“Nice views, rude staff”

Ranked #103 of 124 Hotels in Lloret de Mar
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Nice views, rude staff”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I came here on a girls holiday in August 2013. We were very pleased with the appartments for what we paid, they were spacious and had lovely views of the sea, unfortunately the staff were incredibly rude and uncooperative. There was a 150€ deposit to be paid for each room upon arrival which was not mentioned during any stage of the booking, also some sort of tax had to be paid ontop of this however when I tired to query this the staff member could not understand me and so I couldn't figure out what this was for, in the end me and my friends just paid it because of the language barrior. We were given a list of items that were in each appartment and a cost for how much each item would cost if we were to lose or damage them, when arriving in our rooms we discovered all of us were already missing many of these and so we had to keep reporting these to the staff so that we wouldn't be charged for their loss. The man who we dealt with us upon check in was very rude and unhelpful when I asked to speak to a manager or someone who could speak English he just shrugged his shoulders. The hotel is situated in reasonable distance to the beach and the bars however this does include a rather steep hill which became a pain when trying to carry our food shopping back up to the hotel. I wouldn't reccomend staying here if you are looking to party hard because me and my friends were told to be quiet at 10pm one evening when we were drinking on the balcony, I would say that we are quite a tame group of friends and not rowdy at all but felt as if that's how they treated us. The pool is incredibly small so me and my friends only went in it on one occasion during our weeks stay. The only attractive feature of this hotel is that the rooms were perfect for us as they were very spacious and we loved the balconies, however I would not stay here again as the staff were incredibly rude and unwelcoming, possibly because we were a group of 18 year old girls and they assumed we would be trouble, however this was an unfair judgement.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank 513Lilly

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2014

ME AND MY PARTNER STAYED AT MELROSE APARTMENTS FOR 3 DAYS,the apartment was large and clean ,we had a lovely sleep every night the large bed was comfortable,we heard no noise .despite the fact there was a lot of the apartments booked,OUR RECEPTION YOUNG LADY [ROXANNE WAS ALLWAYS POLITE TO US ] roxanne spoke very good english, and made us breakfast which was lovely with our fresh orange, THE BARMAN SU WAS EXCELLENT, he made our drinks spoke perfect english we had plenty of chats with him, WE WOULD DEFITNELY COME AND STAY HERE AGAIN, me and my partner travel to all parts of spain and we love every part we have been,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank martin b
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I visited the Melrose Place Apartments in October 13 with my partner but we were part of a larger group of friends. It didn’t exactly get of to a great start when we arrived at 2pm to be told we could not check in until 4pm but when 4pm arrived some of the rooms were still not ready.

As has been mentioned several times they want a €120 deposit from you in case of damages. OK, if you are a single sex stag party I could understand this but this blanket policy is ridiculous in my opinion. They also give you a list for everything in the apartment so they can charge you in case of breakages or missing items so make sure you check it carefully and report any missing items.
That said you can use a credit card and we had no issue getting our deposit back at the end of the holiday.

The apartments themselves are pretty basic, twin hob, microwave, toaster and a fridge. We had missing pillows which it took three requests over as many days to get the extra pillows on ‘the list’
We also had a remote for the TV but not for the satellite.

The floor was pretty grubby, no way had it been cleaned prior to our arrival and the shower was loose in ALL the apartments. If there are two of you, get in the shower quick so your partner ends up with half a cold shower lol.

To sum up, the apartments were basic and a bit grubby but they were fine for somewhere to crash and I should point out we obviously went at the end of the season and we did have a sea view.

Another couple in our group had no patio furniture and when this was raised it was made clear they had no intention of sourcing them any!

The pool is very deep, certainly not for young children but there was hardly anyone hanging around during the day so sunbed availability was not an issue.

The reason nobody was hanging around was the service from the ‘bar’ and the quality of the food.
Do your self a favour and stick to a ham and cheese roll, anything more complicated than that takes and age and is clearly microwaved!
The bar, which is supposed to stay open until 1am, was always shut when we got back on an evening, sometimes as early as 10am.
The day staff (mainly students as far as I could tell were policte enough but the little barman/nightwatchman had a really miserable attitude, thoroughly unpleasant to the point whether I was weighing up if a smack in the chops was worth €120!!

If all this is worrying you, don’t worry too much as there are a few bars just at the bottom of the hill, we gave up eating and drinking at the bar at the hotel and just wandered off site. In particular we spent lots of time at the Bodega Christina, basic menu but good quality and cheap booze! There is also a supermarket at the foot of the steps.

From all the reviews I was expecting ‘Cardiac Hill’ to be something akin to the north face of the Eiger! In reality it was not that bad and I am chronically unfit!

It is a bit of a trek into town though but at the end of the night, a taxi back from the far end of town is only circa €6.

All in all, If you have already booked a holiday at Melrose Place apartments then don’t worry too much, it’s not the greatest place on earth but I’m sure you’ll have a good time. We had a great week despite the accommodation!

If you are considering booking a holiday here however then I would strongly advise you to avoid, there are much better options in Lloret and the surrounding area!

