“Still to many cabins”
Review of Cape Hatteras KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rodanthe
Cape Hatteras KOA
Reviewed 4 August 2014

If you are a camper, try to get a site away from the cabins if possible. Sites are small and over priced, we stayed here before the renovations, but went to check it out this year now that they changed it up, but they put even more cabins in. Last time we there we were directly across from a cabin that had about 20 people coming and going all day walking through our site and every other one that was in their way, even after saying something to the kids, parents and staff this continued to be a problem. Staff made a token attempt to figure out why there were so many cars at this cabin but never did do anything about it. Cabin occupants just don't respect the regular camp sites most of the time.

I would assume the newer bathrooms are nicer now, they look a little better on the outside, but they were not well kept when I was there and with the increased number of cabins I can only imagine they are worse if not cleaned regularly. The new office/store is nicer and well stocked. The pool and activities are a bright spot here, but appeared very crowded at times. For the cost I'd expect better. Like most KOA's these days they seem to be focusing on the cabins and not the RV's even the premium sites with pads and nicer tables were not very nice.

1  Thank AAAMZ
There are newer reviews for Cape Hatteras KOA

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We recently stayed at the koa with our Motor Home. we had made reservations months ago. They brought us to a terrible sit all gravel with rut and weeds near the tenting crowd with unending barking dogs. Two pit bulls in a tent unattended. Six others had also complained. They moved us to supposedly the only available spot. The dog toilet next to the dumpster and rusty fence with no picnic table, not that we would want to sit outside with all the fecal matter and flies. So we moved back to the first site with dog feces stuck in our tires. so much for accommodating the clientele. ITS WAS LIKE A PARKING LOT! No trees, although the two parks are either side had trees. The children ran wild everywhere. the hot tube was used as a kiddie pool and not hot. No life guards to enforce the rules. Boys playing with regular foot ball. throwing them wildly in and out of the pool with parents with small children behind them. Girls screaming in the cafe wifi room like wild animals. I can't understand why they are the only campground we have ever been that doesn't have full site wifi service especially after it was just rebuilt after the hurricanes destroyed the campground. They club house was nice and the pool. but the kids were abominable. Next year we are going elsewhere. employees were rude and uncaring unhelpful except one Katherine. She was nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gabriela B
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The location of this KOA is awesome. Literally on the beach. Clean Facilities. Our friends stayed in the suites (don't own a RV) beautiful but pricey. My biggest gripes were that the wifi anywhere but the main building would see good signal but never go to WWW. Staff claimed it is Internet Providers fault but I disagree or they wouldn't have had any in main building. Said happened after Arthur but obviously didn't have right troubleshooter. For the price WiFi should be absolute. Very poor drainage after rains as well.

1  Thank Jabrjaws
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Staying here for our Outer Banks vacation set the tone for our week. The location is great - more or less in the middle of OBX. We had site 320, a pull-thru site. Not very big, but easy to get into. The sites with the covered picnic tables and concrete pads looked very nice. The bathhouses are awesome, a complete private bathroom with sink, toilet, shower, plus lots of hooks to hang stuff. A laundry room in each bathhouse. Beach access via boardwalk through the dunes is awesome - so close to the beach! The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There are lots of things for kids: pool, mini-golf, 2 jump pads, water balloon launcher, playground. The camp store was well-stocked. This area in general seems very family-oriented; not a lot of big party groups.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived 10 days after Hurricane Arthur. They were still in repair mode on some things, especially the camping cabins, but it did not affect our stay one bit. We reserved a Deluxe Sky Lodge. My parents and sister's family also rented ones this week. I saw the lodge with the ocean view, pool/playground view, and we were in the sound view side. ALL of them were nice. Our family of six enjoyed every minute of our vacation. We were there 4 nights, and could have stayed longer. Our lodge had a stove top, full frig, microwave, pots, dinnerware, and coffee pot. It slept 8. The pull out couch has an inflatable mattress, which our 10 year old twins slept on. By morning it had lost a lot of air. And my husband did not think the main bed mattress was all that comfortable, but it did not ruin our time. If you are picky about those things, it may bother you. I was just impressed with the staff...all those employees in yellow try their best to make your stay welcome. They were/are working so hard to get the campground up to full running order. My hats are off to them, because sometimes tourists are not easily pleased. We used their pool, laundry room, bouncy "thing", and loved the access to the beach and sound. We were here 4 years ago, before they turned it into a KOA resort. We loved it then, but love it even more now. We can't go every year because of price, but would do it if money were no object! Highly recommend.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Pros: Location, Price, Pool/Hot tub, Washrooms

Cons: Spaces are small and open

Its unfair to compare this campground to many of the others I've been to - but I am. Seeing that it sits on the outer banks, surrounded by beach and shore line, and not situated in the woods some place inland makes rating this campground difficult since those are my only comparisons.

To start off with the grounds are great. There isn't much in the way of trees like you would expect for a campground, but you have to remember where you are - and that threw me off a bit. The spaces are clean but a bit tight. I'm sure land prices aren't cheap in the area, so that likely is reflected in the amount of spots they try and make available.

We were tent camping, and seeing it was October there weren't too many of us. Each site has a firepit and a covered picnic table area. Be prepared for high winds. You'll want good tent stakes to keep you anchored. The campground is on the beach, so that breeze comes strong off the shore. We weren't able to make it down to the beach area (we were just passing through and needed a place for the night) so I can't comment on the beach at all.

The facilities at this campground are awesome. Beautiful pool (with several waterslides) and a nice warm hot tub. Both were open late which were awesome. Having the breeze makes sitting in the hot tub at night more bearable for someone like myself. The washrooms are awesome. Super modern and clean. The showers are amazing and you have a ton of privacy.

I would love to go back to this campground to really see what they offer. Having only passed through a night I know we didn't fully take in what they offer. They have a playground for kids and a beach we didn't even visit, lol. I've heard its hit or miss as far as KOA's are concerned, and this one is a "Hit" for sure!!

If you liked this review please let me know by hitting the "helpful" button at the end. Thanks and enjoy your trip!!

Room Tip: We stayed at the campground - not sure why this is listed as a hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Baltzer
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of June. It was clean and staff was friendly. Nice pool with slides. We wish there were lifeguards on duty and umbrellas on the tables. Seemed a little pricey but we had a good time. We rented bikes for the kids which were very rusty. They need to get new ones. The mini golf area was pathetic and full of weeds. They discounted to $1 which seemed about the right price for the course. We would likely go back. Everything was clean and that's most important to us!!

• Stayed: June 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rodanthe
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
#11 of 13 in Nags Head
Cape Hatteras Motel
Cape Hatteras Motel
#4 of 6 in Buxton

Been to Cape Hatteras KOA? Share your experiences!