“very good”

H.TOP Royal Star & SPA
Ranked #82 of 124 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
Reviewed 26 June 2014

After lots of viewing decided that no hotel is without some kind of negative comments so booked htop royal star hotel. 1st thing is don,t get confused with royal beach just close by as I did when we arrived in Lloret de Mar after a lenthy transfer.I would strongly recomend if you arrive during the daytime without young children to make your way by train/bus as the transfer to Lloret is a real drag with the coach having to go up and down lots of narrow streets. It took us around 2 hours 15 mins going and 2 hours 45 mins on return which was longer than the flight from Glasgow Prestwick. The good points of the hotel are good hard working staff. The resteraunt is well run with a very good choice and good times to eat.The bar staff are also on the whole very good. There were many german youths older french and families of spaniards when we stayed. I didn,t mind but my 13 year old son was a bit bored until he met 1 or 2 brits of his own age after 3 or 4 days.The biggest negative apart from the transfer was it could get a little noisy after 12 but my son had no problems sleeping through. Basic room no fridge but as we were all inclusive didn,t mind to much. Room tidied every day with clean towels. Overall enjoyed my week at the Royal Star

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank jamesforwell
HTOPHotels, Director Comercial at H.TOP Royal Star & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear James Forwell.

I was thrilled to read your comments following your recent stay with us at the HTOP ROYAL STAR. I was delighted that you and your family enjoyed in your stay.
I have already passed your kind words on to the bar and the restaurant staff and of course to the rest of our team who ensured we met your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you all back in the near future.
My Kindest Regards
THANKS JAMES!!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,889)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Nice hotel but dated, friendly staff good selection of food and drinks, our first trip abroad so could not compare it to anything, not far from the beach, a nice walk through the town thou did get hassled from shop owners selling toot but we would walk down early before they opened, beach was lovely and found a fantastic bar in the cliffs,
Gym in hotel was very disappointing, well you couldn't call it a gym really

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul M

Dear Paul.

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your comment on TRIPADVISOR .
It was indeed a pleasure to read that you were overall satisfied in your first stay in Lloret de Mar with opur service and enjoyed your stay with us.
We already passed your nice comments throught our staff.
About our Gym of course is not a professional but I understand that could be better and we will try to make it better in the next future.
Best Regards.

Thanks Paul!!!!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Arrived for an all inclusive weekend break and looked good to start with. Part of a group of 30 booking in and was handled reasonably efficiently but with plenty of sighs and face pulling from the single receptionist.

Allocated room 10 I head off to find my room on the ground floor directly off the main corridor between the lift block and the restaurant. Room looked good until I opened the curtains - nothing more than a rendered wall for a view and no sun. may as well not have had windows :(

Heading off to reception to ask about changing rooms to be greeted with "The hotel is full, we have no other rooms - ask again tomorrow". Very odd how an hour later she appeared to have lots of rooms to check the next bus load of lucky punters in to.

Food was very meh. The four days I was there I had only one thing that could be described as hot. All of the other "hot" food was never more than lukewarm - the proliferation of microwave ovens around the dining room showing this was not unusual. The morning "bacon" was something off another planet, beans always cold, never any scrambled eggs and the first time i've seen a Spanish hotel restaurant without an omelette chef.

All inclusive bar worked well on the whole. A green card to exchange for a plastic cup and a black "All inclusive" card to show every time you wanted another drink. Some of the bar staff were really friendly as you'd expect but some just obviously didn't want to be there. As an example a friend wanted a hot chocolate at 11.30pm as a nightcap so went to the machine to find a member of the bar staff there "finished for cleaning at 11.30" was the response as he turned the machine off and cleared off. Another member of the bar staff came over, switched it back on and my friend got her hot chocolate.

And now for the noise. This really was something else - screaming, shouting, loud drunken arguments, hammering on doors, slamming doors, loud conversations on balconies until 4 or 5am. I appreciate that it's not the hotel causing the noise but if it's a regular thing where is the security to sort it out? Lots of our party could get little more than catnaps. I had earplugs.

Location was ok with plenty of restaurants and a supermarket nearby. Beach was about a 15 minute walk from the hotel.

So all in all a bit of a disappointment. Yes - it might have been cheap. But it was a cheap hotel. I'll not venture back :(

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 1-10
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank shauney
HTOPHotels, Director Comercial at H.TOP Royal Star & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Shauney.
We are very sorry to have failed your own expectations. We work hard to make the things well and that our clients enjoy and fell happy in our HTOP ROYAL STAR but unfortunately that is not possible ..
I have to tell you that before the group leaved the Hotel we were talking with some guests of your group and they were overall happy with our services.
However I would like to make clear that HTOP ROYAL STAR is a four star Hotel and meet current regulation to keep this category year after year .

Best Regards

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel room was a bit shabby but clean. Food was very good and plenty to choose from but the management need to do something about the waste of food. It was very annoying to see people loading up their tables with food which they had no intention of eating and the badly behaved children throwing food and handling food that they were not going to eat. I expect the prices would drop dramatically if the hotel was filled with Brits instead of rude obnoxious ignorant Europeans. If the hotel charged €5 per wasted plate of food and made a rule that children under 12 had to be accompanied by an adult at all times they would soon stop doing it. We leave on Friday 27/6 and will not be sorry to get back to civilisation!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank bedf0rdgal
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

The room was a standard room and very clean. The room and balcony were cleaned daily and the towels changed. We left quite a few things behind on depature and the cleaner had bagged them and handing them into reception enabling us to retrieve our goods giving me a lot of faith in the staff at this hotel.

Now for the most slated thing - THE FOOD! and this is what we dreaded the most but again we were suprised. I am a very fussy eater and i found something to eat every night. I did not find the food cold at all as i had previously read. My partner also enjoyed the food an was far more adventrous than myself. They had fresh fruit, salads, chips, pasta and rice everynight. They changed the meats so one night you'd hve a choice between chicken beef and fish another night turkey pork and a different type if fish. they also had another section with speciality dishes most of which were spanish and delicious. The deserts looked lovely, i dont eat desert so cant comment on taste but they were like mini deserts and looked cute. They had my partners stamp of approval anyways. The only one problem we encountered with the food was for my daughter. She is 7 and they didn't really cater for children so she did struggle to find things she liked on most days. However she did manage fine with the breakfast.

The hotel in itself was nice, pleasant and not as dated as what i expected from the reviews. The childrens club was great and kept my lil one entertained eah night. The flamenco show was also very good. They had a very good reptile show on one day too which was also very good. The bar staff and the entertainment were always polite and friendly.

We used all of the outside pools and the indoor pool and had no problem with any of them. The main one did get very busy and was sometimes difficult to get a sun lounger so i would recommend getting down early, and this pool has more sun than the other.

The location of the hotel is fab. Its a 10 min walk to lloret de mar beach and lloret centre and a 10 min walk the other direction to fenals beach. We preferred fenals beach but everyone has different taste.

Local bus station is a 5 minute walk with regular buses to all resorts on costa brava and also into barcelona. Very good prices too.

I honestly do not understand what the bad reviews are all about. We paid a bargain price and were more than satisfied. I would go again and i would pay more than what we did. I dont know if the bad reviews are from people who expect to pay next to nothing and want the world or wether they just like to moan. But we had no problems and would revisit. I believe you get what you pay for and we were haopy with that.

The only one negative thing we did experience is a LOT of rowdy german students. They were no real problem just a bit loud and this is not a problem with the hotel just timing of when we went. The first 3 days was a lot of older french people and things were wuite calm. Then the last 4 days we had a lot of germans who were ready to party. From my understanding they had finished school for the year and they arrived in force. They were polite and friendly however and caused no real problems. They just liked to sing and dance a lot as youngsters do and obviously arrived back early hours of the morning.

Thanks H TOP ROYAL STAR After reading all the reviews on here we were dreading arriving at this hotel but we were delightfully suprised. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist who made sure there was food available to us and explained everything to us.

Thanks H TOP ROYAL STAR for a fab holiday. We will see you again soon :-)

Thanks H TOP ROYAL STAR for a fab holiday. We will see you again soon :-)

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank chickaboo2912
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Hi there,
We just been to this hotel, and we confirm that hotel was upto standard.
This is one of the best 4* star hotel, good food, decent rooms , and good customer service provided by staff.

Although we reach hotel at midnight 11:45 pm , staff on reception desk was wonderful and manage to offer snack to us.
From start with breakfast in morning , lunch and dinner , everything was perfect.

We read previously reviews, and we confirms that excellent hotel for holidays with best value for money.

Room Tip: Balcony views are best room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Firstly the positives..
The location is very good and we found the hotel, although very dated was kept to a very good overall clean standard.
On the whole staff were very good.
The reception were superb, really informative and gave detailed local knowledge.
The hotel was really fully staffed, probably more staff than we have seen anywhere.
It was a very cheap price but not really as all inclusive as we expected.
They had a hidden charge for nearly everything.
Wi fi is not free even in the reception.. Go to Mc Donalds it`s free there...
Sauna charged.
Coctails one type of their choice per day otherwise charged.
Real barrista coffee charged..
Sangria. charged
Bingo. charged.. can`t believe that one can you neither could we.
Fridges. a 4 star with no fridge oh you can have one for a charge..
Air conditioning.. if you wake up sweating after 2AM don`t worry it`s not broke they switch it off to save money and let us sweat like pigs.
Beware it`s like a riot at night.
We had hoardes of German teenagers running wild all night screaming and shouting blind drunk.
They don`t seem to care at all..
This hotel is getting really run down and ready for an update.
Can`t see how it got 4 stars ever...
The food was plentiful but some f the worst we have ever encountered.
The only decent spread was the Catalonian fayre on the Friday evening that was really good.
No idea how they can ruin good food so well..
The only meat they seem to be able to cook is chicken.
We`re hardened meat eaters and we nearly turned into veggies, soggy ones though!!!
Please listen to this honest review, yes it is cheap but not too good....
Never again !!!

Room Tip: High floor, low rooms are very noisy you will not sleep at all due to teenage drunks. Also rear roo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple