“HTop Amaika, Calella”
Review of H.TOP Royal Beach

H.TOP Royal Beach
Ranked #79 of 124 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
Reviewed 27 August 2010

I want to say a big Thank you to Mark at HTop for upgrading my family to the newly refurbished HTop Amaika Hotel in Calella. The hotel itself is a great location 5 minute walk from the beach, there were shops, restaurants etc all a stone throw away. Our room was very spacious with four beds, TV, fridge, and a fantastic bathroom, with separate shower, bath with overhead shower, sink, toilet, bidet, and hairdryer. The Hotel was refurbished to a very high standard and looked sensational.
The hotel was exceptionally clean and the reception staff and Restaurant Staff were nice they all work very long hours and very hard. The Restaurant Manager and Head Waiter were exceptional with their customer service, nothing was too much trouble, and those two staff are really a credit to HTop Hotels. I have taken photos of them for you all to see, as they really do deserve praise. On the Sunday night and Monday my Husband and youngest son became very ill with sunstroke and could not physically leave the room. The Restaurant Manager and Head Waiter provided me with food and ice cold bottled water to take up to the room, and Monday evening the Head Waiter took the food and water up to the room for me so my other son and me could eat our meal. There was a wide variety of food, but sometimes the eggs at breakfast were cold but there was a microwave to warm food up so was not a problem. The TV room/internet room was very spacious and cool. The Gym was very good with a good selection of equipment which we really enjoyed using. Didn’t get round to using the Sauna and Jacuzzi but it looked amazing!!!
The entertainment was ok, kiddies disco every night and a couple of shows, however I had seen better at other HTop Hotels as I have stayed at a few. The Pool was slightly smaller than expected and never managed to get a sun bed, but had plenty of chairs and tables, but that did not matter as we went to the beach most days. The beach is wonderful, very clean, plenty of space for adults and children to play games. The waves do get quite high though and the water gets deep very quickly within 7 feet it was up to my neck, so you have to be careful with young children. We actually loved the waves and enjoyed being thrown around in the waves and jumping the waves, great fun!!!!
The HTop coach is fantastic and we spent the day in Malgrat de Mar at the Planamar Hotel which is just across the road from the beach. Again, a great location, good games room, pool, gym.
Our first night was spent in the HTop Olympic, which is a very large Hotel (about 5/10 minute walk from the Amaika Hotel ) and has two pools at the front of the Hotel and more pools at the back of the Hotel. The staffs were very friendly and the Hotel was very clean. However, the rooms are awfully squashed with four beds in. Returning from the beach, I found a message under my door asking me to contact the Hotel Manager. I went to the reception and was taken to the Managers office. The Manager Frank was lovely and informed me the Director of HTop wanted to speak to me on the telephone urgently. Well after speaking to Mark, I was over the moon to find out we were being offered a upgrade because of what had happened with my holiday with SUN4U, which I ended up paying twice. I hope that I will be refunded for the first Hotel I paid for.
I only have one criticism of the Amaika Hotel and that is the attitude of the Bar Manager and bar staff. Many families were complaining because the bar staff refused to allow adults to get more than two drinks at a time for their families. On the Monday night when my Husband and son were ill. I went down to the bar with my other son to try and get four soft drinks to take up to our room. My son got his drink and I explained to the waiter that my Husband and son were very ill in bed and could I please have three drinks. The waiter refused and gave me two drinks only. When I asked why and he said that’s the hotel policy. I told the waiter I was on the forth floor and it would be silly to take the two drinks up to the room then have to come back down and queue up again to get another drink. The Waiter said my husband can come and get his own drink. I took my two drinks to the Reception and explained to the Reception staff who made a phone call and said I could now go and get another drink. However once again at the bar the waiter refused. Eventually the Bar Manager came and told me to leave the two drinks at the reception then I can get another drink at the bar after queuing up again. In all I was about 2o minutes trying to get three drinks for myself, Husband and son . AS YOU KNOW i HAD READ REVIEWS ABOUT THIS HAPPENING AND THE HTop Staff on Facebook assured me that common sense avails and I would be able to get drinks for my family. Unfortunately, the Bar Manager has no common sense and instructs his staff not to allow Adults wanting to get drinks for their families to take more than two drinks at a time. I must admit I was very upset by this especially as my husband and son were so ill and how good the Restaurant Manager and Head Waiter had been all day providing outstanding customer service. Please do have a word with your Bar Manager and Staff there, as you will loose valuable customers to HTop Hotels with this kind of hostility and stupidity towards families.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 August 2010

