied by older teens so my little kids were disappointed I wouldn't let them join in. There were no rowdy crowds and it was a very pet-friendly campground. I loved seeing the dogs on the beach. And campfires on the beach at night! Would definitely stay here again. The staff were mostly friendly except one older lady at checkin. Mike, the manager, was very helpful at straightening out a small problem we had and his pleasant attitude more than made up for the grump. Will be back!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Havertown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We arrived and the check in was a breeze. We stayed in suite 303 in the main building. Everything was new and clean. The sliding doors to the balcony hve built in blinds and the blinds were broken in both doors and were not repairable. In the night we had to pull down the hurricane shutters for privacy and to block the light. It was annoying but i refused to allow it to ruin my time here. The only other complaint was on our 2nd night. There was a couple who had a huge fight and the police had to be called. I felt like i was in a college dorm. The rooms are sound proof. I never heard my neighbors. The windows block out majority of the exterior noises. The pool is awesome and the jumping pillow was loved by all, adults and kids. The activities were fun. The cafe was appreciated. Being on the beach was a huge plus. The sunsets are awesome. Highly recommend it even with my few complaints. It is camping after all.

Room Tip: If u hve kids and want to be able to watch them while u chill stay in one of the suites. The pool is...
Apex, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

This KOA is a real gem, but lacks the attention to detail in its day to day operation. On the positive side, the owners have great vision in building fantastic facilities such as the awesome pool, bouncy pillow, modern baths, and main building. The ocean access is excellent and the sound is right there as well. OBX is a world class destination and this KOA has the potential to match that. Everyone on staff was polite and helpfull. Kids and family all had a great time.

The negative issues. 1) We arrived on Saturday July 13th and most of the sites had grass (really what was high were the weeds as the summer grass only grows low to ground) that was a foot high; this despite about 1/4 of the sites being empty and maybe 1/5 of the sites changing over each day. Three days later a worker finally came around with a ride on mower. I waived him over and he did his best to cut around my site. 2). Despite very nice and relatively new baths, the floors were always filthy. This is partly a design flaw in that the floors never really dry, but also that the baths need more attention. It would take all of five minutes to dry mop a bath and they would look great.

Not so much negatives, but a few recommendations in case management is reading this. Hire more staff for your peak season. Don't make excuses that you can't, you can. Bring in teans for summer if you need to. Put in 2 more foot showers at each beach entrance as that is what everyone is waiting for and there is only one. Put up a sign that fireworks are illegal according to county or nps or whomever. And yes, thank you to the idiot who launched very loud fireworks right over camp at 11 pm. Have workers walk camp every day, sweep stones off pavement and pick up trash...i picked up enough trash that i should have been on the payroll. Again, a few more staff and attention and this place has the potential to be as nice a campground as you will find. btw... the wireless worked very poorly, but who cares, I should be surfing the waves, not the web.

And yes, we will come back...

3 Thank Twh371
Greenwood, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

Campground
I camped in a bare-bones tent site for three nights over the Fourth of July with my two teenage brothers, my fiance, and my two dogs. Our site was 633, which was the first row of tents behind the deluxe cabins. We were able to put two 4-person tents on our site with a little room to spare. Our site was clean and level. We had a picnic table and a fire ring, and parked our car on the site as well. There weren't any lines to divide the campsites, so we had to just assume we weren't taking up other people's space. We arrived late, and our name was missing from the late-arrivals list, but our welcome packet was in the mailbox. We found our site easily, and although the info packet said we needed to register in the main building before 10AM the next morning, we didn't register until about 1 PM, and they didn't have a problem. The campground was completely booked for the weekend, but there were a few empty spots around our tent the whole time we were there. We were lucky to get good neighbors who adhered to the quiet hours, which are 10 PM - 8 AM. There were some louder, partying people in the RV areas closer to the beach. We were really close to the main house bathrooms, and bathrooms/showers in the center. The bathrooms in the main house were wonderful. I was worried the seats would be wet because it was close to the pool, but they were always dry and it was very clean. The bathrooms in the center were not so nice, however. They weren't horrible, but they were kind of dirty/sandy and wet. The "hallway of showers," as we referred to it, was VERY NICE to have, though never very clean. We dealt with that easily, though, because we were just so happy to have showers with warm water. The camp store didn't have hot dog/marshmallow rods, or aluminum foil, but did have some $5 Pam cooking spray. The Liberty gas station down the road had everything you would ever need, though, so we were set.

Dogs
This was our first time staying at a KOA, and we were sold once we realized there was a Kamp K-9 dog park. We took our dogs there several times, but there were never any dogs there. It was very small and pretty full of other dogs. There was a nice, open area past our row of tents where we walked the dogs a lot. And across the road, at the sound, there's a big, open, empty spot with a new pier that's amazing, where we had breakfast on the second morning. Though we weren't supposed to, we let the dogs off-leash to run around in the sound. Another dog came over to join them, and they had a great time. Everyone at the KOA kept their pets on the leash the whole time, and all the dogs seemed really nice and happy and well taken care of.

Beaches
The beach was nice. It was kind of shelly. We went up to Kitty Hawk on the first full day we were there. The beach was dirty and FILLED with people. We went to Avon the next day, where people could drive on the beach. The sand was as hot as I've ever felt it, but the beach was amazing and the water was crystal clear blue for at least two hundred feet out. Out of those three beaches, I'd rate them Kitty Hawk - 4, Rodanthe - 6, Avon - 9 (one point off for hot, hot sand).

All-in-all, we had a nice experience. I think we'd go back during an off-season, but never mid-summer. It was just WAY too hot for us to be comfortable there at this time of year.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leigh W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rodanthe
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Cape Pines Motel
Cape Pines Motel
#2 of 6 in Buxton
Fin 'N Feather Waterside Inn

Been to Cape Hatteras KOA? Share your experiences!