“Very decent hotel with very friendly staff. excellent facilities, diverse menu serving well prepared local dishes” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of H.TOP Royal Star & SPA

H.TOP Royal Star & SPA
Ranked #85 of 127 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Welcome to my #fussyblogger review. Please be advised my review will be strictly impartial as I report it as I had experienced it. I am not a regular reviewer who is out to spite the hard work of service advisors, however the truth need be told whomever it may favour. The whole point of the review process I belive is to both, applaude those that make an effort to provide a up to standard service and hopefully assist the underated gain their well deserved recognition. If there is a slight negativity in this review I hope it assists in terms of improvement. My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel on an all inclusive basis, Admittedly it wasnt the best time of the year to go to Spain, it being the end of January / early February therefore, it was bitterly cold. All i have to say it was brilliant. The staff had utmost respect for our requirements, especially the house keeping staff. Not the usual harrasement you receive first thing in the morning after a heavy night. They efficiency of their staff is second to none. One cannot fault the locally brewed drinks as its what one would expect to get anywhere so that is a strict matter of taste. In terms of the buffet, there is a vast selection on the menu that caters to most palates. Oddly enough, however, logically, the kitchen adapt the menu to accomodate the nationale majority of guests. In our case, we had a good taste of german cuisine. I am a rather extreme optimist therefore, had no quams with it all. My girlfriend seemed to prefer a night or two out in a restuarant elsewhere to break the monotony. The hotel has a lovely pool, unfortuantely it isnt heated. We had actually booked the holiday on lastminute dot com, but got annoyed to get a confirmation email from lowcost holidays which offered the same holiday for half the price. Though last minute have a price guarantee offer if repoerted within 24 hours, which we did! To this day we havent seen a penny. The point of that little rant is at the last minute we had our hotel changed to The Royal Star Hotel without the heated pool and Spa facilities we had originally booked for. Didnt get into the pool the whole time. In the summer its probably a different story. There is a lovely pub / club directly opposite the hotel called The Robin Hood (Cliche I know) that was strictly the only source of afer hours entertainment at that time of the year. Strangely enough we came accross another club round the corner that turned out to be a brothel. Can ones imagine the shock! We met some lovely people that have become good friends. Majority of visitors tend to be scousers and from Manchester because the deals promoted are best priced from Liverpool John Lennon Airport hence the coincidence. The hotel has a novelty shop for curios etc, however, it is a bit steep on pricing. The internet facility for a euro for 15min seems reasonable enough for an emergency. Its located a good walk from the beach, so a taxi seemed a better idea to get there, but the 20 euro fare for one way got too much for us. The best thing about it though is there is a reliable bus service that can take you to the locla beach and strip, although the service stops quite early at around 10pm. Pentimately, it is good value for money, the rooms are immaculate. they have managed to maintain a good balance for budget and service overall. Would we go and stay there again? Only in the summer.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are better otherwise one is deprived of all day sunshine and pool view is probably be...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

First impression of the hotel on arrival - There were 4 stars above the enterance, 3 were yellow, one was white, so I interpreted it as a 3 star hotel and everything was just fine. If you think it's a four star hotel you will get hot and bothered for nothing.
Last year I went to the Costa Del Sol, Torremolinos, we received champagn on arrival and Smoked salmon and prawns were on the buffet every day, caviar on a few days - That was 4 Star! Here I found a few prawns in the paella, the fish dishes were Hake or Mackeral ( low end fish) Pork and fish were on the buffet most days, pigs trotters one day! Mussels on a saturday (fish themed buffet). Basically the food was the similar every day, plenty of choice and tons of it, but after 3 days I started eating out.

I had a room with a view of the Cemetary! Now that sounds a bit off, but the architecture on view at this cemetry is amazing!

The Spanish staff were superb, the place was clean, no problems at all. There were lots of elderly French and Spanish, which is always a good sign, a few Brits, Dutch and Russians.

If I was to be critical, the carpets in the upper halls were grubby, but muffled the stampeed of guests and there were 500+, therefore, getting a table for dinner was difficult and building a raport with staff was hard as they were rushed off their feet.

I went full board, perhaps 50% were All Inclusive, I'm glad I wasn't All In because the queues for drinks were horrendous, for little glasses.

The hotel had a small gym ( a bit battered) table tennis, pool, 3 or 4 small out door pools an indoor grotto of a pool and 2 jacuzzi's (great for kids) and a small play ground.( we also used a 25m leisure centre pool about 300m away)

Weather was sunny and warm or torrential down pours, the resort flooded one night and the smell from the drains was awful. It was "ironic" to see shops leaking and the chaos that ensued, I thought it was just in England everything fell apart when the weather was adverse. My son went swimming in the sea and was sick that night, apart from that we were all healthy and fit, really refreshing after a holiday in Egypt.

Travelled to Barcelona (Bus)- Fantastic, but heaving with tourists, all shuffling along at market pace, queing for everything. Sagrada Familia (Basilica) had a queue 5 thick all the way around the 4 blocks! Perhaps several cruise liners docked in the time I was there.
Travelled to Girona (Bus) a really pleasant surpise, it was like a mini Alambra at the top, plus there were carp upto 40lb in the river taking bread off the top!
The highlight for me was Figueres (car) to see S. Dali museum - WOW, wow and wow, I was more impressed with Dali than Gaudi : a revelation.

The Hotel is in Lloret de Mar, a concrete sprawl of high rise hotels down hill to the beach (10 minutes), but also close to Fennals.
I really enjoyed the holiday, I booked it at short notice, for half term, and it was cheaper than anything I've booked for years, so I think I had very good value.
I think the Costa Brava is a bit run down compared to the Costa del Sol and cooler, naturally.
I know it was the end of the season, but a lot of shops looked like they had been closed for months, it was really very quiet, nothing like the post cards.
The only sad part for me was that most shop keepers were either Indian or Pakistani ( all friendly and helpful enough) and many waiters were Eastern European ( all good at their job) so the place lacked a real Spanish feel to it - perhaps because it's Catalan not Spanish ? But this observation alone must go someway to understand why there is 20% unemployment and pick pocketing and mugging in Barcelona in rife.
Would I recommend it? Well it's OK, but Italian cities have an edge over Barcelona and the south of Spain is cleaner. But if it's cheaper, it's still a great destination.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the lifts/stairs to reduce noise and volume of people passing by.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

I have just spent 7 days at the H Top Royal Star.

The Good points:
1. the hotel is clean, and an ok state of repair
2. a large slection of food at the all inclusive, plus snacks in between meals
3. staff friendly and polite
4. 10 minute walk to the beach
5. the resort is good for a 7 day break
6. I question the star rating but think the standard is normal for spain.
7. a good hotel for families
8. I have raised bad points but still thought our time was ok, but would not return to the hotel

bad points:

1.the hotel could do with an update, its listed as a 4star, I think its more of a three star
2. no double bed in our room, two singles which we needed to push together
3. the staff whilst friendly, show limited ability to help with day to day issues
4. the selection of food is large, BUT every day appears to be a variation of the food from the day before, you get very quickly bored with the food. Most of the guests started eating at least one meal out after a few days
5. The snacks are the same every day (esentially hot dog, burgers and chips), they are not freshly made before you, but fried up and then out on a hot plate.
6. the hotel transfer takes over 1hr (close to 1hr 20 min) from the airport. This is because the coach drops off at every hotel (this is not great after the flight and you have young kids). I would note the travel agent said it would take only 30 min.
7. on arriving at the hotel you need to pay 20 euros deposit for the TV remote control.
8. you need to pay 25 euro's for the room safe, plus 10 euro's deposit for the key.
9. there is a scale in the lobby to weigh suitcases - which you have to pay 1euro per case!
10. the alcoholic drinks are all 20% proof, meaning you really need to order doubles
11. all of the alcoholic drinks are own brand, and really taste awful. A lot of clients started paying for their drinks when they were on the all inconclusive to buy branded drinks.
12. there is an odd arrangements where you can only get a drink if you initially provide a card to the bar staff, they then give you a drink in a plastic glass, to get subsequent drinks you need to return your glass. At the end of the day you need to return your glass to get your card back. If you lose your card, or forget to swop your glass back for your drink card, you will need to pay 2 euros for a new one. The hotel suggest this is an environmental policy??? This appears to me just to put a barrier in the way to get drinks.
13. entertainment - had staff who tried there best, but was quite poor

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Del H
Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

Not a 4* hotel cannot see how they can possibly call it that, food was warm and boring, staff on reception were good but bar and catering staff were not helpfull, never in a rush to serve drinks as they were not taking any money, plastic cups were sharp to drink out of, entertainment more suited for the over 70's. it was a cheap holiday and you definately get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Lloret de Mar hotels

Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

13th_20th october we arrived at the airport to find that the hotel Alexis we had booked was closed and taken to the Cassino royal to find that we were upgraded to the royal star in which they got us a taxi. walked in to the lobby what a pleasure sent to our rooms great very comfortable cleaner was great nothing went missing as we had no lock on the safe, room and sheets changed everyday .Food was great something for all well cooked and presented nicely, staff great except one barman looked like he didnt want to be there but we wern't bothered.Tv we got BBC1 and2 without the remote as we didn't go to watch tv so was sufficient.Guest were friendly mixed ages, there was a lack of entertainment on a night we made our own, overall would reccomend it and will go back.had a great time.

Room Tip: all walls are thin take a room at the end of the higher floors so no one can pass you
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank justthebiz
Swindon UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

Royal star
Lloret de mar

I went with two friends male and female for a short four night break just to have a bit of sun and a few drinks. So for the price we payed we where not expecting the ritz.