Room Tip: Phone another hotel lol
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lee1340

Travellers are raving about these Lloret de Mar hotels

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

If it was possible to score this as a minus, I would. Quite frankly, the star they get here is by default. I went to Lloret with my fiancée, and this was our first trip abroad together: this "hotel" made it the perfect start. Not. After being dumped in no mans land by our transfer (which took over 2 hours and NOT the specified one hour) with no directions to the place from our driver, our initial impression was that we had been dropped off in Beirut. Thinking they had made an error with our drop off point, we aimlessly wandered looking for the place, being given umpteen different sets of directions from locals and other hotels. It took the best part of an hour to find it, and when we did it nearly killed us walking up the hill to it. We are by no means unfit people! When we finally arrived, we noticed thatvit was apartments, and NOT a hotel as advised in our booking. We waited 20 minutes for someone to come to reception, as there was no means to get their attention, and were immediately startled when they tried to take 120 euros deposit from us before giving us our key. When I refused to pay, I was told I wouldn't be staying there unless I did. This fee was never explained in our booking, but when we told reception this, we were made out to be liars. Guys, if you want to avoid this, as it takes a chunk from your spending money, threaten them with your embassy/consulate, and they will change their tune. After 30 more minutes of arguing, I came away with my 120 euros. Good job, as we hadn't seen the room yet! (And they also had the cheek to ask for a tourist tax fee which, apparently is Catalan law. Bull! I've been before, to Barcelona, and hadn't been asked for this silly fee. Anyway, back to the room.....dirty, run down, cramped and very old fashioned. NOTHING LIKE THE PICTURES!!! And in the four days we stayed, it was never cleaned or given fresh towling. An absolute shambles. The TV didnt work, there were shutters covering the balcony doors (which did come up if you could be bothered to manoeuvre them back down) and the place was too noisy. The bar was never opened beyond 9pm, despite us being told 1am, and the security/night porters did not speak any English. Sure, it's helpful if we learn a bit of the lingo, but this is not very comforting for tourists that the guts in charge of your security are clueless as to what you're saying. Other than that, other little problems were a lack of lighting in the doorways, a vending machine that never had anything you wanted, or if it did, ate your change, and a table area by the pool that you were not allowed to eat or drink at - so if you wanted any refreshment, you were restricted completely to the bar area and its lack of air con. This place is bad. Real bad.

Room Tip: I doubt they have good rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Toastie1
Manchester
Reviewed 15 June 2013

You get what you pay for I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived after the terrible reviews I had read apartment was large and clean everything you need for s/c only bad thing was the cardiac workout I had twice a day when returning to the apartment defiantly not a walk for faint hearted or not fully mobile,,, staff were friendly and helpful no problems at all

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

when we arrived the night watch man didnt have a clue on how to check some one in he took are deposit that you have to pay incase you brake any thing they charge you for it its 3 euros per cup or plate an glasses 100 euros for a microwave ect wile he was running around trying to sort out room keys hed askd for are passports witch he left unatended twice he didnt say when he wantd them for just kept saying in the morning well i wasnt goin any were with out an speshly as he left them twice its self catering but the rooms dont even have a kettel there is a fridge but it didnt work very well are drinks were cooler by being left out in the shade there were no pillows for the sofa bed an no sheets we had to hire them the next day when the staff were in witch wasnt often the bar was shut more then it was open so if u wantd a snack or drink you had to walk to the shop witch is at the bottom of a killer hill me an the kids used the pool its very deep even at the shallow end it lookd dirty an i didnt see any one clean it all week when we got out of the pool an went up to are room we got a know on the door and were told off for making the floor around the pool wet i cudnt let my children out on the balcony as the glass was very wobbly an lookd unsafe the windows an doors are very drafty an when you have the shutters down they rattle like mad so if ur just lookin for some to sleep its ok but the beach is cheaper i wudnt recomend this place to any one with small children or any one with moblity issues as its on a very steep hill its not child friendly or even adult fridenly the staff were missrable an only did what they had to the bar was hardly open there are a lot more nicer an just as cheap places to stay

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2012

My boyfriend and i stayed here in early October. We both really enjoyed it. We read some of the reviews and were a bit worried but we had no problems. Yes you have to pay a 120 euro deposit but it does tell you that when your booking, and you get it back with no problems at the end of your stay. We arrived around 4pm and were greeted by a really nice man who was really helpful, told us where all the local shops were and everything we needed to know. Our apartment on the first floor was great! Had everything in that we needed (apart from a kettle) but you can always boil water on the hob. The company own a few hotels in the local area and the staff did sometimes have to close our bar for a few hours to go to other hotels but they always gave notice of when this was going to happen. All staff were very friendly too.
The only thing i would say is make sure you wear shoes when using the hob in the kitchen as i got an electric shock and when i told you receptionist his response was just 'you should wear shoes' which is quite dangerous!
But apart from that can't fault this hotel all in all had a great holiday and we have already said we will be going back there next year! :))

Room Tip: Doesn't matter which room you stay in they all have the same view but i think the one bedroom ap...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple