See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Recently stayed here one night prior to catching the train to Lhasa. Room was clean and well appointed and it was an easy walk from the hotel across the river to a shopping area including a supermarket. Good range of options for buffet breakfast. Overall a pleasant surprise

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank EasyTraveller650
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We wanted to go and visit Qing Hai Lake and we had to go to Xi Ning first. So I looked through the hotels in Xi Ning and Yinlong would be the best there. I have read some reviews from other people saying how average it is and how poor the service is, but now I have stayed there and I can share my experiences there.

A super busy place it is first of all! Quick check in, nice rooms and very comfortable beds!! My room had a great view of the central park of the city where you see people jogging and exercising etc. The location is unbeatable. Breakfast is catered to more Chinese than western, but they have fried eggs, bread, toast, cereal, fresh fruits..not the best coffee in the world but they have it. A nice gym they have as well.

We ordered pick up by hotel and then also used their car service through out out time there to Qinghai Lake and Taersi Monastery. The driver was very friendly and drove very carefully!!

The staff really don't speak much English. So if you don't speak Chinese you may have some frustration if anything goes wrong, but I speak Chinese so no problem at all.

It is about 200$US per night for a room, a bit expensive!! But that is the best hotel of Xi Ning. I would stay there again if go to Xi ning again.

Room tip: Non smoking rooms, park facing away from the elevators.
Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank HunterBeijing
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I can't complain about the room - great view to the huge park - you can watch all kinds of dancing in the morning. Good bedding, but overall it is a Chinese 4* and the service is more or less non existent since nobody understands a word of English. Which is a PROBLEM if the toilet doesn't work but in the end we managed by pointing at it. a local agency booked for us and we were surprised when they handed us the bill for 2600 rmb which is about 300 Euros which is for what you get a scandal. But it is still the best in Xining, therefore if you want to sleep well you need to put up with certain thing. enough outlets in room yes. the fridge was locked and the girl who came when we pushed roomservice emptied the contents out and left - which was kind of funny. I rang again to order for a snack which I thought was easy since the menue was in English too, but 3 items I chose were 'mayo=not available' - after have an hour a noodle dish arrived and the waiter had already the change for 100 rmb in his hand - he wasn't lucky, I didn't have a 100 and wrote my room number on the bill and sent him off which greatly upset him - if looks could kill. BUT in the morning at checkout - there was the bill all of a sudden. Breakfast with a lot of choices but mostly chinese since I guess most guests are chinese at least when we were there.

Room tip: You can try but they won't understand you : park view
Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I should preface my remarks by saying 'when in Rome'. The first thing to understand is that this is Xining; its not Shanghai or Beijing. The government has had a policy in place for some years of developing the east coast of China before the western regions. Fair enough; you have to start somewhere.

What makes a hotel 5 star, apart from the property itself, is the level of service. There really isn't any service to speak of at this hotel. Accordingly, it ought to be promoted as 2 or 3 star , although the building is good compared to what is around as alternatives.

So my rating of poor relates to its competition with other self styled 5 star hotels generally. It is not to say that it is a poor hotel compared to other hotels around town. Were it promoted as 2 or 3 star, I would have given it a higher rating, but not on value - as the price is pitched at 5 star level.

The hotel gives you a sense of what it must have been like in the cultural revolution, when anybody who had an education, experience or knowledge of how to do something was considered bourgeois and sent out in the fields to slave away while the inexperienced youth were injected into the important roles within the economy. I don't think I saw anybody who was old enough to shave either their facial hair if male, or their legs if female. So in a perverse sort of a way, its kind of interesting from that historical perspective.

Consequently, the service was either non-existent or incompetent. And no English, French or Spanish - so be aware of the language gap, but that it likely inevitable in this part of the world as you will probably have worked out by now. Not that that is a problem particularly, as travel is about broadening the mind as much as anything else.

There is no scope for asking that a personal need or desire be met by the staff. You can't have a meal from the restaurant brought up to your room - you have to eat at the restaurant, not at the bar or anywhere else. There was no room service when I was there, which let's face it, is really one of the things that 5 star hotels are supposed to do.

I don't know this for a fact, but here I had the definite feeling - probably just paranoia - that your web searching and email and phone traffic would be monitored by the local branch of the intelligence service if you were a foreign businessman. Its probably safe to assume that in China generally if you are a traveling businessman from abroad.

If you don't speak Chinese, you will basically be unable to have anything happen which is dependent on communication. Be aware of that, and just be ready to bunker down in your room.

The air in Xining is among the worst polluted of anything you will come across around the world, and when you aren't used to it, you like to escape into the comfort of a 5 star - like in Delhi or Beijing say, but make sure your expectations are set very low for 5 star in this town, and in this hotel.

Other than that, the room is comfortable, the bed is fine, and its peaceful. There was some English language programs on TV, but I was watching local things and just read a book.

The food in the restaurant is OK, but as you might gather, its not haute cuisine- but it doesn't need to be. When you are out here in this part of the country, as long as its fresh and edible it passes the test in my book.

The price is too expensive for what you get, but if you are on business expenses, it doesn't grate as much as would do if it was coming out of your own pocket.

The location is good and it is placed to make it convenient to where your appointments are likely to be.

Room tip: speak mandarin
Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank uPelican
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This hotel has really varied reviews but I was pleasantly suprised by it. Maybe my expectations are lower than others as I have alot of experience on hotels in China and also I am an english speaker but I was travelling with a mandarin speaker.

The rooms are nice, good modern facilities, and not so hard beds that you usually find in China. We did not need to interact with staff that much so have no immediate issues with service levels that others complain of. We ate in the restaurant twice and the food standard is between average and above average and is reasonably priced.

I did not find the price to high and thought it represented reasonable value for money. It is in a good location opposite the square and we ate and 2 nice restaurants in the local area for the 2 nights we were there.

Date of stay: April 2012