After a two hour transfer to go to the 35 km to our hotel we walked into a rather nice lobby and where greeted by two very nice and friendly Lady's who explained how the hotel worked in regards the all inclusive options. We then went in search of our rooms. We walked around the corner to find the massive que for the dinning room our initial thoughts being wow the food here must be fantastic to have so many queing for lunch (something we where wrong about but more on that later) we found our rooms which to be fair where spotlessly clean and did the job of a place to sleep and get ready adequitly only down side was the tv is on the wall and so small I didn't even see it for two days(I was arguing with my friends that there wasn't one in the room) down side about the room was you had to pay €20 deposit to hire the remote for the tv. And the safe which looked like it came from the Spanish inquisition with a key that must have been two foot long cost €25 a week plus a €10 returnable deposit.

We came down for lunch and to be honest I can't see why anyone would que for what was on offer it was truly dyer (now I am not a fussy eater generally if I can fill my belly I am happy) we deliberately booked a 4 star hotel as between us we have been to this part of Spain 8 times and we have defiantly learnt the food is much much better in the 4 star hotels and worth the extra £ 20-30. But this hotel is the exception after lunch I didn't even both going down for dinner. To be honest I was glad I didn't as my friends said there was nothing at all that was edible. I consoled myself thinking I will wait for breakfast which in Spain I generally enjoy, it usually being the worst type of bacon and fried eggs. Well they didn't let me down on the bacon but there was no fried eggs!!! So I ended up with a bacon sandwich. I was tempted to try the mountain of chips(shows the quality of this hotel I have never ever seen chips for breakfast and they had them every day) lunch that day was again indelible so we decided to try the mid afternoon snacks yum yum or so we thought basically it was leftovers from lunch and one day even the bacon from breakfast laid out with no heating so it was stone cold, but the fantastic minds that operate this hotel had at least left out a microwave have you ever tasted microwaved rubber chips before? If not I wouldn't recommend it. Ok enough about the food all I will say is it is terrible and that is being generous that is unless you like chips and to be fair after the first day they did have fried eggs well on two of the four days, ok they were cooked the night before and laid out and were stone cold but at least we had fried eggs I last stayed at the Pineda palace and the food there was some of the best I have had at an all inclusive hotel.

Ok the drinks where ok but let down by a couple of things
1) the bar staff I can honestly say I have never met a bunch of men that where so miserable I don't think they have been payed for months. They have a tip jar on the counter, but I don't think they liked my tip, of try smiling you gits
2) the drinks are served in tiny plastic beakers, when we booked in reception said that during the day they used plastic beakers as most people where around the pool and broken glass and bare feet are not a good combination, which is a fair comment but we never got a glass even in the evening, the only people with glasses where the ones that paid for there drinks.
3) now this really did annoy us you can only get two drinks at a time even with the three cards they would not give more then two drinks so this ment two of us having to que up every time we wanted a drink this only led to bigger queues and longer waits. I even asked at reception to be told that she didn't know why this was and commented why does everyone go to reception with there problems( ummm hello your reception) her resolution was to ring the bar duhhh?

So to sum up

Would we return : not even if you paid me, but I do have a few enemy's that I will be recommending this hotel to. We met a couple from the royal casino that spent there days in our hotel as there's was so bad I really can't imagine how bad theirs must have been.

Only good points are the hotel is very clean the rooms and the public toilets being spotless.

If your thinking of coming to the royal star ( mind boggles to what royalty stay here) think again. I think the H top chain are struggling as the Alexis is closed (we were informed on the flight that this was due to rats) and the quality of this so called 4 star hotel is appalling. Maybe they should think of renaming the H tops to the H flops.

Room Tip: If you enjoy good food and service give this one a miss.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Banchory, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

Just back from a fantastic weekend at the Royal Star. Again after reading previous reviews we were a bit worried but there was nothing to worry about at all. Our welcome was great and we were in our room about 5 mins after our arrival. The room was great and very clean.
The food was brilliant and there was something for everyone even our fussy 12 year old son. We spent a lot of time at the beach which is beautiful and very close to the hotel so we missed out on the poolside banter which did seem loud at times but hey everyone was on holiday and having fun. Our room was given a thorough clean daily which was great and all staff were very friendly and made a fuss of the children.
You get what you pay for but because we booked with Low Cost Holidays we feel we got a wee bit more than we paid for it was great We will be back without a doubt!!
If you are reading this a bit unsure of booking to go I would say go for it after all a holiday is what you make it. :)

Room Tip: A poolside room may be very noisy during the day and evening as the entertainment is loud. We had a...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
#13 of 21 in Santa Susanna
H.TOP Pineda Palace
H.TOP Pineda Palace
#5 of 17 in Pineda de Mar

Been to H.TOP Royal Star & SPA? Share your experiences!