“Not good but not bad”

Hotel Garbi
Ranked #101 of 124 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
“Not good but not bad”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Well where do I start? You get what you pay for I suppose it's cheap! I don't recommend this hotel for people travelling with kids . It's very noisy gets very hit outside and there's absolutely nothing to do with kids

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lana L
grangarbi, Director General at Hotel Garbi, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
I' m very sorry about your disappointing stay in our hotel. I guess you had a low floor or basement room. Sometimes if a room is not used for a while in the lower floors we can have this problem. The building is old, we have pest controls every month held by a specialised company but sometimes it happens. Even if you walk on the street at night there are cockroaches due to all the dirt tourists throw everywere.If you would have complained at reception for sure we would have moved you to another room, even maybe to another (better) hotel.
Every year we buy new beds, this could also have been solved by changing you or bringing new beds...
As you might have noticed, the majority of guests are young people wich does not always respect furniture , jumps on beds, break or scratch things... its hard to handle. Maybe guests before you broke the bed and the cleaner forgot to tell us...
With young people french fries is a must on any meal time. But we have always variety of food.
But in any case, please let us know if something is wrong at the moment its wrong or you are not happy with it. Now you have a bad experience and we can´t help it anymore.

Regards and i appologize for the experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

having just got back i have to say hotel clean pool good staff good but no air con so you have to leave windows open if its warm the resort is packed with the younger end mainly from russia and france and so is the hotel its very noisy not had much sleep lots in the hotel too my advice would be if your young fine its great so is the resort if your of a age were u like it quiet do not go here in july august september

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank roundy65
grangarbi, Director de Recepción at Hotel Garbi, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Thank you very much for your review.

At least one review were not everything is bad :).
Well, we try to do ourbests with the budget we have. I am sorry that we could not match your expectations. Lloret is noisy at nights, its a pity, but it is like that. Too much nightlife.
What surprises me a bit, is that in September it is much more quieter than in july/august. I do not have so many complaints about noise than in the high season. And at the moment, we have many travelers from any country: Belgium, France, England, Italy, Russia...
And no, we do not have air conditioning. We do not sell the hotel with this facility.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed here last aug and was worried as had read a lot of bad reviews.i read the pool was like a swomp! It was not at all.very clean!languge barrier was a problem when trying to talk to staff,some were rude but some very nice.room was basic but what I expected.bathroom a little dirty.:( food was worst I've ever had! The smell the look the taste was disgusting! We walked in then straight out and ate out everyday as there's plenty of choice in the town. The noise was terrible all night long! So noisy you are unable to sleep and doesn't stop til about 5.00am. Full of teenagers mostly German who shout bang climb over balconys,bang on doors at night and generally make a pest of their self.ive been to other hotels in same area and this is by far the worst for noise! Location is great though right in the middle of the main area and 5 min from beach!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Roseylips
grangarbi, Director de Recepción at Hotel Garbi, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Good afternoon,

Thanks for your review. The swimming pool is cleaned every day, the problem could be that people (mainly young in that period as you have seen), jump in the swimming pool every time, dont take a shower before bathing and of course, dont clean the tanning oils or creams they use. This might be the reason. We take analitics every single day in the moring to control the water. And once a month an external enterprise (Altimir) takes samples of the water and analyzes it in laboratories. I can proof it if you wish. Swimming pool is one of the best points in this hotel because we do have it in a 2* hotel, we have sunbeds and also parasols for free. Pity that you do not value this plus.

As i said in other reviews, if you were not happy with cleanliness of the room you could have said it at reception, we would have made it better and check it with housekeeping. All daily receptionists speak english.

About the food, we have buffet, wich means several dishes of cold and warm plates. Also we have a selection of desserts.

At last, the noise, I agree with it, july and august its very difficult to control the young people wich come to Lloret to enjoy the nightlife and beaches. Usually at nights alcohol is involved so keep them calm its rather difficult. Every morning, when I arrive, I have a list of rooms from the night guard, where he explaines me what happened. So, at 10 am, all this youngsters wich have caused trouble and noise they get a warning about their behaviour. Depending on the severity of their attitude I invite them to leave the hotel.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 23 August 2013

If you have children STAY AWAY!! The hotel is advertised as family friendly..... Anything but to be honest. The rooms were clean enough if not in the small side. No air con, tv or fridge which I think are a must. No high chair in the dining room for my toddler.

Food - shall I even go there... One evening we were served raw sausages yes you read correctly they were raw inside!!!! Nothing was done to correct this. The food in general was bland and unappetising. You had to pay for your evening drinks and you are NOT ALLOWED to bring your own!!

Lets just say if you want an 19-30's holiday then Llorett is the place. If you want a family holiday with things for the kids to do then stay away

• Stayed August 2013
grangarbi, Manager at Hotel Garbi, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
After reading your review, we must agree that the hotel in july and august can be noisy during the nights because of the young people wich are on holiday. Lloret has a big night life and all hotels have the same problem during this period.
As you know, this is a 2* hotel, we do not need to have air conditioning, fans, fridge or tv. It is not necessary by spanish law, and we do not sell the hotel with this facilities.
About cleanliness of the room, if you were not happy with it you could always have said it at reception and we would have taken mesures about it.
In the restaurant we do have high chairs. It surprises me that you complain about it. They are blue and you just need to ask the waitresses.
I remember personally the case of the sausages, because you actually talked to me and you showed me the picture. You were in front when I told the chef and spoke to him. It was a mistake of the kitchen and you were right. We are really sorry about that mistake and it has not happened again. After this, you aked for a compensation and I explained you that we do not work so. We work with buffet, and there is always choice to eat as much as you want. By the way, after all this, i spoke with the headwaiter and he told me that the sausages were taken away.
About drinks, in all hotels and restaurants its NOT ALLOWED, to take your own drinks. We have it advertised at the entrance of the restaurant, at the bar and at the swimming pool. I'm aware that you tried several times to take juice and water into the restaurant, and we did allow it becaue it was supposed to be "for the children". But the sangrias wich were bought at the supermarket and you drunk at the bar, in front of everybody, we had to forbidd it. We are sorry, but we can not allow guests to do this because as any business, we have to make money. What sense would it make to have a bar at the hotel?

Travellers are raving about these Lloret de Mar hotels

Rhuddlan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

First view of the hotel was the approach up a narrow street, not inviting at all. Check in was ok, guy on reception seemed helpful up to a point. /the room was small and overlooked the pool area of the Garbi Park hotel, karaoke every night so very noisy. The food was awful with very little variety and mostly cold. Generally, we found the staff polite and helpful. Not many people to talk to unless fluent in Russian. Lloret as a resort was overcrowded, very noisy with nothing more than bars, pizza places and burger bars. Never again !!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bobl255
grangarbi, Manager at Hotel Garbi, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Good afternoon,
Thank you for your review. In general Lloret is noisy in summer due to the young people wich have summer holidays (July and August) In fact, you were here in the middle of the high season. Everything is adapted to them during that period, that is the reason of fast food, bars,...

If you were not happy with the room you could have come to reception and we could have tried to change you the room, maybe not the same day because hotel could be full, but next day in the morning. We change people from rooms continuously. Some people want view, other high floor,...
About the food, we try to have variety because we have buffet, and the warm buffet has a thermometer wich indicates 65ºC. We can not make it hotter because if the food lasts too long on the plate, it would get dry. This is the recommended temperature.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

First of all the resort is terrible, Lloret De Mar is stuck in the 70's and doesnt have any up to date hotels or pubs. Would have been the in place 40 years ago, im sure! Everyone we met in the resort said the same things about their hotels (very dated and rundown)

Location: The hotel is close to the main strip however when being dropped off by the airport transfer and dumped in the middle of nowhere it proved how difficult it was to find (especially when theres three hotels called hotel Garbi!!).

Hotel: The hotel is old, dated and not very clean. The room is ridiculously basic and very old fashioned. we had a old wooden bed with sheets with cigarette burns in them. The balconys are so unsafe we didnt like sitting out on them (so be wary if you are planning on taking children to the hotel).

Hotel food: we went on a half board basis, breakfast was ok (little greasy but not bad enough to complain), evening meals seemed to be leftovers from lunch times (mainly fish dishes were on the menu).

Language barriers also seemed an issue, none of the staff could understand us!

All in all i would rate the hotel and holiday a 1/5. Very disappointed when we arrived (to the extent of me crying because we had to stay at the hotel for a week).

Stay well away if you have children and if youre a couple go anywhere else but here! you will regret it!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Holidaymakerroyc
grangarbi, Manager at Hotel Garbi, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Good afternoon,

Lloret de Mar is famous for its beaches & nightlife. In particular, in my opinion Lloret has plenty of choice in hotels (more than 100) in a relative small town (42.000 population), and also many pubs, bars, restaurants and clubs. Maybe it was more a question of choosing a better/modern hotel, or another destination.

Location: We are 2 streets away from the main street (75 mts). In this street usually transfers arrive and depart, so at maximum, you must have walked 100 mts. Its also the street with the main clubs and nightlife. But in any case, we do not have anything to do with your transfer service wich you bought on your own. So about that, you have to adress yourself to where you bought it.

Hotel: Hotel is old and basic that is correct (it was build in late 1960), and some rooms are better or refubished than others. Better views than others... there are always better rooms than others in any hotel. We do not sell anything wich we do not have (maybe better info about the hotel would have prevented your disappointment). We try to keep it clean, if you were not happy with cleanliness you could always have said it at reception to do something about it. Sometimes people think it is dirty but its just old or worn (mainly the floor). About the cigarette burn in the sheet, we could have changed it if you would have said it. Sometimes, with the rush, me can make mistakes and not see them. The balconys are all safe. They are all between 1.10 and 1.15 cm high. I do not understand this complaint...(and no one had never complained about this).

Food: Everything is served in "buffet", cold, hot & desserts. There is always choice. We try to adjust at maximum what we cook and for how many people to avoid leftovers as you say knowing how many people we have on each meal basis on each service.

Languages: All receptinists do speak english (better or worse depends on each one), but they do understand. 2 speak french. Italian is easy because it is simmilar to spanish. German basics. And in my case, i speak 6 languages (Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Dutch, English), so if there is anything they call me to deal with the people.

In my opinion, your expectations where much higher than what you really reserved and what you probabily payed. If you would have came to reception, to tell us all your matters, we could have tried to move you to another hotel of the same chain. Or maybe have informed your travel agency to find a solution?? Other thing wich i do not understad, is if you stayed in September 2012, why you write on April 2013??

In any case, I am sorry that you had a bad time in the hotel and in Lloret.

London
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Whene we arrived first thing was to go shopping for bleach to clean. Shower was discusting dirthy, mildew. Original shower curtain was white colour but that was gray from the mildew. I ask the reception to change the curtain. (Next day thay change it)
So i start my holiday with big cleaning. We was 2 weeks and they changed the bed once. Towel change about every 3th-4th days. We was on half board and only thing what i did like is the food. Our budget was short, so if you can accept cleaning to do yourself and you are not very fussy and if you don't spend your most time in hotel is ok but myself definitely not going back this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple