“BEAUTIFUL LOCATION/ROMANTIC”

GreenLeadersGold level
united kingdom
“BEAUTIFUL LOCATION/ROMANTIC”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This hotel was all I imagined, from the minute I drove up to it to leaving it. I cannot understand the reviews, the reception staff were extremely helpful and gave us a map of the area and recommended a lovely Italian restaurant which was perfect. The bar staff were lovely to me whilst I sat in peace she lit a candle on the table I sat at. We did not eat in the restaurant, but breakfast again the staff were more than pleasant mainly one of the male waiters very attentive to my english requests. The rooms were overlooking the lake to the right with a beautiful balcony and all I can say is perfect. Sadly its was a very sad time for me but I will return one day without hesitation and I know i will be happy and enjoy it. Please go to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tracey T
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear guest,

We feel markedly lucky that you have enjoyed your stay at the Badersee so much, altough the reason for being here has been little joyfully for you.

So we are looking forward to another day when you will again join us at the lake Badersee.

Alexander Riehn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2013

As others have already mentioned, it is a great location. Booking went well. Reception 'Fräulein" was not friendly, somewhat arrogant.
The hotel is very distrusting of its guests. For using the internet you not only get a personal key, but you also have to sign a contract (long text, no explanation was given, just sign here..) promising you will not do anything bad.
The hotel was full of noisy seminar guests.
Room was good, large with separate toilet and bathroom, balcony and great lake view. But if you leave the balcony door open, mosquitos invade the room.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for staying with us at the wonderful Badersee and for leaving a comment at tripadvisor.

I heartly apologize for your bad experience at the rezeption desk. Usually we don't treat our guest unfriendly or arrogant. But you can be sure that we trust our guests. The code that you have to get for using the internet is in wide parts enforced by Germany law due to the fact that we have to hand over ip adresses in case of authority requests. On the other hand we have to protect ourselfs against illegeal downloads which, unfortunately, happen in hotels.

As you have described, the hotel has a wonderful location at a small lake within a small forest. So it enforced by nature that the mosquitos enter if you leave open the balcony door. Sorry for that.

I really hope that you will come back to the Hotel am Badersee one day just to give us another chance to offer you some relaxing days at the mountain Zugspitze.

Munich, Bayern, Germany
Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

This hotel has probably the best location in the world, just next to a wonderful small lake and Zugspitze. I've been here twice, before and after renovation. The first time everything was perfect and peaceful. Now, in july 2013, the renovations are ready but I've seen a decrease in the level of service. There was a very loud party that lasted to small hours, it disturbed us. Seems that hotel management doesn't care about the peaceful location but are in fact turning the hotel into a party place, it's a real shame. When we checked in, the most mportant thing to the receptionist seemed to be that we check out at 11 o'clock - not very welcoming I'd think. Also, the garage is way too small and there no one checking the parking, guests are parking how they want and comsuming two spaces in stead of one - well, not really hotel's fault, but they asked for registration number so why don't they control the parking too? Breakfast is good, and the view is breathtaking. All in all, this hotel has problems in management, but it's still ok hotel.

Stayed July 2013
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear guest,

Thanks a lot for staying with us at the Hotel am Badersee and for leaving a comment at tripadvisor. I am sorry that you did not feel comfortable in every concerns. Please let me explain two points for following reader.

The Hotel am Badersee is still a wonderful and quiet place facing the mountain Zugspitze. July in fact is a high season month and all hotels in the valley are well booked. Also a few international events take place at Garmisch-Partenkirchen in July. Certainly in a well frequented house you will find always groups gathering together in a bar or on a terrace. But this is definetely normal for a hotel and has nothing to do with the management or a party zone.

A parking controlled by staff is in Germany absolutely unusual and hard to find. Some of the 5-star locations in the cities offer a valet parking service. But if you park your car by yourown there will be no control in the parking.

Hope to see you again next time at the Badersee. Please feel free to contact us prior to a reservation to ask for a low season to ensure an absolutely quiet and relaxing stay.

Kind regards from sunny Grainau

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The hotel is very good location with perfect decoration and nice room BUT the reception were unfriendly at all , angry , Uncooperative.
The previous disadvantage overwrite advantage !

Sorry for that but it happen two time with different reception stuff

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ameer_ksa
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear guests,

thank you very much for leaving a comment on tripadvisor after your short stay at the Badersee.

