“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #19 of 1,410 Hotels in Changsha
IA
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

The staff was excellent and attended to our every need in a timely and efficient matter. No need was too trivial or small. One great example was our need for a phone card while staying in the hotel. We had no clue where to go and are English speakers. We requested that someone from the hotel purchase it, and we were wiling to tip for their service. We requested to have it by 8pm in the evening. A half an hour later, we received a knock at our door.

Not only was the staff attentive, they were polite and pleasant to deal with. Many people have commented on the smokiness of the air. Yes, there is smoking going on in the hotel, however you are traveling in China, and if you are going to travel to China get used to people smoking, period. There are not non smoking laws in public buildings. People in China do not interpret this in the same manner as the Western world. Yes, it is annoying however should not stop someone from staying in this gorgeous hotel. Our room did not smell at all of smoke and had a beautiful bathroom, comfortable bedding, and a nice atmosphere.

In additon, if you are tired from traveling the hotel has a delicious buffet and the bar served food to me one evening when there was nothing available. My timeclock was off, and they were more than willing to get me whatever I wanted. Also, look for the Whako Mart a couple of blocks down. There are plenty of snacks and and simple necessities.

The bottom line, stay in this beautiful hotel and your every need will be met and more.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adpttravel

• Chinese (Traditional) first
California
Reviewed 21 August 2008

This hotel has the most impressive lobby! It also has a choice of restaurants for the traveller. The beds are hard in China, so be aware of that. Also, we stayed on the 19th floor, but we could clearly hear all the street noise below our window, so it's not well insulated. Our room had an odd smell that concerned me. I was afraid of mold. The worst part was all the smoking all over the hotel, even in the elevators.
It was close to many amenities, but the hotel itself wasn't the best.

Stayed February 2003
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 19 May 2008

My wife and I were at the Grand Sun City in Nov. 2003 when we were adopting our daughter.

Let me start with the good to great: the staff is fabulous. Not many could speak English passably (though the front desk had some who were quite good) but everyone was incredibly helpful. They really went the extra mile.

Also very good: the Chinese food restaurant. Seemed authentic, which meant pretty darned spicy. Very good quality. And fabulous breakfast buffet there that included Western and some Chinese foods.

The conference rooms were very nice, and again, the staff was warm and wonderful.

Also of note, the bathrooms we used throughout the facilities (including our room) were totally updated. Beautiful.

Two other things I want to mention: The hotel did a GREAT job decorating for Christmas! Some really outlandish decor in the lobby, including a big rocket, Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower (which looked more like an oil derrick), many toy Santas, tinselly artificial Christmas trees and real poinsettias, and a small Santa house or workshop. Outside the main restaurant was an animatronic Santa that sang "Yellow Rose of Texas" when you got near enough to trigger some sort of sensor. Hilarious!!

I also want to HIGHLY recommend the Whacko Market just a few blocks down the street. Funny name, but very convenient and, most importantly, wonderful staff.

Now for the not-so-great: The hotel rooms in general are very tidy BUT the carpets were somewhat disgusting. They had a damp feel, and smelled musty. Bring slippers. Unless the carpets have been torn out and burned since we left.

For some reason, the room was always crazy warm. When we turned the thermostat down and left the room, we would return to find it had been turned up again! We began to wonder if it was to keep the carpets as dry as possible.

The beds were OK, but not what you would expect in a Western hotel. The sheets were pretty coarse. Do not expect luxury and you will be just fine.

OK, the coup de grace: While my wife and I were dining in the hotel's American-style tavern (food there BTW was passable but not very good. Frozen fries, bland burger) a VERY large rodent ran across the dining room. We looked at each other with jaws dropped ... but never told a soul in our adoption travel group. I guess we felt utterly embarrassed for the staff and our guides (who had raved about the hotel), and just did not want to cause problems when our adoption was not going to be finalized until we reached Guangzhou.

I want to mention that we were the only ones eating there at the time, while the Chinese-style restaurant was always fairly busy. But after more than a week in China, my wife just HAD to have a burger!!!

Stayed November 2003
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 20 December 2005

I stayed at this hotel for 6 days in April 2001 when I travelled to China to adopt my daughter. I thought the hotel was very nice. The entire staff was very attentive, even though they spoke very little English. The room was nice and the bed was very comfortable compared to some of the other hotels I stayed at while in China. The business center had up to date computers with easy access to the internet and reasonable rates. The food in the hotel restaurant was very good. The neighboring area had several shops, stores and restaurants within walking distance. If I ever have the opportunity to travel to Changsha again, I would definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2002