Maria Tsanakalioti's Apartments
Hotel Eden Rock(Agia Fotia)
US$79
US$72
Hotel Achlia(Ierapetra)
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
  • Free Internet
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbeautiful beachperfect locationwonderful hoststwo weeksmain beachwonderful holidaypatiosandbedroomseamakrigialossunbedscreteseptemberaccommodationshadebliss
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed at Maria's apartment and I couldn't have asked for more.
I had a room with an amazing sea view.
It was very late at night when arrived and was welcomed by the whole family and also invited to a BBQ the following day which I thought was tremendously generous .
The room was clean and tidy, the fridge was full of goodies (very nice surprise ), very peaceful , the only thing I could hear was the waves which is just what you want when you escape the city,
You find supermarkets, excellent fish restaurants and bakeries just 5 min walking distances from Maria's place, very convenience.
If you are into Gorges, there is one very close and is called Perkis, It's unbelievable pretty.
Amazing place to stay!
very nice people, I will come back!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I made a booking asking for 2 separate beds since I was going there with my cousin just to hear Miss Maria asking me inappropriate questions like "Are you 2 male cousins or boy & girl?". It all got worse as soon as we arrived there "Why is the girl that is driving and not you?" Excuse me...??? We were given a room with childish decoration (teddy bears!), street-view and terrible noise! We could hardy sleep the whole night because of the motorcycles, the cars and the trucks that were driving exactly under our balcony! After a terrible night (which also included mosquitos attack!) we checked out tired and sleepless like zombies! (not exactly the relaxing, holiday feeling that we were longing for...) Miss Maria was extremely rude calling me after check-out to complain that we had taken a small bottle of shampoo, although it is clearly mentioned on the website that the bathroom products are included in the price of the room. She also made comments like "You stayed only one night and now I have to change towels and sheets" implying that she would obviously let us use the same again and again if we had stayed longer...??? Of course I complaint to her about the noise just to get the inappropriate response "Isn't it noisy in the place where you are coming from?" I definitely not recommend this place.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sotiris_Pap
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We first came to Crete over 20 years ago we came with the now defunct Kosmar. After a lengthy delay on the transfer bus at Heraklion (someones tea making equipment had gone missing) we started the longish transfer to Makrigialos. Silently we both felt despair at what seemed to be endless stops at grotty tourist locations and it was't filling with of us with confidence. Then we arrived in Makrigialos and fell in love with Crete. It was a wonderful holiday filled with lovely memories and we have subsequently returned to Crete many times and stayed in some great places - we once spent a week in Heraklion and loved the noise. However we never returned to Makrigialos because we didn't believe it could be as good a second time. Often we would peruse the accommodation in Crete and talk about the beautiful beach in Makri. In 2012 we had to holiday late and wanting somewhere Greek and warm we went to Cyprus (never again!!!) In October 2013 we bit the bullet and decided whatever happens we were going to return to Makrigialos and just chill out and enjoy some sun, sea, fish, Mythos, raki, lovely greek salad with warm friendly tomatoes and Motion (my favourite fruit juice).
So we looked and we discovered Maria's Apartments we'd seem them advertised before but thought they looked too good to be true.....they're not they really are superb. When we arrived Maria met us with the biggest smile and the friendliest of welcomes, and this hospitality lasted for the 10 days we were there. Often Maria would come over to see us to see if we were ok and to suggest things to see and do always with a tasty dish of delights simple fare but wow so delicious. Later during our stay Despina arrived back in Makrigialos and would pop by to be sociable and have a chat. The apartment we stayed in consisted of a kitchen diner at the back by the road, a small corridor, with bathroom off, which led to the bedroom with wardrobe, large bed and those all important doors that opened up to the most wonderfully relaxing view in the world. We had hired at Heraklion a soft top car because we love exploring the island and finding it's amazing sights and flora and fauna. This apartment was so perfect we hardly ventured out expect the last 2 days where we felt guilty we hadn't done anything other than enjoy being by the sea. Manos owns the supermarket just up the road turn left out of the door, he too spoilt us with homemade raki and lovely fruit and veg. Normally I spend the whole year in short sleeves and if it's a cold/chilly i will put a Gillet on I rarely feel the cold - I got so relaxed here that at night time I was actually getting cold and feeling tired I'm not complaining it just highlights to me how lovely it is here. No moans we both got attacked by mozzies, the bed as previously mentioned is a little hard and maybe the shower could be updated.......will we go back HELL YEH!!!!!!!
Oh and if you go and have a ground floor apartment when you sit out on the patio and enjoy a snack don't worry about the ants just watch their determination as they clear away any crumbs you drop and then disappear. The sun rises over the sea it's just amazing, the sand is soft and the sea is shallow for such a long way out - we snorkelled everyday. We love this place thank you Maria and Despina (oh and Manos) for making it so lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I stayed here for 1 week with my partner in July 2013 - whilst the accomodation formed the cheapest of the places we stayed in around crete, it was by far the best! The room is simple and homely, and has everything you need. Air con worked fine, bed was comfy, and the views from the balcony are spectacular! I loved waking up to the sound of the sea, and having breakfast on the balcony :) Maria and her mum (Maria) were both lovely - really welcoming and helpful throughout our stay. Couldn't ask for better hosts!
Makrigialos is certainly a fair way to travel from Hania airport, but it's a lovely part of the island, and worth the effort. We saved on car rental that year and did the journey by bus - much cheaper, and actually quite easy once you work out the timetables, but does come with the disadvantage that there are inevitable bits you miss by not being able to go far from the main through road. Makrigialos itself was bigger than I'd anticipated, but that just meant there were more choices of places to eat and drink. It has retained nice Cretan charm, with not too touristy an atmostphere. There are lots of bits of beaches to choose from, all really nice.
I would certainly recommend this room and location :)

Room Tip: would recommend rooms with apartment looking over the beach
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 295missm
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I've reviewed Maria's apartments before & like nearly everyone else think that they, & Makrigialos, are wonderful. This time we went with another couple & had the upstairs 2 bedoom apartment. It was great. 2 comfortable rooms that both opened on to a large balcony that faced the beach / sea. (1 little quible - only 1 had air con, but as it was Sept. this wasn't really an issue but it might be in July / Aug)
You get to the aprtment up stairs from the road, a very large room with a kitchen area & at the other end a sofa, in the middle a dinning table & chairs. Bathroom is in the middle, shower over the bath & very hot water which never seemed to run out.
Maria & Despina were their usual hospitable selves - a meal was waiting for us to cook in the oven, we had olives & tomatoes almost daily.
The beach changed almost daily, no problems with peebles this year but at the start is was very narrow, by the end of the week it was about 4 times bigger.
Really looking forward to going back again & we will probably ask for the apartment again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but don't be like 1 guest who complained that the sea kept him awake - you have a beachside room so enjoy it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple