Let's put it this way, after two nights, we moved out and paid to stay in a hotel on the hill.
In all my years travelling (and I am a travel writer) I have never encountered anything as bad as the Olivas apartments in the centre of Lloret owned by the Lloveras company.
1. The airport transfer bus cannot get anywhere near the apartments, as they are above a cafe on a very narrow street.
2. The bus driver dropped us a block away and waved us in the general direction and we had to fend for ourselves.
3. The apartments are not signposted at all, and look like upstairs storerooms for the cafe underneath ( the cafe is nothing to do with the apartments as the frustrated cafe owner will tell you in no uncertain terms - he gets a lot of hassle about the 'apartments' so much so, that he is putting his cafe on the market to move elsewhere!)
4. You have to find the Lloveras office on the seafront to obtain the keys then schlepp back through the town to get access to the apartments.
5. I was immediately suspicious when the woman at the office handed us three different keys tied with an elastic band and said they were all for the door, and could not explain more than that.
6. One key is for the main front door, the second key is for the apartment door, and the third key is for the huge PADLOCK that is also on the apartment door. This did not inspire confidence.
7. Once inside there is a notice on the wall saying that the apartment should be locked at all times from the inside when you are in residence, and to lock and use the huge PADLOCK to lock your door when out of the apartment - Why? What are they expecting or have experienced in the past? Not good.
8. The apartment was truly horrible. Dark, dank and musty very sparsely furnished with cheap, worn and tattered pieces. No balcony, a very poorly equipped kitchen with not enough cutlery, crockery etc for two people and no kettle, just a small battered saucepan in which to boil water.
9. The bathroom was dark and dirty, and the window would not stay shut, which was awkward considering you had to stand in front of it to shower, under the broken shower head that dribbled water.
10. The safe would not work, and was completely useless.
11. There was no AirCon but you could not open the windows as they were directly opposite and very close to other apartments and we could all see into each other's. Also the noise from the traffic, street, late night teenage clubbers, bin men, delivery lorries, motorbikes, dogs, was absolutely unbearable. Windows had to be kept shut day and night, which added to the claustrophobic cell-like atmosphere.
12.On the morning of day 3 after another sleepless night, we packed, left and went to the Lloveras office to complain. We were told to come back at 4pm, to see the boss, and he MAY find us another room, if he thought our complaint was worthy. (how very gracious).
13. We left a written complaint, (which no doubt went in the bin) then went to the tourist office to ask about alternative accommodation, which they found us in a hotel on the hill between Lloret and Fenals.
14. I am still battling with Sun4U holidays over this, but will never use them again, and have written many reviews about our experience (we both work in the media for newspapers) and told as many people as we can, and have also written letters of complaint to everyone involved.
15. As we had no idea where the airport transfer bus was picking us up, and the fact that their office would not answer the phone, we made our own way back to Gerona Airport. I'm not bothering to fight that element of the holiday, as it is cheaper to let it go.
16. To sum up - NEVER AGAIN.
- Also Known As:
- Lloveras Apartments Selection Lloret De Mar, Costa Brava, Spain