See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 October 2016

Comparing the hotel's big name and service qualities and facilities, I rate Qinghai Hotel an average hotel at the moment because this hotel seems to be trying to improve probably due to tuff competitors. Several years ago, the service quality and cleanliness in the hotel were not satisfactory but in 2016 I have seen impressive progress, therefore I would recommend this hotel as an average hotel to future visitors.

Date of stay: August 2016
1  Thank KhamVoyage
Reviewed 19 October 2015

Very comfortable room, bathroom is up to date. The room cleaning crew provided outstanding services. We left our flipflops in the room while out for sight seeing, they were washed and left to dry by the window sills. What a pleasant surprised! A specially prepared home made tonic drink was provided daily to soothe the dry throat in addition to the complimentary bottle water. The breakfast was above average with broad selections. The room temperature was on the warm side because the AC was turned off. We had to open the window to sleep.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank FYL003
Reviewed 9 July 2015

I spent 4 nights at the Qinghai Hotel in June. I have visited Xining six times in the past 12 years. This was my second visit to the Qinghai hotel - the prior visit being exactly one year earlier. The property is not new but it is relatively well kept especially for Western China. The beds are comfortable not the very stiff ones so common outside the major cities. The internet was fast and reliable and they have added a couple more international TV viewing options.

The breakfast buffet is excellent especially if you are willing to try new things.

The riverwalk area nearby is good for a stroll or a jog.

The maid who took care of my room took time to iron some of my clothes and leave me a note in English which was a shock given most of the staff does not speak English. I will stay there again.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank lithiumsan
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I was quite surprised by the luxury and service quality of the Qinghai Hotel, since Xining is an old Silk Road town in a remote corner of far northern China. Xining is the provincial capital of Qinghai and a booming industrial city--the luxury is probably aimed at government and commercial travelers; in three days I saw hundreds of other guest but not a single other Westerner.

The hotel is stunning, with a spacious lobby combining tapered columns, fountains, fresh tabletop of flowers and various marbles and pastel carpets. Comfortable sofas and chairs to lounge in while using free WiFi (staff told me they could rig a device in my room to get WiFi there but I was quite happy to lounge in the lobby).

Very high staff to guest ratio and everyone on staff worked hard to be helpful. For example the hotel arranged a great driver to run me down to the Kumdum Monastery for a half day for less than $17. Many staffers in strategic positions speak excellent English though I doubt they get much chance to practice it.

Amenities: a business center, a fitness center, an elegant bar on the second floor, a karaoke on the third (doubtless designed for the male traveller), a Western restaurant on the first floor and a Chinese restaurant on the second. The boutique hall on the second is particularly noteworthy for a quite luxurious jade store.

The breakfast buffet, included in my rate and also in the Chinese restaurant, is one of the most lavish I've encountered. Western dishes can be had but so can scores of types of dim sum and stir fry. Meats included while joints of roast beef, a dense roast beef coated with peppercorns, spicy venison, and rabbit. Dishes tended to reflect tradition regional cuisine of the area, and much was terra incognita to me. Everything was labeled with English translations though these often didn't help: are "bull polliwogs" a euphemism for a certain part of the bovine anatomy or are the simply male polliwogs?

Rooms are luxurious. Some of the plumbing I have encountered anywhere in the world. Rooms are quiet. Beds are very comfy and the bedding was light but warm: good deal there since in four days in mid-June the temp outside consistently dropped to 6 degrees C (never got above 16C). Great view of the surrounding mountains from my room on the 15th floor.

Walking to the nearby park is recommended: several small groups were doing impromptu concerts and dance in traditional costume.

Budget backpackers would find the Qinghai too expensive, particularly if spending several nights in Xining. But for travelers with deeper pockets, I strongly recommend.

Date of stay: June 2014
3  Thank Vincent M
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I am in the hotel. It's 6 am, the bed has a thick quilt and the room temperature is 30 C. The air conditioning is pumping out hot air but the control is locked so I can't adjust it. The temperature outside is low but opening the window made little difference. The only reason I'm here is to get a badly needed good night's sleep but the hotel hasn't enabled that. Communication in English here is almost impossible but through a third party, I'm told that government regulations determine when they can turn heating and/or cooling off or on. The problem may then be somewhat out of the control of the hotel as I've encountered variations on this excuse elsewhere in China but the effect hasn't been as uncomfortable as this is. It's a shame because in many other ways, the hotel is quite attractive and generally of a high standard. There is a good restaurant adjacent to the hotel that serves a broad range of both oriental and western style foods.

Date of stay: April 2014