If a warm friendly welcome where every effort is made to make your holiday relaxing, enjoyable and memorable is what you are looking for, then this is the hotel for you.
The numerous favourable reviews already posted list all the plus points of the pool and gardens, Makri Gialos and south eastern Crete, while the occasional unfavourable review draws attention to the fact that rooms are not equipped to modern, five star, state of the art standard. However they are spotlessly clean with all essentials and full of character, with an outside space to sit for meals if you want to prepare your own, although this certainly isn't necessary as excellent food is available in the hotel or the many tavernas within strolling distance along the street.
For those who like to be entertained, there are opportunities to meet other guests around the pool and during evening events such as the BBQ and quiz, but there is no pressure to join in.
For those who want an organised daily programme for children or kid's club, however, this is not the hotel for them.
We have now visited three times and on each occasion we have found the advice provided by the small team of staff invaluable. For example, we enjoy walking, so after joining in the gorge walk guided by Vassilis during our first visit, he has provided directions for us to tackle other gorge walks on our own. Suggestions for places to go are usually accompanied by advice on where to eat which we have found uniformly good, often with an extra course or snacks provided with drinks.
After one rather strenuous gorge walk, the next day we wanted something less demanding - no problem. Following a minute's consideration, we were provided with directions for a walk between two villages through a pine forest, details of some interesting church architecture to view, a brief history of one of the few houses remaining locally where a room had been built over the street to link two properties during the Turkish occupation, and of course, where to have lunch.
We also like snorkelling, and after mentioning that the winter weather had left a nearby beach slightly stony, Nico the barman promptly suggested a gently shelving sandy beach with rocks at either end, where fish could be seen.
These examples give a taste of the kind of holiday available for those who like to explore, but the hotel is also ideally suited to those who would prefer so spend the day relaxing on a sun lounger on a beach or beside the pool, with food and drink supplied from the pool bar. Either way, the staff all give a friendly greeting whenever you pass by and do their very best to provide prompt service.
They have been warned, we will be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villea Village is located on the South Eastern coast of Crete, where you will find still Authentic Crete.... The small resort is built around an olive grove, each apartment with its own patio or balcony overlooking the gardens or the mountain backdrop. Lie around the large pool shaded by olive treesor walk 50 meters to the beach, crystal clear waters. The fishing village with seaside tavernas and drink establishments serve famed local cuisine. Gorges for hiking, architectural sites, wineries and local mountain villages, along with stunning day trips and adventures await you or you can simply lie by the pool or simply spend time watching the local craftsmen and fishermen ply their trade. Hear Cretan music, learn Cretan dancing, drink Cretan wines and local spirits, have a go at quiz night, enjoy poolside bar b ques or do nothing at all. This small resort is run family style with most staff giving 15 plus years of Cretan hospitality and welcome back guests as once is never enough!!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Bookgreece.com, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, Odigeo, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villea Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villea Village Hotel Makry-Gialos
- Villea Village Resort Crete, Greece