“Amazing!”

Aspros Potamos
London, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed in Aspros Potamos for 3 nights and it was the most relaxing a wonderful part of our 13 day crete holiday. I cannot express how much i loved my stay here, only to say that I still miss it. I was expecting a rural and slightly uncomfortable time when my partner booked it and was surprised at how comfortable my stay was. hot water whenever i needed, adequate cooking facilities, comfy bed and total peace. I am very sensitive to artificial lights and loved the kerosene lamps that lit our evening. We ate in for two nights and found the cooking facilities perfectly workable with a little planning, one of the nights we ate out in the nearby village of Pefki at a wonderful taverna with an ancient Peppertree right through the centre, the food was excellent (especially the Imam Baldi). The cats that live at the aspros were also a highlight as we had two kittens visit us daily, it really felt like home.
Michaila was fantastic and so was Myrto, who came to our house on our first morning to see if we needed anything before she went out! You can tell how much she loves the place and takes your comfort and enjoyment as personally as if you were her house guests.
Total relaxation like i have never expewrienced before, i will definately be going again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Meriel A

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Greek first
Rogerstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We chose Aspros Potamos for its quirky "eco" approach and its position near Makry-Gialos, a pleasant little seaside town with a laid-back atmosphere. Aspros Potamos is not that easy to find: we made a few wrong turns on our way.
The rooms were large enough but not cleaned once in 3 days, and the shower was very temperamental. It was just as well the position in the gorge was all we could have desired, and there was very good outside space for sitting and relaxing, as the drive up the hairpin-bended track discouraged us from going out after dark. So we picnicked in the evenings with a bottle of wine, watching the lights twinkle in the valley and the stars twinkle overhead, before sleeping really well in the rural silence.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I enjoyed a lot being there because I appreciated the silence, the natural way of living, the starriest sky than ever! Thanks to the small and clever use of electricity...really eco-friendly!
No electricy apart from a bed light and a bathroom light but never mind when you can appreciate the sounds of nature, but you always find your hot water thanks to the solar panels!
Fortunately the place is a little far from other residential areas at the foot of small pretty gorge leading to a nice village on the hill and a very few km fro mthe sea.
In a way it seemed a trip back in time and I really liked that because it's been regenerating: just what I needed.
I also slept deeply in this room similar to a "cave"; maybe beds could be a little larger but you can make it. Everything is basic but you've got everything you need. One more thing I really appreciated was the discreet presence of the owner Myrto and her assistant Micaela. I thank them a lot and if I end up in Makrygialos again I'll be there for sure!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tonsi64
Lagos, Portugal
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This place is an easy step off the main track of Makry-Gialos.

It's situated in a small Gorge, making it a peaceful and picturesque location.

The rooms had a lovely atmosphere in the evening having only the lanterns and candle lights for lighting.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Staying in Aspros Potamos was the worst experience i ve ever had with hotels!
The rooms are old tradional houses which had never been maintained and where very dirty. And above all they where asking 65 euros per night! Its a fraud!
We made a reservation for three nights and we stayied only one. We didnt take a receipt because the owner was missing...
Be careful! The ve done very good job with site where the rooms look fantastic...

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank Efthimisss
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had a beautiful and most relaxing holiday at Aspros potamos. It reminded me of my childhood in the 80ties. When I went with my parents to Greece every Summer. The quiet, relaxing and beautiful atmosphere. The unbelievable friendliness of the Greek people. It is such a special place in the mountains away from everything. Thank you Michaela for all your tips. Liv and Luna are just talking about going back on holiday to Crete everyday. We went end of May and would definately come back again around that time or even earlier. It was the perfect start for the slow northern european Summer. We came back after a week feeling warmed up from the inside and happy after just eating really simple and fresh food everyday. It was perfect. Thank you again for having us.

Room Tip: We were in house number 6 which I wouldn't go again. As the ceiling was too low for us, but we a...