“Would love to go back!!”
Review of Cape Hatteras KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rodanthe
Cape Hatteras KOA
Halifax, Canada
“Would love to go back!!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Pros: Location, Price, Pool/Hot tub, Washrooms

Cons: Spaces are small and open

Its unfair to compare this campground to many of the others I've been to - but I am. Seeing that it sits on the outer banks, surrounded by beach and shore line, and not situated in the woods some place inland makes rating this campground difficult since those are my only comparisons.

To start off with the grounds are great. There isn't much in the way of trees like you would expect for a campground, but you have to remember where you are - and that threw me off a bit. The spaces are clean but a bit tight. I'm sure land prices aren't cheap in the area, so that likely is reflected in the amount of spots they try and make available.

We were tent camping, and seeing it was October there weren't too many of us. Each site has a firepit and a covered picnic table area. Be prepared for high winds. You'll want good tent stakes to keep you anchored. The campground is on the beach, so that breeze comes strong off the shore. We weren't able to make it down to the beach area (we were just passing through and needed a place for the night) so I can't comment on the beach at all.

The facilities at this campground are awesome. Beautiful pool (with several waterslides) and a nice warm hot tub. Both were open late which were awesome. Having the breeze makes sitting in the hot tub at night more bearable for someone like myself. The washrooms are awesome. Super modern and clean. The showers are amazing and you have a ton of privacy.

I would love to go back to this campground to really see what they offer. Having only passed through a night I know we didn't fully take in what they offer. They have a playground for kids and a beach we didn't even visit, lol. I've heard its hit or miss as far as KOA's are concerned, and this one is a "Hit" for sure!!

If you liked this review please let me know by hitting the "helpful" button at the end. Thanks and enjoy your trip!!

Room Tip: We stayed at the campground - not sure why this is listed as a hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Baltzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of June. It was clean and staff was friendly. Nice pool with slides. We wish there were lifeguards on duty and umbrellas on the tables. Seemed a little pricey but we had a good time. We rented bikes for the kids which were very rusty. They need to get new ones. The mini golf area was pathetic and full of weeds. They discounted to $1 which seemed about the right price for the course. We would likely go back. Everything was clean and that's most important to us!!

• Stayed June 2014
Lewisburg, Ohio
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Clean restrooms, tie dye t-shirts, nice pool, individual showers and bathrooms, refund due to hurricane no questions asked, great site with shelter. Easy access to water sports and restaurants. All around five star experience. Would recommend campground to others.

Stayed July 2014
Strasburg, Virginia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We began staying at KOA Hatteras when our children were small. They are now 29 and 24! We have always enjoyed our camping there, even back in the small tent days. Nowadays, my wife and I often go by ourselves, and I have even just come back from spending 4 glorious days there myself. These days, we rent a small cabin, and we love it. Our own little porch for sitting and swinging, a fire pit and a picnic table to use, short treks to the bathhouses, all make for a very enjoyable stay for us! The stretch of beach is beautiful there, and if you want, you can even travel north of Rodanthe a few miles and check out the Pea Island beaches! It's just beautiful.
The only complaint I may have would be that the internet service there is often sketchy. It's important to me, as I often need to stay connected to work to be able to take a vacation like that. They seem to try, but I think they need to just find a new provider.

Room Tip: Platform beds with a decent mattress, but they are vinyl covered. I found taking along an inexpensiv...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I'd have thought that this park would have had some shady sites for the hefty price. They have everything else so don't let this put you off if it's not hot weather as it's in a great spot and the facilities are good.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My boyfriend and I were lucky enough to have booked this campground during our stay in Cape Hatteras. This campground is just beautiful. The grounds are almost flawless. Very clean well kept. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Check in went very smooth, and we found our tenting site quickly and set up. We were staying here in October so there were very few tenters at this time so we practically had the place to ourselves.

The pool area was great, and open very late. The hot tub was very relaxing after a long day of driving. The pool was a very good size, with two water slides. Again, this area was just as nice as the rest. Very clean and welcoming.

The campground offers free wifi which worked great from our campsite! This campground is actually right next to the beach which is beautiful, however can become very windy and cool off quickly. But the view is great and campground itself is fabulous so how can you complain!

The bathrooms at this campground blew me away!! They were spotless and brand new! You can really tell that they take extra pride in the cleanliness because they were perfect! It's extra nice that the showers are across from the bathrooms. There are several of them, and they are each in their own locked separate room. It was very nice to be able just to lock the door and be in there yourself!

This is a beautiful campground and I would always recommend it to anyone in this area! :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank novascotiacubalover
Deep Run, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed at the Cape Hatteras KOA from May 15 - May 22, 2014. The first thing we noticed was how clean and manicured the grounds were at the KOA which was a welcoming sight. The check-in process was smooth and they even assisted us with choosing a new campsite when our first site wasn't compatible for our camper (our electrical cords weren't long enough to reach the plugs without putting the camper on uneven ground). We eventually settled into spot #228- halfway between the club house and the beach and an equal distance from 2 bathhouses. We picked this week to come because it was before the crowds would hit for Memorial Day and we timed it perfectly- the campground was steady all week but never too crowded. The spots closest to the beach stayed full the entire stay and my husband even mentioned that if we were to come again he would want to be closer to the beach as well because he comes to surf fish but still our spot was in a nice location. We chose the KOA because of their advertised activities for kids on their website- tie die tshirts, the kiddie train, beach campfires, and other social events and I even spoke to a man named Gary over the phone twice before arriving and again when we checked in about the planned activities and never once was the impression given that they would not be doing these things (Gary even specifically said they would be going on but that a schedule hadn't been made for the weekend yet) however after a few days at the KOA we finally asked a young employee about the train and tie-dye shirts and he said that they wouldn't start til atleast Memorial Day or when the young summer help arrives to put the activities on. We specifically picked the KOA after hearing from other people/reading on their website about the activities they do for kids and to find out mid-stay that nothing would be going on was a bit of a bummer and we could have stayed at other campgrounds for much less. With that being said the one thing I was very impressed with was the amount of bathrooms/showers on location and the cleanliness of them. Sure there was some sandy floors at times in between cleanings but I saw the cleaning staff nearly every day that I was at the KOA and they did a fantastic job. My husband was pleased to see a clean fish-cleaning table available for use and there was another sink near it which we were guessing was the dish washing station but we never used it. There is a nice spot as you exit the beach ramp to wash off excess sand and a dog area next to the beach ramp (noticed several campers NOT cleaning up after their dogs...would hate to be the camper at the site nearest that because when the wind blew just right it did have a stench at times).

Two small things that I noticed that would be nice improvements are:
1) People are instructed to leave their trash by their campsites between 10 & 12am for pickup however several leave it out the night before and come 5:30am the "Laughing Gulls" come out squawking in full force. We were woken up every day by these LOUD birds because nearby campers had trash left out and I saw a few bags pecked open. It would be a nice addition to add trash cans along the main drag for bags to be placed in- they could be emptied regularly and would like nicer than bags sitting along the strip and would deter these pesky birds from flocking the area.

2) The sand in the area around the bouncy pillow is FULL of sharp objects- shells, remnants of who knows what, even saw a small broken piece of bottle. I nearly cut my foot on the glass but as I stepped down I caught myself before it could do any damage. Some fresh, soft, clean sand would be ideal in this area as it is posted on the bouncy area that no shoes are allowed. I would hate for a child to cut their foot on something in the sand. At the very least the area could be raked regularly to remove some of the big stuff because I watched kids run wild through the area and I cringed at the thought of them getting hurt.

Overall we were pleased with our stay- the main staff member we spoke with was "Tom" who was riding the golf cart. He was friendly, offered to help several times as we set up our campsite, he delivered our firewood, and was just an all-around great guy to see around the KOA for the week we were there. We would likely stay again but it would be nice to see them offer the activities even in the "down" times as there were a great deal of kids there when we were that would have loved the activities.

Room Tip: Sites near the beach fill up fast If you don't have a restroom in your camper make sure to req...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Amanda W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rodanthe
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
#10 of 13 in Nags Head
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Hatteras KOA? Share your experiences!