On one hand I apologize for the circumstance that you felt discriminated. On the other hand I really cannot understand how you came to this conclusion of racism. We are working within the most international industry of the world, over the year we host guests from about 30 different countries, we have collegues from six different nations working here at the Badersee, some of us are married to a partner from another country. So please try to understand that we don't have any problems with racism. To the contrary it belongs to our work to host all kind of guests and we love to host guests from all over the world, because that is the most interesting part of our work.

So please don't use such words in the wrong way and in the wrong coherence.

Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We have been travelling abroad for almost three months...in Germany for 4 weeks, and this is our last week. We were supposed to stay at this hotel for one night. I booked the room months in advance. We were supposed to have a room described on their website as "The forest will not obstruct your breathtaking view as you look across the lowlands to the rocky peaks of the Bavarian Prealps..." However, after a rather unfriendly welcome from the girl at the front desk, we went up to our room to find a view of an ugly, dirty roof! When I went back down to the front desk to inquire about our "mountain view" she said too bad, the other rooms are filled. We were also informed that the restaurant, our other chance to enjoy the view, was not open. When I asked if it was always closed on Tuesdays (I didn't see anything on the website) she said, no that they just had a big group they wanted to accomodate and so we couldn't eat there. During the discussions, my husband told her he really needed to get on line to check something for work while we figured this out, and she was EXTREMELY rude and said 'only paying customers can use it and since it sounds like you will be checking out, you can't use it!' That was the final straw. We decided it wasn't worth it to stay in a place where they treated you so poorly, didn't bother to email and let you know you wouldn't be able to use their main restaurant (there is one on the lower level) and gave us the crummiest view possible, when we had reserved a view of the famous Alps they rest below...The manager of the hotel was in the lobby as we went to drop off the keys and leave, and when I mentioned the situation, and said that most of all we were leaving due to the extreme rudeness of the girl at the desk, he took her side and said it was 'probably just the language barrier'...well she knew English pretty darn well, and eyeball rolling translates into any language! Do yourself a favor, choose a different place to stay while in this area. There are plenty of gorgeous little hotels and guest houses with lovely views to choose from.
We spend about half the year traveling, and I think, therefore have learned the difference between good and bad customer service. For those who might think this is just a more direct/German way of dealing with the public, this is NOT the case. Everywhere else we've been has been a completely different story. In fact, we drove up to Munich last night since we decided against this hotel, and were greeted by the manager both at check in and today he asked how we liked the BMW Welt experience, and if there was anything we needed. WOW~ Totally different experience (we are at the Shereton Munchen Westpark btw).
Well, hope this helps someone make a better choice than we made. BTW~ the pictures on their website make it look WAY nicer than the rooms really are...well, at least the one we got. The only positive thing I can say is it was clean.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear guests,

Thanks a lot for leaving a comment at tripadvisor although you didn't stay at this hotel. First I am sorry for any inconvenience which you have experienced at Grainau.

Due to the fact that you only have described a small part of the conversation with our reception staff and with myself let me please give a short statemente to enable other readers to take the right decision.

First the description of the view from the hotel rooms is absoluteley correct. From your room you would have had a view facing the mountain Kramerspitze with a height of nearly 2.000 meters. Also correct is, as you have mentioned, that especially from this room you see also a part of the hotel roof. As you have been told most friendly by my colleague we were not able to offer you another room due to a fully booked hotel. I am sorry for this circumstance.

Second my colleague at the reception was absolutely right not to give you an access to public Wifi, because due to data protection regulations, this is only available for hotel guests.

Again I am very sorry for this bad experience for you at Grainau. I really hope that you come back another year, this time as a guest in our hotel to give us the chance to change your opinion. You also can book your room directly at our homepage. There you also find an exact description of the three room categories.

Kind regards vom the Badersee
Germany
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Check out the photos I have posted! They say a lot about our stay here. Just beautiful, quiet and perfect place to gather your thoughts and enjoy a perfect view of the Zuspitze. A few things that bothered me a bit are as follows: I didn't enjoy the fact that the beds had no sheets to cover up with. Each bed had 1 comforter, no sheets, no other blankets. So in our case, we had to open the balcony door because we were sweating during the night. We also had 3 people staying in our room so I slept on the couch bed. The comforter did not fully cover me once I did get cold, with my feet exposed. The hotel should seriously consider placing some sheets and additional blankets on the beds. We would have slept a lot better each night if we were not waking up during the night sweating. Also, I used a VAT form for our stay here. For those who don't know what that is, military members are entitled to 19% tax free of purchases on the economy. Since I was told that I would be able to use this form during booking, I was under the impression that 19% would be used. So, for a 3 nights stay it would cost us approximately 500 euros, minus 19% tax, some where around 400 euros. However, upon checking out, over 403 euros of the total was only taxed at 7%, while 136 euros was taxed at 19%. This was not told to me on the phone during booking. We did eat dinner 1 night, and had 3 mineral waters in the room but other then this there was no other charges made by us. Our total ended up being 546,86 euros after the VAT form was used. So with all this being said, we did feel at the end of a rather pleasant stay, a bit used. To have over 75% of your bill only taxed at 7% while the other portion actually taxed at 19% did not seem right at all. Still bothered by this and if the room & view were not so good the rating for this place would probably drop a bit just because of this simple technicality. Also, the younger staff working breakfast and dinner did not seem to friendly. I guess that's why we have tripadvisor. Hoping for a better stay the next time around. I would still recommend this place because of the views and cleanliness.

Room Tip: If you are going to book a room with mountain view, do so with good weather in the forecast, or the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear guests,

Thanks a lot for enjoying your stay at the beautiful Badersee. The panorama is really extraordinary.

Please accept my excuses for the circumstances in the night. Next time please give us a short call at the reception desk and we will supply you with some sheets. Also for guest who are a little bit taller we have some sheets and comforters on stock.

Please excuse the misinformation about the tax form. But that is, sorry to say that, up to the US government to provide the military staff with the right forms as well as the correct information. Since 2010 the German government charges lodging with 7% and 19% for all the rest.

Again thank you very much for staying with us. We will check back your critic with our service staff.

Have a good time and hope to see you again at the beautiful Badersee.

Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed 7 March 2013

When we arrived in the hotel after four hour driving in the snowy day, the hotel was very busy with business guests at the lobby. Unlucky, we were punished by an unfriendly lady staff who seem to be really really tired and angry as there were so many quests standing around her. We were told that we booked room via internet wrongly so it was not possible to have additional bed for my little boy or even upgrade to another room with my own additional cost. After checking in, we spent time for searching the direction to get into the room , one of staff who kind enough came to us to point out where we should go. It was fun for my son to find miracle directions but it was not so fun for me to carry heavy luggages up to an elevated floor and have to walk pass through the hotel restaurant (such poorly design) . The room was modern at 19 century. No refrigerator. No water. No telephone book etc. However, it was fun to imagine what I would see something in the lake where surrounded by the forest of the Lord of the Ring atmosphere after getting dark.. During the night, three of us have to sleep terribly in a same bed with crossing direction in a cold temperature as we need to keep windows its open to ventilate bad toilet and carpet smell. We suppose to stay for three night but luckily we could check out in the following day and moved to Seefeld in stead. Anyway, it was a good experience to learn what could go wrong to believe high voting scores with nice marketing hotel photos of this four star hotel. Or it may we were in the bad day, it part of traveling life. Good luck for travellers.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
hotelambadersee, Manager at Hotel am Badersee, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Mr. C.,

Thank you for your feedback at tripadvisor concerning your stay at our hotel.

First we apologize for any inconvenience which you and your family have experienced. Usually it doesn't belong to our house style that we treat our guests unfriendly by arriving at our hotel. We have checked the circumstances with our staff and claryfied the subject.

When I subtract the entitled factor of frustration in your judgement after a long trip I can isolate the following facts:

The welcome in our hotel wasn't as it should have been and I again apologize for that.

A crowded lobby sometimes happens in a well frequented hotel. In this case you have arrived together with a big conference party.

Your reservation via booking.com indeed indicates a failure. But that has not been your mistake. We had a reservation for two people in a double room. Your additional requested extra bed is definetely not mentioned on your reservation. We will check that back with booking.com. due to the fact that this is not the first time, that an additional request doesn't arrive with the e-mail. So we have been absolutely fully booked at this time we were not able to offer you one of our rooms with extra bed. I am very sorry for that circumstance.

Again I apologize for your negative experience. I can ensure you that such circumstances don't belong to our usual policy.

I hope to see you again in our Hotel at the beautiful Badersee.

Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grainau
SENTIDO Zugspitze Berghotel Hammersbach
Romantik Alpenhotel Waxenstein
Eibsee Hotel
Eibsee Hotel
#7 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaway
Das Graseck - my mountain hideaw...
#1 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Hotel Zugspitze
Hotel Zugspitze
#3 of 42 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Alpenhof Grainau
Alpenhof Grainau
#4 of 17 in Grainau

Been to Hotel am Badersee? Share your experiences!