“The worst meal I had in Devon...such a disappoinment!”
Review of The Thatch

The Thatch
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Croyde
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Ludlow, United Kingdom
“The worst meal I had in Devon...such a disappoinment!”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The extensive menu, lovely beer garden, large original features restaurant and welcoming staff filled me with huge confidence and I left utterly disappointed in my meal. The menu was large, boasting a range of homemade dishes and there were even more on the specials board.

The food we received was of varying quality and so I've reviewed each item to give fair comment.

My hubby had calamari as a started, beautifully presented, baby squid and squid rings in a light batter, with a dressed salad, gorgeous, tasted and looked fantastic.

I however had chicken liver pate...it came in a small ramakin on a plate next to some over done toast and butter in packets. No garnish. The pate was watery, slopping and tasted vile. I questioned if it was the lamb pate off the specials as I had never tasted anything quite like it. I ate the toast.

Mains....my husband had chilli, it wasn't as hot as expected and presented with chips, some cooked, some not & salad.

The homemade Devonshire steak & ale pie.....pie mix in a bowl with a just cooked puff pastry lid. Stewed beef that was so overcooked it was dry, the gravy had a nice flavour but the veg bar the peas were overcooked & half the chips had a funny taste to them.

We left £50 lighter & I had porridge when I got back.......such a let down. I did overhear the chef wasn't in but if this is the result they shouldn't serve food in his/her absence!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank HevNige

Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Friendly and Happy Staff”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

A lovely traditional pub with great service. The food is fantastic, they often have live bands and is located in a beautiful village.

Visited April 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The menu is very long - and varied and we were very surprised at the quality (and quantity!) of the food. Service was friendly and efficient.

Visited June 2013
Chesterfield
“Don't take us for granted.....”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I find myself agreeing with a few of the recent reviewers on here. The once excellent Thatch is not so excellent anymore.
Some staff are great but others totally ignorant. i have decided to write a review soley based on last weekends experience.
Telepehone to reserve a table and told i cant do this....walk down the Village and ask for a table . OK its busy so 45 min wait no problem. (Despite lack of friendly welcome by Mr miserable at the restaurant reception)
Meal was Ok and good size too.
Sunday night again we went to see Mr Glum and he said let me see if we have a table...walked into the restaurant had a chat with his mates. Came back to say they were struggling but would we be out in 1.5hrs as the tables reserved. Again yes thats OK but as we waked through the place was only 20% full. Are they playing mind games? Is it just me? Was i wearing the wrong surf leisure wear?
Must say the big fella who takes the drinks orders was a nice fella. Make him the manager, He knows how to smile.
I wished the Thatch had competition but they have the monopoly in Croyde with BB's next door.
Off to Cornwall next time

2 Thank rugbyking
Stafford
“Third Strike”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Travelling to Devon with friends, I reluctantly agreed to eat at The Thatch with them, despite my comments relating to previous visits. The food was very good for pub grub and every one enjoyed their meal. I had the ribs and they were excellent. Unfortunately this will be my last time, not because of the food, location or service, but based on the cost of the meal. Pub grub for top restaurant prices is not what any in my group expected to pay. Despite the prices being printed on the menu, the shock only occurred when I showed them the bill. The cost means that you do not get the meal that you pay for, quality, size and portions did not match the expense. So The Thatch has gained it's third strike from me.

• Visited June 2013