“Average hostel with below average guests.”

Huxiangyi International Youth Hostel(Changsha)
Loudi, China
“Average hostel with below average guests.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at this hostel as a last minute measure, having been forced to make an impromptu visit to Changsha. Firstly, the location of the hostel is less than ideal, especially if you are hoping to enjoy some of the nightlife in the centre of the city.

Secondly, I was very disappointed to be told by the staff that there were no lockers to store my belongings. Having travelled in China for almost a month this was the first hostel I encountered which did not offer this most basic of services. Apparently the lockers in the room were only available to those who brought their own padlock. The staff were kind enough to offer me the less-than-practical solution of storing my belongings behind the front desk. This would have resulted in the tedious task of having to ask for my bag every time I wanted to change clothes or retrieve any of my other personal effects at short notice.

As for the room itself, my main gripe was with my fellow travellers not the standard or cleanliness of the sleeping quarters. I entered the room to be confronted by a blast of heat that could only be described as sauna-like. I don't know if it is hotel policy to have the heating turned to full or if this was under the control of the other guests, I suspect the latter. While the bed was about average for Chinese hostels, the temperature (and the musty smell it caused) led to a thoroughly uncomfortable night's sleep. I must add that this was made even more uncomfortable by the gentleman in the opposite bed who was openly displaying his genitalia whilst lying awake in bed. Unfortunately I don't know how to say "can you put your cock away?" in Mandarin.

The toilets and showers are also about average for a Chinese hostel. A sign on the wall indicated that the hostel has a Western toilet but I only encountered squat-toilets (often having not been flushed) in my brief stay.

Having had an overwhelmingly positive experience of hostels in my few weeks of travelling prior to this, I had been looking forward to spending a few days in Changsha. However, after an experience which could be at best be described as underwhelming, at worst unpleasant, I decided to cut short my stay.

My advice: potential guests would be better off finding lodgings near the centre because this place certainly isn't worth travelling the extra distance.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Business
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

The location of the place is just so so. Quite a cab ride to the center. The atmosphere is friendly and the staff is also nice but the rooms are so so (typical very hard Chinese beds) and the hygiene as well. The small backyard was the most pleasant feature of the place. We had some fun evenings there. But there is just a small/messy kitchen and it would be nice if any breakfast/beverages would be provided there. That is missing. All in all average hostel but staff is friendly!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ilovetotravel649
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple of nights after our teaching placements had finished, before we headed back to Beijing. If you know the bus routes, which we did, there was a bus stop right outside on the main road which takes you straight into the city and right onto Bùxíngjiē. The rooms are basic but has all you need to sleep in. The toilets were squatters and did smell, but almost all toilets in China are the same. The staff spoke English and were helpful and friendly. Though it was clear that it was mainly a youth hostel for Chinese youths!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dendells
Ludlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We stayed at the Changsha hostel for 2 nights, originally we were just bypassing for one night and then heading onwards to Shanghai but we were unable to get train tickets. The hostel at first came across unhelpful as the girl at the front desk couldn't speak enough English to help us locating a train ticket booking office, or the train station, as we arrived by  bus rather than train. Usually international hostels in China have information written in English somewhere and that's what makes them so useful compared to staying in a budget Chinese hotel, there's very little information about things to see, buses, transport etc. here, although this is Changsha and has less foreign tourists. Later in the day while in the lobby another staff member who could speak a little English understood what we wanted and very helpfully walked with us to a train ticket booking office, only a 5 min walk away, as the trains were all booked he then helped us in buying flights online! Very helpful and we had our transport issues sorted out very quickly! We didn't use many facilities of the hostel but I noticed computers were free to use and there was an outside garden area. Our room was pretty standard, a twin room with ensuite, beds were a little hard and bathroom had a bad smell, although there was WIFI in the room. The hostel is a bit far out from the downtown area but there are a number of buses close by. Overall for 2 nights it was fine for what we needed and the extra help with transport was a bonus.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
South Pole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

The hostel is totally adequate and has much better facilities and decor than downtown YHA at Taiping Jie. The only problem is the location: trapped between some old rail tracks and the sprawling Martyrs Park, it''s a 15-20 minute walk along Dongfeng Lu to get to the nearest east-west cross-section from where you can zigzag downtown. That said, the hostel is practically next door to the best museum in the city – Hunan Provincial Museum – and the above-mentioned green park. Also, Hunan-style restaurant Dawanchu two blocks down is highly rated and is, indeed, delicious. One night there was water shortage in the hostel (citywide, we were told) due to the subway construction. Common bathrooms downstairs had emergency water supply that wasn't suitable for showering. This, plus the desire to be in the center of action made us move downtown after two nights.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Chongqing, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

We arrived at the youth hostel at 2am (we had stated 12am but our train was delayed). We were turned away from the hostel with nowhere to stay in a strange city. My girlfriend is pregnant but this has no bearing and they refused us entry. I would not advise anyone to stay here. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple