“Just what we expected and paid for”

H.TOP Royal Star & SPA
Ranked #84 of 124 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We were on our family holiday vacation in Lloret de Mar. We chose this hotel because it is a little bit outside the main nightlife strip of Lloret and the price was good. This is our sixth or seventh trip to Spain, so we know what to expect from such a type of hotels in a major tourist resort. So I don't understand people complaining on noise, youth (I was also with 2 small children, 6 and 11 y), crowd,... Lloret is a party resort so you must count on that. But it is also a good base for discovering the region of Costa Brava and Barcelona of course. It is a resort with hundreds of hotels so anyone can find something suitable. That's about Lloret, now the hotel.
First of all, book directly at the HTOP website, it was around 100 euros cheaper than on booking.com and other travel sites for 10 nights for a family of 4. Choose FULL board, it is slightly more expensive than halfboard (maybe 70 euros for the whole stay) so you can eat if you get up later. I don't know about ALL inclusive, I personally don't like it because it keeps you tightened with the hotel, while we like to stroll around. But I heard people complaining about the quantity and quality of drinks, not to mention the queus I saw.
The hotel is on the main road, and it's less than 10 min walk from downtown Lloret. This makes it little bit quiter. The hotel is very big and there are only two lifts, so it's better to use stairs.
Rooms are OK, the one we got was spacious with a balcony overlooking the pool. They changed towels and the room was cleaned every day. The only thing I didn't like is that you have to pay for the safe which is in the room (7 euros per day if I remember correctly).
Food was very good, all three meals. Breakfast with salamis, cheese, cereals, jams,... For lunch and dinner, there were always 2 soups, cold and hot starters, two kinds of meat and two kinds of fish, plenty of side dishes and salads. Deserts and fruit also.
There are 2 pools, pretty small for the hotel size, and there was an unsufficient number of sun beds and umbrellas, but that's in my opinion, almost normal even for much bigger and better hotels. After 10 am you cannot find free ones.
There are many activities organized by staff for everyone, from sport to dancing, from morning till nights with shows. There are also game rooms, pool tables,...
If you rent a car, there is a BIG problem with parking, you must circle around for free space.
Very important, but also if you have a car, you can ask on the reception to give you a voucher for tomorrows lunch in some other HTOP hotel along the Costa Brava, so you can spend a day in another town and explore it, what we did.
All in all, we think it is an average spanish big tourist hotel, with good service and good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank B1714D
There are newer reviews for H.TOP Royal Star & SPA

Reviewed 27 November 2012

Cheap break, cheap hotel, got what we paid for.

Beware the all inclusive drinks. When you check in you get two cards. One to prove you are all inclusive, and another 'glass' card. What this means is you cannot get more than one drink per person at any time, so you have for example one small beer, then have to join the queue for another small beer. Works well for the hotel, and must cut down alcohol abuse, and usage, and their costs and cleaning. Not well impressed with this.

Food was basic, but was edible. Breakfast was dire though. Plenty of salads, which was fine for us, but very limited choice.

Indoor pool was cold, very cold, and jacuzzi luke warm.

Our balcony............ well, we've never seen anything like it! Nice view - for the people getting out of the lift, or walking to the bar, who looked straight onto our balcony. No privacy at all. We had to have curtains drawn at all times, as people could look right into the room as well. Room 131 - AVOID!!!

Staff - they were OK. Could have been friendlier - could not fault room service.

1  Thank BrianAndMaggie
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We booked here recently for a 3 night break. As we didn't have much time to research and had to decide quickly were to go we opted here as it was cheap and we were on a budget and we also read a few positive reviews. We chose to ignore the bad reviews- I mean we Brits do like a moan and you can't please everyone can you? BIG MISTAKE!!
We arrived after an hour or so transfer we were relieved to arrive. Until we got to the lobby it was packed- long queues to check in. Finally got to our room. Room looked ok, then to open the curtains- The view was diabolical. Simply a huge dirty cracked wall with a road above. Sadly from there things didn't get any better.

The food is terrible- Really. If you didn't like salads you had Reheated chips, stale bread, cold fried eggs ,overcooked chicken, it goes on really. They do have a snack bar open between breakfast and lunch then lunch and dinner with a small amount of salad and more reheated chips, dried up hotdogs and the most disgusting burgers I've ever seen. I'm by no means a fussy eater and didn't expect amazing food considering how cheap it was but I at least expected some standard but it was appalling. Even in the dining rooms it was a nightmare. Empty tables with left overs that took ages to get cleaned. My girlfriend could rarely find milk out for her cereal. We were on a budget but found we had to avoid the food as much as possible and eat out. The resort is very quiet this time of year with lots of places closed so places were hard to spot- we had to have a MacDonalds one night but this was much better than the food at the hotel.

On to the drinks system. You have to queue with two cards.. let them swipe one and they keep the other till you return your glass (a long, thin plastic cup around 250mil or you can have glass indoors but has to be a half pint) Its annoying really having to keep going up and you have to queue again to get your card back. I asked if I could have a pint but it wasn't allowed. The card system is cleaver- for THEM as it saves having to employ a glass collector! It wasn't bad if it was quiet but busy it was just a palaver so we ended up going to the bars down the road- Not free beer but cheap, in a proper pint glass ,a much nicer atmosphere and free wi fi (not free at the hotel of course)
The staff aren't the rudest of people but be nice if they made an effort to smile more and make you feel more welcomed.

Being November it was too cool to use the pool. We checked out the indoor pool located in the basement. First glance it looked Ok but as we tested the water- wasn't heated- freezing! Jacuzzi was only lukewarm. The are no lifeguards at this time of year (it does say) and I trod on a small piece of metal. I was lucky not to slice my foot open. As lots of people have mentioned the walls are thin, you can hear people coughing next door. At one point I was coughing and pretty sure they could hear me. And yes you can hear people in the corridor. We then got to last day we had 7 hours after we checked out to wait for our transfer. Went to get a coke at lunch time and they took our green cards of us.. no more drinks- how kind!
I know its cheap but still you expect some sort of standard considering its a 4 star hotel. We went to a 3 star in Turkey last year 7 nights AI for not a great deal more money and it was of much better standard than this.

Positives? I honestly can't think of any other than the price and a few about the area. As mentioned before Lloret is very quiet this time of year but we saw a couple of nice bars with friendly people and more edible food and cheap beer. The beach was nice as well as the old town. I think during the summer the area would be a lot better but don't think I'll return and absolutely no way to any HTOP hotel.

4  Thank Steve D
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Just returned home after staying at the htop royal star for 1 week. I was so glad this was not my main holiday. I was originaly booked in at the htop royal beach, got changed to the royal star. I met lots of other couples who were transferd also. Well where do i begin, rooms cleaned and towels changed every day.lovely good sized room, basic but nice. Next the food was disgusting, i usually eat anything if its cooked for me, but i found at this hotel i survived on soup and a roll, chips which i had to force down. then rice pudding. I always read the views, but i make my own opinions. Trust me dont go unless you have money to waste. The staff in all areas were very misserable and made us feel like they didnt have the time for us, people from other countries were treated lots better. Its the first time ive been away for 1 week alinclsive and come back and found i had lost weight.The holiday was disasterous from start to finish, this was also the opinion of many other guests. Its made me wonder it this chain of hotels will disapear in the near future. i could go on, but people will have to visit the hotel themselves and decide if they have wasted well earned money, Once they get your money they couldnt care less

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank goforitStokeOnTrent
Reviewed 16 November 2012

went with my husband for 5 nights in the royal star definately not a 4 star, i booked this hotel because it is a H top hotel so i thought we could use other H tops in this area but they have all been closed for the season, not many bars open too this time of year, the food in the hotel was a bit hit and miss, its ok if you like pork , chicken or chips, the allinclusive hotel gave you a green card to go to the bar with you could only get one drink at a time you got your card back when you took your glass back, i dont think this would be good in high season, the entertainment was a lot of spanish music, had karioki one night which was good, i did enjoy this holiday, thats because of the people we met in the hotel,some nights we played killer pool or cards, theres a bar over the road from the hotel called Carpe Diem where we went a few times great atmospher, nice pint of cider for 4 euros, all in all it was the people we met that made it an enjoyable holiday

Room Tip: ask for a pool view, or you could end up, facing the cemortery, or a brick wall
Reviewed 7 November 2012

6 of us stayed here 3/11/12 for all inclusive weekend.. we had a ball, not one member of staff was rude all smiled and polite. entertainment is geared mainly for the spanish ballroom dancers but hey just join in. no problem with the card system for drinks, it keeps your table clear. food overall was nice always something for most people, my hubby wasnt that impressed they use to many herbs/oils for him. rooms nice cleaned regular our cleaner was lovely. can be noisy walls are not the thickest. indoor pool was nice. so it was a great little cheap weekend and would prob go again

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Stayed in here for 5 nights. Staff are ok , had a bit of trouble with a noisy neighbour, when i approched reception they were really helpful and calmed them down apart from that i got some sleep. Food is not the best, can be a little dry at times or waterlogged. Bingo in the afternoons was a laugh. evening entertainment i thin really did CATER FOR THE ELDERLY. Main strip is just around the corner. The most frustrating thing was having a card and plastic glass that you need to show everytime you need a drink. I went in october and yes you would need a pair of jeans and a warm jumper for the chilly evenings.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room close to the bar and pool as it can get loud. top floor would be ideal and may...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
#20 of 32 in Platja d'Aro
Hotel Acapulco Lloret de Mar
Hotel Acapulco Lloret de Mar
#15 of 124 in Lloret de Mar

Been to H.TOP Royal Star & SPA? Share your experiences!