Had an awful experience at this Hotel. Aside from the bad location surrounded by almost every other culture EXCEPT spanish, the service was appaling. Had several racist encounters with the staff, comments that they deem funny were very offensive and not humourous in any way, one's which i care not o repeat. The staff were difficult in providing us with services that we had PAID for! Often giving us trouble about whether or not we had provided the right amount of notice etc. none of which was explained to us properly when we had chacked in. It was distressing how impatient and rude the service was and to be honest just plain shocking! I will never return to a Hotel from this company again! and steer well-clear of all-inclusive packages from now on as it honestly wasnt worth the headache.
I hope you take my honesty on board and stear well clear of the same!
All the best with your future travels.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I'm 57 Years of age and spent one week with my wife, an 11 year old and two 19 year olds in the Royal Star H Top Hotel. As a backdrop, I have never complained about any hotel in my life until now, as I believe that what you pay for, is what you usually get. To be fair this is also written off the back of Sun4U Direct going bust two hours after we arrived. What was this hotels reaction. Yes you guessed it - 'LETS KICK EVERYONE OUT' that can't pay 104 euros per person per night. Now I know it's not the hotels fault that our holiday firm went bust, and after several families got together, the hotel finally relented to let us stop for 1 night, but we were told to vacate our rooms by 10:00am the following morning. Oh, and of course we had our All Inclusive cards confiscated like petty criminals and told we could have no food or drinks. Great for the kids huh? The story continued with us all having to go to independant travel firms to get a better quote / move to another hotel / go home. I managed to get this very same hotel @ 79 euros pppn and rebooked it at a cost of 1,590 euros for our party. There are obviously agency fees in this as well, so the business decision is not one I would like to justify, unless the Hotel was just trying to make a 'fast buck'. On getting up the following morning to have breakfast we were shouted at by security at the Restaurant door and refused entry. Why? well of course we had booked from that day, so were considered newly arrived guests who can't get into their rooms until after 12:00, hence no breakfast on top of no dinner, the previous night. Both of those I could handle, but after paying in excess of £3,200 for 7 nights holiday, I found it rather embarrasing to be refused meals and drinks by the hotel staff whilst they barred my entrance with hands and arms across my body. Everyone was looking, and my little girl ran off to the toilet in tears. What a great start to our holiday huh? What a bad move I made by re-booking this hotel. What happened next? well here goes:
1. No sleep for the rest of the week with drunken and disorderly teenagers partying in the rooms and screaming along corridors until 5 in the morning. 2. Beds smelt of damp linen. Got them to change them 3 times to no avail. 3. Constant fights from other clients who couldn't take any more of the bar staff serving locals several drinks with their All Inclusive cards whilst leaving us strictly to 2 drinks at a time. 4. For beer drinkers, forget the All Inclusive deal - The plastic tumblers hold about a quarter of a pint so you have to line up again and again. 5. Entertainment - 'What a joke' - Even the Karaoke night was cancelled due to technical problems. Call me a conspiricy theorist if you like, but I truly believe that the entertainment is deliberately bad, and I mean really bad in order for you to go elsewhere. Remember almost everyone is on an All Inclusive deal, so if you stay in the hotel in the evenings, you are costing them money. Now for the good points. 1. Food was quite good, and not as bad as I had read. It's the typical spanish 'Self Service' that is replicated right across the Costa's, but the choices were plentiful enough for there to be something for everyone. 2. Location - Good, and it's close enough to the beaches and central Lloret. 3. Enough sun beds to cater for everyone across the 2 pools. 3. I don't have a third good point. In summary, the hotel staff didn't give a hoot that we were in trouble, or needed to get at least one nights sleep. I had a quiet chat with one of the reception staff, who said that 'H top' 'Staff cut backs' were causing them problems, and that it's only in the months of July and August that they have the 'drunken teenager' problem. I was also told that this hotel is advertised as an 18 to 30 holiday in Germany, but I will check that out myself as this could be chinese whispers, but all evidence of this was borne out by the rooms full of single sex youngsters with no adult authority. In final summary, it was the hotel from hell, with staff who couldn't or wouldn't give a damn.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Elvis1953
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We spent 11 days in this hotel, full board, and we had 7/11days our lunch and dinner outside. The food was terrible! The chippest cheese, instant pasta or ham you could buy in the supermarket, the fried potatoes were cold, the meat was mostly of strange colour, the fish was overcooked, the seafood was canned, the vegeterian menu was poor... If we didn't have our own private tours around, it woud have been the worst holiday ever; The personel in the restourant were unpleasant and not profesional at all. As drinks were not included, we had to pay for them, and every time it was different price; the fifth day we were told they do not charge sodas, but we soon figured out that it was only because the management of HTOP were visiting the hotel for inspection. It came out they were stealing money from us, we never received a bill for what we payed, they were organized so well, they made our holiday a nightmare! There was no wireless in the lobby as it was "guarantteed", and they were claiming they had noting to do with that as if they didn't understand English well ..The rooms were not the worst we've seen, but certainly not 4 stars. The pool was not clean, and we had impressin that the chairs around the pool were the same they had 30 years ago...As we had private excursions, we asked for lunch packages which we never saw..They were claiming they don't understand what we want once, and next time they said they never received the reception note to prepare them..........The location was good, there were many things to do or see in Lloret and other places we've visited, although Lloret is good destination mostly for teenagers because the town never sleeps, and you can see drunk and violent people everywhere during the day and night. It came out that local habitants and service within restaurants and bars were not so friendly if you speak English, so even if you give them plenty of money to eat or drink, you'd never see a smile or kindness on their faces, so I recommend you learn Spanish or at least French. The beach was clean, but we did not like the cold water and the waves, as we mostly go soft sand dream beaches, where the sea is not cold or deep and you never see a wave..The send as we were told was afric sand, because all Costa Brava costline was not what it is nowadays, but it was adopted in the 50's in order to attract tourists, so i recommend you buy some quality shoeware. You will never be served a drink on the beach, as the beach is not private, and they have never heard of frappe/ice coffee, or nuts appetisants...However we had trips to Barcelona, we've seen Gaudi art, the magic fountain,the port , Guell Park, museums, gothic quart..and that was the most amazing thing we'll remember..next time we decide to go Spain, we'll go to the west coast and feel the real Spanish spirit.

Reviewed 13 August 2010

Have just returned from a week at this alleged four star hotel. Don't know were to start in listing the bad points. The decor is dated, the pool too small for the number of guests, pool surrounds are reminiscent of holiday camp in the 70's( which I suspect was when the poolside furniture was bought ), the food was dreadful and to add insult to injury you had to queue for it, you could die of thirst before you got served at the bar on the evening (you don't even have the compensation of enjoying the so called entertainment, whilst waiting in the queue, let's just say every
expense has been spared)!
All this I could cope with if only I was guaranteed a good nights sleep, sadly that was all but impossible due to a combination of rowdy teenagers and incredibly thin Walls between rooms.
Bar staff were surly, seemed to delight in discriminating against children waiting in line at the bar and were, by and large, unhelpful.
On a positive note the hotel is but a short walk from a fantastic beach, there are many decent enough eateries nearby( an important consideration given the quality of the food in the hotel), the rooms were cleaned daily with clean towels provided most days( however the towels could also be used to strip paint so rough were they). To summarise if you have a choice don't go!

Reviewed 7 August 2010

We have quite literally just stepped off the plane returning from holiday at the Royal Beach in Lloret. I have written this review so quickly, because, having booked the holiday "blind" as it were, the reviews on this site scared me half to death when I read them before leaving!

Negatives first, the decor is slightly "faded", nothing serious, and considering how busy the hotel gets, hardly surprising. That's it, no more negatives!

The hotel during our stay was packed! The staff remained friendly and helpful, the standards of cleanliness were maintained to a high level, the food was well cooked, and, considering that it is served buffet style exclusively, well thought out and presented. Some dishes (ie. chips) did appear every day, but as the hotel was full of children, I would consider that quite understandable. The full menu was different every day, with two "feature menus" during the week and plenty of variety. As to thin walls, we had little trouble with noise, barring the odd noisy late night group returning to the hotel, but I've experienced that in nearly every resort hotel I have ever been to, and in any country, including the UK.

My group consisted of two teenaged boys (18 and 16), myself (56) and my new bride (41) and my mother aged 83 and in a wheelchair! We all enjoyed our stay and will return, probably next year.

As a final note, on all inclusive, one person may only get two drinks (one for a second person using their id card) at one time. To get more, it is quite correct that you have to que again. I asked the hotel manager (nice chap, good english) the reason. He was quite open about the fact that it is done that way, simply to prevent the guests who only want to sit and drink all day getting too inebriated.

2  Thank Dippergt750
Reviewed 6 August 2010

There's plenty of reviews on this site saying this hotel aint a 4 star.......ok may be not quite but ive just got back with my two boys aged 14 and 11 and my girlfriend and her children aged 13 and 11 and had a really great time...it's what you make it . Reception staff helpful nothing to much trouble.....we were given a room on the 5th floor which was fine...there are 3 lifts so access was not an issue . The room itself was good , the rooms were cleaned and beds made every day , the bathroom all be it on the small size was clean and served it's purpose . We were All inclusive and found all the food at all the meals times good , we had a spanish night , Italian night and a German night so the variety was ok . The Bar staff were friendly and liked to joke and have a laugh . The pool was good...but we did find if you chose the upper tier to sunbathe there was a slight sewer smell but not all the time............The life guard was spot on...definately no stupidity from the older teenagers , it just wasnt tolerated . The best beach was the nearest beach which was only 200m away.......Good holiday and for the Price a good hotel.....it's definately a really good 3 star.............

1  Thank jonnydontsurf